It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can mankind achieve omniscience?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
My son,I believe there is a scientific law that states matter cannot be created nor destroyed,only transfered.So...we know this.There is also the same law for energy.If you want to take your philisophical viewpoints and move them beyond the laws then it is up to you...but with your ametuer philisophical status(I am as well.Do not take this scornfully) I would work within the laws of physics,friend.I mean you even have a bloody physics book in your bookbag.But the idea that it COULD be destroyed is interesting.

Infinity..you obviously have a mature understanding of its definition.It is,after all,a concept.Infinity is not an amount amount.But if one says that there could not have been an infinite time BEFORE now...then thats a flawed notion.And you said it is a concept!There is no quantity infinite.So since you cannot measure infinite,is there a possibility of there being an infinite amount of time before right now?Well Frankly yes.

No matter in the space Gap?Our telescopes cannot see any?Well that does not mean there is none.Would you take an atom to be matter?Yes.We cannot see if there is or isnt matter there.

Oh,thanks to youtube member pogobat for the concepts of infinity.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
To: All

Inherent in all serious philosophical discussions is the tendency to become mired in minutia. Detail is certainly important and is necessary in order to evince an outcome; however, I am cautious that too much scrutiny on any given idea at this beginning stage may be counterproductive. I do not want to lose sight of the whole because I have focused my vision too narrowly. This can often lead to dissatisfaction and frustration, which is exactly the opposite of how I feel when I contemplate a path to omniscience. I am still battling with the sickness of doubt, “It can’t be done”, “It is impossible”. I instinctively feel that all things are possible, even though the world offers little in support of those feelings.

I am reminded of flying. Imagine how ridiculous and impossible it would have sounded two thousand years ago to say, I think it may be possible to fly and I am going to figure it out. Think how preposterous it would have been to suggest electricity or smashing atoms in a proton accelerator. I think of how few people since the beginning of mankind have actually dared to pursue the supposedly impossible. I think of how few people found the wherewithal to free their mind of limitations.

Since the beginning of people on this earth, mankind has been subjugating mankind. Most all history records the persecution of those who dared to think for themselves. Countless have been killed for expressing an idea that was contrary to the beliefs of the time. Even to this day many countries persecute the expressions of free thought. Most religions forbid free thinking and persecute those who disagree, whether that persecution be physical (they kill you), or mental (they threaten you with hell or some other hideous punishment).

We can practically count the people who have discovered or invented all the Science and Technology that presently exists. The last thing I want to do is short circuit with an overabundance of zeal, which begs the adage “Temperance in all things”, or in other words ‘My brain hurts’. This is my dilemma, if I take a break, I might miss a crucial insight, if I do not, I burn out. Getting old is going to kill me. So I race against time to become timeless.

P.S. I am in the middle of several large projects that will consume a majority of my time in the next 3 or 4 days. I look forward to responding to each and every post upon my return, as few things can compare to the potentiality of open discourse.

May truth prevail

We must expunge the paralysis of inconceivability.

Cybrseer

[edit on 20-2-2008 by cybrseer]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Austin9599945
My son,I believe there is a scientific law that states matter cannot be created nor destroyed,only transfered.So...we know this.There is also the same law for energy.If you want to take your philisophical viewpoints and move them beyond the laws then it is up to you...but with your ametuer philisophical status(I am as well.Do not take this scornfully) I would work within the laws of physics,friend.I mean you even have a bloody physics book in your bookbag.But the idea that it COULD be destroyed is interesting.

That's right, I do. In the search for truth, I believe one must consider all ideas. Anything is possible. As of now, I do not have any faith or belief in any of them. Yes, I do sense that physics is heading in the right direction, but in no way do I consider it absolute truth. Just because I'm reading a book on physics doesn't mean I believe that it is all true. The same way me and you both read the Bible or the Quran applies to this.

Infinity..you obviously have a mature understanding of its definition.It is,after all,a concept.Infinity is not an amount amount.But if one says that there could not have been an infinite time BEFORE now...then thats a flawed notion.And you said it is a concept!There is no quantity infinite.So since you cannot measure infinite,is there a possibility of there being an infinite amount of time before right now?Well Frankly yes.

Right on. I never said I denied the idea of infinity. I only said I was skeptical about it. Isn't that what we're all about, man? Skepticism? An open mind? I join in on the discussions in these forums not to try and prove what I may believe, or to disprove what others share. I'm here to share my views, learn about those of other people, consider everything, and think about it all some more. It's potentially a constant cycle of change. I'm here to learn from others, and hope that maybe they can learn from me some day, if I have anything worth consideration to them.

No matter in the space Gap?Our telescopes cannot see any?Well that does not mean there is none.Would you take an atom to be matter?Yes.We cannot see if there is or isnt matter there.

And that is just what I'm doing. That's how I'm expressing myself. For some reason, you sometimes seem to be fighting it. I'm not a warrior taking a stance, my friend. I'm just a philosopher sharing an idea. It's not meant for a bout. Anyway, my methods are as you display in this little snippet. It's about question and consideration. I never said once that I believed matter was absent in that area. We have ways of seeking the truth, but we might not ever know if there is truly an absence of matter or not.

