It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is the great evil of mankind.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Remember your history, and do some research. Christianity came along some 3000 years after Hinduism, and 2000 years after Buhdism, these are only 2 examples, and that's not to mention the Pagan religions that predate even those. Christianity was born out of a group of men's desire to opress and exploit the tribal ppl of it's day. There is doccumented evidence of this, and if you research instead of blindly following what you are told to believe, you will see that from it's beginning, Christianity was made up and carried out by men who wanted to exploit the land and it's ppl, steal what others would not give freely, and opress anyone who would oppose it's beliefs. I'm sorry my friend, but that is EVIL! Want to be in a position to defend your Christian beliefs to the rest of us, then catch up, get your nose out of the Bible and read another book, I think you'll find that there are many antient writings that will answer more questions for you then you'll ever find in the Bible.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

Wow, now that is downright venemous. Could you be specific about why exactly you believe such sinister impulses were behind the birth of Christianity?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

The Hebrew faith, from which Jesus came was around BEFORE the Great Flood.
Although it wasn't called Judaism until Jacob.

It's how man takes the throne that makes it evil.
God is LOVE.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by enchantress62
Remember your history, and do some research. Christianity came along some 3000 years after Hinduism, and 2000 years after Buhdism, these are only 2 examples, and that's not to mention the Pagan religions that predate even those. Christianity was born out of a group of men's desire to opress and exploit the tribal ppl of it's day. There is doccumented evidence of this, and if you research instead of blindly following what you are told to believe, you will see that from it's beginning, Christianity was made up and carried out by men who wanted to exploit the land and it's ppl, steal what others would not give freely, and opress anyone who would oppose it's beliefs. I'm sorry my friend, but that is EVIL! Want to be in a position to defend your Christian beliefs to the rest of us, then catch up, get your nose out of the Bible and read another book, I think you'll find that there are many antient writings that will answer more questions for you then you'll ever find in the Bible.

Wow how wrong can you be ?!

Your estimates of Bhudism and Hindhuism are a couple of thousand years off, but hey, I get your point.

Your ideas on the origins of Christianity are also waaaay of, but again, the general "vibe" is in the right direction despite the fact you don't really know what your talking about.

Judaism resulted from the tribes of Israel being united, these were tribes that had been wandering the desert, but more likely had run away (escaped) the pharos.

It was from this religion that christianity gleaned some of its roots (some), but remember both were cults and tribal.

The christain cult was oppressed and scorned for centuries until constantine made it the official religion of Rome.

It is clearly based on pagan rituals which were carried from judaism, through to christianity from the worship of the sun gods as almost every facet of the religion is based squarely on the season and astrological calendar.

There is no record of Jesus Christ ever existing, the Bible was created 300 years after his death, he did not exist ever.

Religion is a construct of man, and if man has problems then one of htese is religion.

The only place it belongs is in the museum, the sooner the better. There is nothing, not a thing, which religion does for humanity, which humanity does not do for humanity. Simple.

The Church existed and thrived based on taxes, and extracting finances for the forgivenss of sins, rememberance in the after life etc. It is a fundamentally corrupt institution which if it had any other guise would be outlawed and convicted of crimes against humanity.

There is no law against believing, it should not be outlawed, and people are fre to do as they please, and as such, religion should be looked upon with disdain, believers should see counselling for their madness, no chold should be exposed to it before 18, and those who do wish to hold the faith should be utterly ridiculed by intelligent society and held up like the ignorant trash they are....so is my belief.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

oooookkkk. If Jesus never existed, why do we have historical records of there being a Christian church in Rome approximately less than 30 years after his death? That's not enough time for a myth to spring up and people believe it. What's more, why didn't the Jews refute such a myth if it did, in fact, exist? They out of all people had plenty of motivation to do so.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
From time immemorial there have been people who first and foremost want to have "job security" so to say, an easy living as well as importance, influence and control. Those people have taken one of three branches, they became priests, bankers, royalty. The priests and bankers have long known it's better to be the power behind the thrown then to sit on it. They remain the corrupter of history and degrader of humanity. More than anything they want their position secure and today they want to fool their children and relatives and associates into believing they are entitled. If they don't hide behind entitlement, there is nothing left for them but to be viewed as scum bag, con artists, mass murdering thieves and liars.

All old religions no matter whether they are fakes from day one or at one time had a genuine spiritually competent leader of some degree, are today dead. The life blood of true religion is the living spiritual master. Without this person there is no link upward. Books written by the master (not by the con artists later) are only a source of some inspiration. You must have a living, breathing, master who is conducting the current to earth from whatever higher region of the creation they have access to. One master (so called) is not the same as another. Some have had greater (higher) access than others. Their writings are not the same. Understanding the cosmology of the creation becomes essential in understanding where we are and just where we need to be and the stratification of teachers and their knowledge.

