It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is America so Backwards When it Comes to Sex?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
In lieu of the Janet Jackson debacle during the Superbowl Halftime Show, and now Beyonce Knowles during an NBA show, and me listening to Focus on the Family( i really detest those people!!), I came to wonder:

Why is sex such a dirty word in America??

When even a square inch of breast is shown on TV, it causes an uproar. People protest, complain, write letters to the FCC. The religious right says it is the 'moral' declination of our society; we must protect our children at all costs from the indecencies of nakedness and filth!!!

Yet.........

It's ok to show Rambo and the Terminator during primetime, .s getting blown off and blood and gore everywhere. It's ok for John Rambo to turn someone into Swiss Cheese with his M60 on TV, but if American Pie is on TV, Nadia's breast scene with Jim in his room is cut out.

All this to protect our children.. But my question is: from what?

In Europe and other parts of the world, seeing a breast on TV is no major catastrophe. A nude beach, though not everywhere, is acceptable. Are the children of Europe destined for a future of sexual immorality because they saw, oh my god, a tittie on TV????

Or are we here in America backwards? Violence is so prevalent on TV, kids are almost desensitized to it. But a booby on TV, and everyone is falling on the ground, crying to god, 'WHY, WHY, o' LORD, were our precious children subjected to such indecency?' And on their way home from the Superbowl party, these same people will stop at Blockbuster and rent Terminator III.

This question goes out to all, especially our friends who live outside of the 'morally' decent borders of America.

Why is America so backwards when it comes to Sex???

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I guess you would have to go back to when europeans first came here...if I am not mistaken they were Puritans..perhaps some of the values seeped down, some did not..on the other hand if you compare the US to say some Latin countries, we (the US) are sex maniacs.....
Guess it all depends where you are and how you grew up

any

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I noticed this during the Superbowl itself, there was a streaker and you guys weren't allowed to see him because he wasn't wearing anything to cover his arse (he was wearing a thong though) and I thought that was silly, I mean, it's a guys arse, how is that gonna threaten the future generations of yer country? The only version of that incident we got to see over here had already been pixellated.
If there's a strekaer at a football game over here in the UK we usually see everything as it happens, we think it's hilarious, your media doesn't think it's funny though.
Hah, and Americans say we Brits are uptight.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Like with the streaker, that wouldn't even be sexual. It would be nudity. Think about nude or topless beaches in Europe. They aren't hot beds of steamy sex. They're just poppoing your top and getting some sun.

But America's Puritanical view has warped over the years to repress ANY and all exhibitons of nudity into sexuality. So now we're both overly puritanical and overly sexed. It's schizophrenic.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
we are just a young ignorant country, i grew up in germany and there were naked people running all over the place and it was no big deal.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yes sir! Lets apply the values and censorships of one nation to the rest of the world!
European nations have always been open about sex and sexual content. The US, on the other hand, has not.
Whats the big frailin' point? This crap goes back generations and hundreds of years, again, whats the point? Are you people mad or something because you didn't get the opportunity to see JJ breast or the streakers bum?!?!?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Are you people mad or something because you didn't get the opportunity to see JJ breast or the streakers bum?!?!?

regards
seekerof

Well for the longest time, I was so surprised when I saw a real breast...I always thought they had little squares in front of them....

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I agree with you on this one I don't see what the problem is all about.

The only thing I have to say is that I don't want every channell to be full of sex and violence because I don't want my kids to see it. But you know what my kids didn't even see the superbowl because they were in their rooms watching Toon Disney. It all boils down to what the parents do with their kids. Do you decide to let the TV watch your kids or do you do the grown up thing and watch your own kids and not just sit them in front of a TV with full control.

The problem is that everyone wants someone else to be responcible for their kids.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I agree with you there. Too many people let the TV babysit their kids.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Maybe its because there is no mention of rambos and arnolds in the bible so people dont mind them so much.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
About the J Jackson "exposure" during the Super Bowl, it wasn't the fact that her breast was revealed. It was the way it was revealed - in a forceful manner and she looked surprised and upset. She (and others) have obviously shown more on the covers of their albums and magazines. But when Timberlake ripped off the top, it looked like she wasn't expecting it and this could be seen, in a sense, as an act of violence. Yes, it was done for publicity and they both knew it was going to happen. But she did put on a good act of looking upset and embarrassed.

