It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worlds Largest Inland Oil Refinery Explodes...And I Live Only 3 Miles From It

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Ok, more video this time without the bush in the way.

Click Here For Video Link

The explosion was heard at least 50 miles away and the smoke at this time is still visible 50-70 miles away. (Remember West Texas is FLAT___________)

UPDATE:5 people injured. From my previous post 3 on-site contractors, 1 plant worker and a woman driving along I-20 who was injured when shrapnel from the explosion penetrated her vehicle.

More information that is not common knowledge soon...

[edit on 18-2-2008 by MrMicrophone]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMicrophone

To bad we couldn't really get the Bush out of the way.

And Uncle Dick, too!

Oh, wait, wrong thread, sorry.

Nice work, MrMicrophone, well done!

Edit to add: I hope that's not your car in the foreground!

[edit on 18-2-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Information that wasn't common knowledge:

The Alon refinery had been producing more low sulfur diesel fuel recently.

At least 1/3 (probably as much as 1/2 or more) of the plant was not operational. Whether this was due to the lack of maintenance or EPA regulations is unclear.

The explosion took place about 50-75 yards from the rail line running through the plant.

Sources inside the plant said recently that this plant would never shut down because the cost of the clean up that would be required by the EPA would be astronomical.

More as it comes in.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaauroraaaaa

The Alon refinery in Big Spring, TX produced 700,000 gallons of fuel per day.

WIKIAnswers says "According to a document by Exxon/Mobile published in February 2005, there are 370 million gallons of gasoline used daily."

This small refinery, though the top producing small refinery in the country, only produces a small percentage of the fuel we use everyday in the US. I'm sure it won't warrant a huge jump in prices.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMicrophone

The refinery employs about 170 people and produces some 70,000 barrels a day. The number of injuries may been reduced because today is President's Day and some workers were not on the job at the time of the explosion.

You might want to correct your post, while you still have the chance. But it makes your point even moreso.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44
Were you evacuated?

I find it a little confusing an expolsion of this magnitude only left one person slightly injured.

Am I reading too much into that? Almost as if they new it was coming.

You had first hand knowledge of this and I'm hoping you can provide updates for us.

Hope you and the family are ok.

Becker
I live 30 miles away. It was a huge explosion but didnt do as much damage as people have been lead to believe. You can see the smoke in the sky from here, which is impressive from that distance. They did evac schools and what not though. Not going to be that big of a deal, thank god nobody was killed.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Here is the latest AP story about this with new video.

It's amazing how fast they accounted for everyone.

link to video

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I just watched CNN, SkyNews, CBS,NBC, BBC, Al Jazeera and EuroNews. the only think mentioned about Texas was all those boxes found with stuff about Kennedy. (I'm in the UK)

Absolutely no one is covering this story with any ferocity except for our dilligent man in the field.

Bigfatfurrytexan, you are doing a bang up job sir. Keep safe.

Does anyone have anymore details about that explosion in Mt Top? Is there any possibility that there is some link or just an amazing cowinkedink?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordapathy
I just watched CNN, SkyNews, CBS,NBC, BBC, Al Jazeera and EuroNews. the only think mentioned about Texas was all those boxes found with stuff about Kennedy. (I'm in the UK)

Absolutely no one is covering this story with any ferocity except for our dilligent man in the field.

Bigfatfurrytexan, you are doing a bang up job sir. Keep safe.

Does anyone have anymore details about that explosion in Mt Top? Is there any possibility that there is some link or just an amazing cowinkedink?

I just reported in from 30 miles away. The reason it is not being reported is it was not a huge, devastating explosion. It did a small amount of damage to the refinery. This refinery is HUGE and only one small little area is effected. The reason nobody is making a big deal about it is because it is no big deal. The refinery is right near a busy interstate and didnt even effect traffic aside from the firefighting. Again, no big deal. When I was REALLY young a refinery in Artesia NM blew and it was a BIG deal. Blacked the whole sky for days. This is not even close and the Artesia refinery is nothing compared to BS Texas.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The real concern currently is envrionmental concerns.

The blast was huge, however. Big enough that it cracked the wall on my workplace, and blew out windows all over town. I know about 12 people who boarded over their broken windows today.