There is true religion today and the heart of all the "evils" and world event that have manifest in the last 150 years, have occurred to misdirect humanity from true religion and the fact that the true Supreme Being has manifested and his emissaries are continually manifesting in the world, one at a time, and will do so until the creations of matter have mercifully been depopulated.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

If you think religion is so horrible, you should witness what happens in the absence of it, more specifically the obscene regimes of Mao and Stalin and the millions dead left in their wake!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

We know men *and women*do bad things, but let's not let them use the cover of religion and 'sacred' beliefs to protect and justify those things..

Exactly. Which is exactly why I said Religion is not evil in and of itself.

Everyone, atheists and theists, should have been outraged with President Bush's "god told me to invade Iraq", as they should be when other extremists resort to religion to promote and justify their actions. Were you?

Yep. I think they should have impeached his zealot arse right then and there.

There's no excuses and justification in my post, I'm only telling it how I see it. And I never said atheists just for being atheists never do any evil or intolerance, so why should I be making up excuses?

To maintain that "religion" is evil and makes people do the crap they do is an excuse man.
Especially considering the fact alot of good people that have never killed anyone and never would will not give up their beliefs and eventually it will turn to "kill them" as it is human nature.
Also like I said it is taking the responsilbity of these acts away from the people who actually did the acts and puts it on a concept.

Your analogy isn't valid in my opinion, because first of all, Nazi Germany wasn't an atheist state, and secondly, the Nazis didn't do what they did because they were atheists. They didn't use atheism as a justification to do the things they did.

The Nazi's did evil things.
I severely doubt they thought at the time they did anything evil.
That statement was an example of how people that do evil things generally don't think they are doing anything else because they have a nice insulation of excuses.
I thought I was clear about that.
I classify Nazism as a an example of Nationalism coupled with racism gone HORRIBLY wrong.
Not atheism.
Guess I needed to clarify that better.

I'm not against religion, I'm against religion being used as cover for intolerance, atrocities, injustice, discrimination, and everything else we as a society should fight against. You and other 'believers' should also be outraged by this, and I think since you're an intelligent and impartial person, you are.

But unless I have you confused with someone else or weren't you maintaining religion was evil and needed to go?

And I am not a believer, I have many criticisms of the beliefs of Christianity that I keep to myself because I would be as bad as the Christians that go on their rants of self-righteousness.

And yea it does outrage me. But I am positive the problem is not religion it's people and you spend most your time agreeing with me.

Of course that as being an atheist I can't help but scoff at any attempt of passing religion as if it was a seal for righteousness

Agreed actually. But I do maintain other people's right to believe in whatever they want. I am hardly the fountain of all knowledge.

And Fox, that doesn't matter. I haven't heard about any Buddhism motivated killings but either way.
Thats not the point at all.
Religion does not in and of itself kill.
And blaming all of mankind's problems on it is just plain retarded.
Not saying you do but there are those that do otherwise we'd not be having this conversation.

The problem is humanity and it is humanity that needs to change.
Not the concepts he created.

Sorry for my lateness but work suxor.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
ok. after reading this for about 30-45 mins. straight. I decided i should post a view from... well someone who's not in total agreement.

for one, certain people claim religion is not evil, (flame me if you wish but do so in Private message) but how can you count that for thousands of years dating back even to the times of the crusades wars have been waged in GOD's name.
Even now another " crusade " is occuring in Iraq. ( Bush = christian vs Muslims )

Honestly, if one is to believe in a religion, that's fine. I only would ask that they seek out ALL the information - including that that is secluded by such religious leaders as the pope etc.

Nag Hammandi for example. - Pope's sanctions decree the scrolls found as heresy, because it's the closest thing to that of what Jesus may have actually said.

If such information was not decreed Heresy the pope would lose all power.. that's a 35 BILLION loss per year. - It all comes down to money people.
Everything that the church ( and im not just bagging on catholicism here as i was raised one, until i found information for myself at 13) has done since the time of Constantine the great has been to their own means. If you dont believe me, go to google and look go Gnosticism and start reading. Gnosticism deals with all the information suppressed by the Church.

* breath *

I'm not trying to discredit anyone in any certain way. i just think that if someone is going to claim that there's a " GOD " or Spiritual Being, that they shouldn't suppress all materials related to it that could limit their power here.

anyways, i'll get off my soap box now.

- crimson

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant
But unless I have you confused with someone else or weren't you maintaining religion was evil and needed to go?

That must be it, because I have never said such a thing.

What I've always spoken against was the use of religion as a flag, because some people use it as if it's somehow a justification or gives their actions/words some higher meaning or righteousness, when in fact most of the times it is used to promote and shield one's real motives or agendas (ie Bush's "god told me to invade Iraq").