There is too much sex and violence and sexual violence on television and it is ultimately up to the parent(s) as to what a child watches.

As far as the US being sexually repressed, are we? Look around you - sex is everywhere, or at least sexuality is everywhere. Sex sells. It's just that too many people think that if parents or the schools talk to kids about sex, they are more apt to go out and "do it." Well, they are going to be sexually active whether someone talks to them or not. Look at the pregnancy rate for teen girls in the US. It's astonishing.

It would be better for them to be informed about STD's, pregnancy, AIDS, etc. from knowledgable sources (such as parents and/or the school) than their peers who usually know as little or less than the one asking the questions. But parents don't talk to their kids about sex and the government won't let the schools talk to kids about sex. So they get their information from peers, movies, and TV. Obviously, these aren't the best sources. When have you ever seen a "love scene" in the movies or TV where the couple stops and says, "Hold on, we have to use protection."

[Edited on 2/17/2004 by weedpickr]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
First of all, the whole issue is one more silly diversion. I can turn on the tube any night of the week, tune into network tv and see plenty of smut.

The FCC, Focus on the family, Franklin Graham and the rest of those hypocrits out there need to pull their holier than thou .s outta their arses and start talking about what's really going on... like how many of our soldiers are being killed and maimed in Iraq and Afghanistan everyday. How we're gonna get outta there. Like The shyteee economy. Like the fact that if Comcast buys Disney, there will only be FIVE entities controlling the dissemination of information - where the hell are the trustbusters anyway?!! - and like what about all of our jobs being outsourced? Remember that sucking sound Perot warned us about?

It really pisses me off b/c we just witnessed one of the best superbowls ever and this pathetic little show is what Americans and the world are going to remember.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It, while a bit disjointed & not the best he's done, did give some insights of note.

America is a consumer society - our whole house of cards is based on people geting out to the Mall every weekend.
Violence & Fear are great movers of that type of economy. Sex is as well, but too much of a thorn to the overly religious that drive the fear & violence market, so it's kept repressed.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by any
I noticed this during the Superbowl itself, there was a streaker and you guys weren't allowed to see him because he wasn't wearing anything to cover his arse (he was wearing a thong though) and I thought that was silly, I mean, it's a guys arse, how is that gonna threaten the future generations of yer country? The only version of that incident we got to see over here had already been pixellated.
If there's a strekaer at a football game over here in the UK we usually see everything as it happens, we think it's hilarious, your media doesn't think it's funny though.
Hah, and Americans say we Brits are uptight.

Whats messed up to me is, that this guys was arested and done what ever to, But in a couple of months, companys are going to be making money off this guy. It might be next season. cmpanys are going to have the shot of him running across the field on TV ADs.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
First of all, the whole issue is one more silly diversion. I can turn on the tube any night of the week, tune into network tv and see plenty of smut.

That's true. But what I noticed when I was living in Germany, was, say for example, a commercial on TV about shampoo. It shows a lady in the shower, bare breasted. No big deal. What we see in America is not really 'smut'.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What gets me is that nudity is taboo, but violence is practically encouraged in the media. What the hell is up with this ass backwards country?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
It, while a bit disjointed & not the best he's done, did give some insights of note.

America is a consumer society - our whole house of cards is based on people geting out to the Mall every weekend.
Violence & Fear are great movers of that type of economy. Sex is as well, but too much of a thorn to the overly religious that drive the fear & violence market, so it's kept repressed.

Boy, mike moore is a real inventive thinker. Either that or he could have watched fight club.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
KJ, I believe he had been working on this since before Fight Club had started in theaters.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Time wasted if you ask me. He had at one time said he would run for . of the NRA, but chose to do the film instead.

I think if he wanted to make a real difference, he would have run.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
True, but he is a nobody compared to Moses...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join