I think that if you think about yourself while you were typing that; if you think about how you were thinking and how you were questioning, you might understand how I feel about certain things.

I believe we must consider the idea that there is no matter in there. These observations made by scientists aren't completely unreasonable. I don't like to think that people have unreasonable notions. Inaccurate, or not well thought-out, maybe; but I'd like to think that not all beliefs are unreasonable. Consider that idea; humor it as truth, for at least a small amount of time, and think about it. If there is no matter in there, then what happened to it? Further study. It's just like the quote Cybrseer shared of Einstein's about imagination. It is more important than knowledge.

Considerations like these are those that lead to greater ideas. Einstein is one example. He went completely against Newtonian laws to derive his theory of relativity. It is now one of the most genious and respected ideas of all time, and it's still just a theory.

Again, I'm not trying to fight. I just want you to understand how I feel, considering how you're one of my great friends.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cybrseer

What a refreshing post.

A sense of clarity and peace within myself has been restored in thinking about the imagination, knowledge, scrutiny, productivity, and more.

Thank you. =)

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kyuubi

on thing to understand is the fact that no old theory is dead.
We stand on the shoulders of ancient ideas.
We build upon them.
You say that Einsteins Ideas went against newtons...but,apples still fell from trees.They didnt suddenly float because of a new theory(einstein's).
And yes your post did make sense kyuubi.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Austin9599945
reply to post by Kyuubi

on thing to understand is the fact that no old theory is dead.
We stand on the shoulders of ancient ideas.
We build upon them.
You say that Einsteins Ideas went against newtons...but,apples still fell from trees.They didnt suddenly float because of a new theory(einstein's).
And yes your post did make sense kyuubi.

I never meant that relativity blew all of the laws outta the water(my mistake, if I came off like that), but really, it just goes to show that it's possible some 'laws' of physics, nature, or whatever, might not be entirely accurate, were misinterpreted, or are incomplete.

The whole contradiction of Einstein's concepts and Newtons laws stemmed from the idea that the speed of light is constant. Concepts of adding velocities had to be thought over, and other things reconsidered. If a train were going 100 km/hr and someone on it threw a tennis ball at 50 km/hr, then all together the tennis ball would totally be traveling at 150 km/hr. Considering that the speed of light is constant and that it's velocity could not be added to anything, Einstein came up with all the stuff behind the theory. It's pretty awesome. You should really look into it.

Forgive me if this seems irrelevant. I just wanted to share that with you.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by Kyuubi]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kyuubi

lol it is completely relevant do not feel bad!
haha

But im sure you understand that...the wind resistence would slow the ball down.You would have the throw the ball faster than 50k/h to make it go 150k/h.

However ^THAT^ IS irrelevant.lol

Now lets get back on topic.

Elaborate on your mankind omniscience position kuyuubi...I'd like to know,man.

btw...99.4%,my friend.^^

LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Where oh where might the Anti-Christ be? I wonder?! I say wonder because he really needs to share some of his light with the so called Christians. When one even begins to speak of the true foundation of Christianity - merely begins, I say, by mentioning denial of the world...Suddenly, out of the blue, one strangely begins speaking in a foreign tongue - a language incomprehensible. Yet the desire for enriching discussion persists - a desire to heal the blind and sick.

However, upon recognition of the hopelessness of communicating the higher principles of right thinking and right action to those who's eyes are closed - the wind starts blowing. The weather seemingly has a mind of its own?! Yet loving kindness and patience still lingers... The one seeming often times as a victim of its own whirling machinery begins to perceive that which comforts and nourishes - as if dancing the jig on the lawn in less holy attire is the way.

I suppose a definitive course of action - thinking, in DEED is the right way of looking at the situation. Juxtaposing independent understandings with those of the host; brothers?! In truth however their is a terrible hunger as if one hasn't eaten in millenia and now has a banquet of varied foodstuff which to avail himself of with impartiality. Such an unsavory dish in DEED...Yet most tasty.

They say patience is of the saints...JIT

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Wow! 3 or 4 days turned into 3 or 4 weeks. Time really goes by fast when your racing against it. Maybe soon I will learn how to run with it and then ahead of it.

By what authority are we prevented from thought?
There is no such authority.

By what authority are we limited in obtaining knowledge?

By what authority are we intellectually confined?

When someone says "it can't be done", I ask by what authority.

No power has ever been realized which has manifest authority unto mankind to inhibit our knowledge and wisdom.

Cybrseer

P.S
Fair Warning:

I have started a very controversial thread on ATS in the Conspiracies In Religion section titled; Civilization versus Islam; A win-win scenario.

I am disgusted by the apologist who seek to appease or condone the barbarity which pervades Islam.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by cybrseer]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Correction:

They moved by thread to BTS, Faith, Spirituality & Theology.

Cybrseer

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join