It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Atheist Quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Post you're favorite Atheist/Agnostic/Deist/Anti-Religion quotes.

Here's a few to start:

The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." (Albert Einstein) Letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946

www.spaceandmotion.com...

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. (Albert Einstein)

www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org...

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."- Abraham Lincoln, American president (1809-1865)

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."-Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father

www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org...

I think it's ironic so many people say the US was started as a christian nation, but a lot of quotes can be found from the founding fathers criticizing organized religion.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Ok, I'll admit I cheated because I didn't have any off the top of my head, so I googled and read through a bunch until I found some that I liked. The first "serious" one would have to be:

"And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence"
- Bertrand Russell

And the second which just made me laugh my butt off is this one:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."
- Emo Phillips

LMAO

Michelle

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Cool, here's a youtube video with some famous American Atheists with a few quotes thrown in:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Look again at that dot. . That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
-Carl Sagan

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
-Douglas Adams

just two of many quotes i could pull out

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

"Who let the dogs out', Baha men.

Source

mojo

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody said these:

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

- historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71)

To me, these are the best.

[edit on 2/18/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
"There is no 'F' in Christ!"

My Mum.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. -Don Hirschberg:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I too did some general searches online and came up with two quotes from William Shakespeare. For some reason, both ring true to me.

"This above all: to thine own self be true."

"The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose."

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

William Shakespeare was NOT an atheist.
But,
Was He Catholic?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Ignoring/avoiding any discussion over atheist versus agnostic - and quotes about religious belief - from two of my favorite authors:

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value." ~Isaac Asimov

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." ~Isaac Asimov

"All our words from loose using have lost their edge." ~Ernest Hemingway

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. " ~Ernest Hemingway

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. " ~Ernest Hemingway

LOL, i love that.

Wish id been told that 20 years ago.

new topics

top topics

join