It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jewelry help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hello all been lurking here for a very long time. I have tried to identify a few items of my grandfathers for a long time now and have had very little luck. I was hoping that someone here has seen these items before and can give me some insight. I know that one of the rings is a Mason's ring. My grandmother was kept rather in the dark about allot of what he did / belonged to. I hope someone here can help shed some light on this. I have been looking for 20 plus years now. Going to attach links to the pics as first time posting here I hope I dont screw it up to badly.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't know about the first two... not familiar with MOC.

That ring is friggin' awesome though, nice find! At least your g-pa had taste.
It doesn't look to be explicity Masonic, but there is the skull and crossbones, which is a Masonic emblem that does get put onto rings and such occasionally. In fact the ring I want has a skull and crossbones on it.

The fourth one it told me I had to be signed in to view.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hrm strange it gave me that just now as well will look on fixing it. That is the ring I know is masonic. I have no idea either what who MOC is or was.

edit to add url hopefully working

[edit on 19-2-2008 by drift393]

[edit on 19-2-2008 by drift393]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
Hrm strange it gave me that just now as well will look on fixing it. That is the ring I know is masonic. I have no idea either what who MOC is or was.

Got me stumped on the MOC thing too. The figures look a bit like skeletons, though. Interesting indeed. And I agree about the Skull & Crossed Bones ring. It could be Knights Templar. Are there emblems on the sides?

edit to add url hopefully working

Yep. It worked that time. That is a "Consistory" Ring. It is one of the emblems of the 32nd Degree of the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry. The enamel is missing on the eagle's breast, but likely had a "32" on it, although it could have been the Hebrew character "Yod." The 33rd Degree eagle is similar, but the eagle has a crown over the two heads (or more correctly the eagle is "coroneted")

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thanks for he info regarding the "Consistory" Ring. It actually has a diamond where the breast of the eagle is I used a scanner to get the pics and I guess that the diamond didnt pick up to well in it. The sides of that ring are rather well worn down and very little left although it does appear that a 32 in an inverted triangle is on one side. The other side only a spec of black enamle can be seen. I will do some digging for Consistory to see what I can find out.

As for the Skull ring all that are on the sides are some zig-zag lines on each side that make up a box. I will try and scan the sides on that one.

Any idea about the emblems on the back of the MOC tie clip? At least I am assuming it is a tie clip.

Thanks for your help so far I am very interested in the Masons and even applied to a lodge. As things turned out I had a bunch of events happen that limit me to the house i.e. watching the daughter while the wife is going to night school that prevent me from following through atm. Hopefully in a year when she finishes.....

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hi drift,

I did some quick searching and came up with two "secret societies" that use the MOC acronym on this page

Secret Societes

The first is Modern Order of Chaldeans

And the second is Military Order of the Cootie...which I thought at first was a joke until I realized it had something to do with war veterans.

I'm sorry I didn't have time to actually research either to see if the tieclip fits in

Michelle

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Good find, I honestly though you made that up until I located this....

History of the Cooties

It appears you can not catch them from icky girls.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Not sure on the tie clip. A sub group of the White Brotherhood from England possibly based on the center marking on the back. Cool little keepsakes though.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i was gonna say the rings remind me of world war 2 mementos. the skulls and the double eagle of the dreaded SS nazis. now that would be cool and very historical (and pricey too).

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow some great leads for me to follow up on!!! Much appreciated. I have also found a medal that is a WWI 1917 1918 service medal. I do have some reservations about digging to deep as I am not sure what answers I may come up with from some of the leads provided. As former Army I am pretty familiar with alot of symbolisim etc that units etc use regarding patches, coins, etc. So sometimes something sinister looking isnt quite what it means.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
One solved ty very much Michelle129 !!!

ebay Military order of the Cootie item

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Double-headed Eagle: A Masonic seal and initiation symbol. The number inside the pyramid over the eagle's head is 33. The eagle is a universal symbol representing the sun, power, authority, victory, the sky gods and the royal head of a nation.

the skull and bones ring actually reminds me of the S&B club in yale. did your gpapa go there or was a memeber?

as for the MOC no clue

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
One solved ty very much Michelle129 !!!

ebay Military order of the Cootie item

Actually two solved. The M.O.C. tie clasp is indeed from the Military Order of the Cootie. (Some info about it here)

vfw1679.tripod.com...

(more here...and I thought Shriner's wore silly hats!)

www.westfargovfw.com...

And I would say the ring is M.O.C. too, as one of the emblems of the M.O.C. (it has three "degrees") is the skull and crossed bones.

I am a collector of fraternal ritual books and the M.O.C. is one of the many such books I have. Apparently it is (or was) an "Honor" organization for the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

[edit on 19-2-2008 by senrak]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by senrak

3 degrees.. fraternal type society.. skull and bones? ..

I would say that maybe the Cooties where founded by Masons?

Interesting name though.. where on Earth did they pick that up?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by senrak

3 degrees.. fraternal type society.. skull and bones? ..

I would say that maybe the Cooties where founded by Masons?

Interesting name though.. where on Earth did they pick that up?

lol where else would you pick up cooties.....

at the playground of course!!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by drift393

You're very welcome drift...glad I could help
And Augustus...that made me LOL. I still think it's the boys that have the cooties though

Michelle

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Military Order of the Cootie is an honor association that is a part of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Organization. The primary purpose of the MOC is to provide comfort to hospitalized veterans, orphans, and widows of veterans while having a fun time. The name "Cootie" comes originates from World War I. The Filipino word for lice is KUTO. It is said that when the lice on the Soldiers heard the firing of weapons toward the Soldier, they would bite the skin causing the Soldier to duck to scratch it and avoid the bullet coming toward him. There is no malice involved in the organization. It secrecy is simply for the fun and honor of those who are active members of the VFW. You might see them at hospitals wearing funny hats and costumes all aimed to bring a smile. A lot of good has come from this organization. Simply GOOGLE "Military Order of the Cootie" for more information.

new topics

top topics

join