As I stated in that post of mine, I don't really care nor is it up to me to judge what people want to believe in when it comes to religion, as long as those beliefs don't have any impact on my way of life.

The same way, I'm sure, that a religious person wouldn't like to have some other religion's laws/customs imposed on them, or impact their lives, if they lived in a (supposedly) secular country.

So when I see or hear things like "creationism should be taught in public schools", or "the United States is a christian nation" I have to speak up.

ed: sp.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by danx]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
So when I see or hear things like "creationism should be taught in public schools", or "the United States is a christian nation" I have to speak up.

I totally agree. The Founding of the united states was based on religious freedom. and imo its anything but this day in age...

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Crimsonone6

Waged by people. For greed. And with the excuse of Gawd.
Once again another person lists the symptons and not the disease.

If you want to blame a concept for all mankind's problems go right ahead.
Rather than mankind itself. Where the blame belongs IMHO.
And I see an agenda there that has nothing to do with peace.

Every single ideology that has stated
"I have it right. They have it wrong. You have to get rid of the THEM and make them us or eliminate them for there to be peace."
has bloodshed somewhere in its history or future.
Sure practically every single one has had this statement.
A testiment to how screwed up we are.

That statement in and of itself is a self fulfilling prophecy of death by the simple fact people are going to always believe different things, no one sees things exactly like the next ones. Even if you did manage to wipe out all the "them".
Eventually there will be a split again and the whole crap cycle starts all over again.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

Then we are pretty much in agreement.
Cheers!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Please Re-Read what i wrote and take the time to actually think about it.

I didn't place blame on symptoms. The wars based from the crusades on, are waged by one man - CLAIMING he's gotten word from a HIGHER power ( ie- god ) If you do your research you'll find out thats what happened. - again please read before stating that it's based on " human " problems. Sure humanity has its issues, but Imo - Most of these issues are caused by RELIGIOUS BIAS.

for instance, some Muslims are taught from birth that christians are infidels, and vice versa. - in fact - it even says killing an infidel is the path to heaven....

have a nice day.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Crimsonone6

*sarcasm warning*
Yes a concept rather than the person doing something is at fault.
*sarcasm warning over*
You might want to re-read yourself.
And while your at it go farther back in the thread and read the discussion on the crusades.
I have done my research sir. Beyond just sniffing at the surface to make assumptions that supported my preconcieved ideals.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Actually there is examples of horribleness to be had all around.
With this, without this, with that, without that.
Across the board.
There is no one pancea that will fix all of mankinds problems.
Especially when you remember no two people see the same thing exactly the same. Thus the problem with eye witness testimony.
Not religion. Not it's abscense. (yea I misspelle)
Except learning to tolerate and applying tolerance vigoriously.
And in the end all that will fix is the intolerance problems.

Intolerance is one of the diseases that infests humanity and all he does.
Greed is one of the the diseases that infests humanity and all he does.
Not religion or any other concept that mankind has created.
Because those concepts can and often are twisted for the purposes of the diseases that infest mankind.

And I mean disease not in the biological sense but of a general sense of malignancy you can't contract intolerance if you don't allow yourself to.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
religion:

1 a: the state of a religious b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

It is in my best opinion that "Religion" is basically your "beliefs" about God. I believe what your talking about here is structured religions that suppress and oppress their people like what the early catholic church did by not allowing its members to read and interpret the bible thus keeping them from the truth.

I have a set of religous beliefs but what i believe is not all of it, you see Its not a religion, its a relationship. When you speak with your spouse, friend, girlfriend etc.. would you call that a religion? No you would call it a relationship, i think people reduce God to a piece of paper and some jumbled words spoken, and a strict routine of events, when it is not, the bible specifically makes it clear that Christ came to restore rightousness to mankind.

What is rightousness? Rightousness is the ability to stand in the presence of God without the sense of sin or sin consciousness, basically when one is righteous he is able to have an active relationship with God. The main theme through the bible is a mission of God loving man so that man can know and love God back. The purpose for our creation is so we can have a relationship with the creator for his pleasure and ours. Rightousness which is obtained through the the initial work of Christ on the Cross which he was stated in Romans 10:9, that righteousness and salvation is obtained by Faith through grace and not of our works lest anyone should boast but the rightousness of God which is in Christ Jesus.
thought i would clarify things up a bit.

Keeper of Kheb

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I think your are mistaken about this. Remember that the flood occurred in the time of NOAH (according to the Hebrew Bible). From NOAH the different branches of humanity was supposed to have sprung. Abraham was the founding father of the Hebrews much later on.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameneter

Yes, but Abel was obedient to God from the onset.
He was religiously dedicated to God.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Erm what does this have to do with religion being evil or not?
Sorry to butt in but, yea. Ummmm.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join