In the end, thank God our citizens were safe. I will do some investigating on the low sulfur diesel and get back with you guys (if Mr. Microphone doesn't do it first).

As well, he is right about the EPA. We don't drink our local tap water. And many wells have been ruined by sulfur.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lordapathy

I'm just south of Mountain Top, in the Harrisburg area. Our local "MSM" news outlet insists it's no big deal.
www.pennlive.com.../base/news-59/1203340769178490.xml&storylist=penn

I'm not certain, but isn't LP (propane, natural gas) more explosive than gasoline? I would think that the gas would have to be in aerosol form to have really devastating explosive potential??

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
The real concern currently is envrionmental concerns.

The blast was huge, however. Big enough that it cracked the wall on my workplace, and blew out windows all over town. I know about 12 people who boarded over their broken windows today.

In the end, thank God our citizens were safe. I will do some investigating on the low sulfur diesel and get back with you guys (if Mr. Microphone doesn't do it first).

As well, he is right about the EPA. We don't drink our local tap water. And many wells have been ruined by sulfur.
The blast was felt by my students in Mid/Ode area. I didnt feel it but I was asleep. No fatalities was a blessing.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

That is not right. Interstate 20 runs right in front of the refinery. I can guarantee you that more people are dead than just 1. A friend of mine reported that a body landed on the interstate in front of him, smoldering.

There must be hundreds dead. I am crying as i type this...so many dear friends of mine, all dead.

So now it's no big deal, and only 4 hurt? What about the smoldering body in the interstate? That guy must be hurt pretty freaking bad, to get blown from somewhere other than the interstate, be on fire when he landed...... and only hurt?

Seems a little fishy that everyone is saying....... nothing to see here, move along sir........

Just a little fire, no big deal.

Hey so how bout Andy Pettite and his HGH use? It's really a shame how all those kids that looked up to him so much, have been tainted by a "user".......
Did I mention Nataly Holoway?

[edit on 18-2-2008 by downtown436]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Quite a few things blowing up in the western hemisphere this February.

7th
Savannah, Georgia - Sugar Refinery Explosion
13th
"violent" "heavy" explosion In Vancouver (Taco Del Mar)
15th
Two bombs detonated in Mexico City near police station
15th
McCOOK, Texas — South Texas oil pipeline explosion
17th
Severe Explosion destroys two Detroit, MI homes
18th
World's Largest refinery explodes

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
That is my opinion, as well. I am not going to return home for a day or two. The local authorities are saying that there is no concern with air quality. However, it smells like burned hydrocarbons in that part of town, and my house is in the deepest part of a valley just over "landfill mountain" from it.

The local mayor is, er, questionable. He was recalled before the last re-election, then our locals re-elected him. Go figure. Don't get me started on local politics...but i can say that believing the mayor is risky at best. I have had a few direct interactions with him, and every time i walk away feeling like i was just treated like trash.

Here is the local news cast. Channel 9 is the channel that is the most involved with our community (they are all from Midland).

www.kwes.com...

I am so thankful that we will have all our local fathers return home to their children, even if it will take a few days.

In the newscast, when they are reporting from Moss Elementary....that is 2 blocks from my house.

I have heard that the biggest damage is in the asphalt area. The catcracker is still up and possibly working.

There are estimates of 1 year, or thereabouts, to rebuild and get it up and running.

In the interim, I have some jobs for people if they want them. I will be out with our recruiters trying to make sure people know what we can do for them.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
For anyone who wishes to see, here is a picture of my community on a beautiful summer afternoon. The large building in the middle is the Settles Hotel. It is a building of great contention with locals who want it torn down. Huge pipelines underneath it make the prospect of demolishing the building a prohibitive one.

The refinery is just off camera to the right.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This photo is from our local papers' website:

Judging by the flames, it was about this time that i was standing in my front yard (hearing the roar and crackling of the flames), crapping my pants.

Excellent image....just as i will likely remember it.

For anyone interested, the Bowl-A-Rame is where this photo was taken.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
One more link...then i will leave it alone for the night.

This is to mywestexas.com. I post at their forum, too.

www2.mywesttexas.com...

There is an interview with Russ McEwen from out in front of Jack Cathey Const.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Quick question - what`s a catcracker?

I`ve seen that in here a few times, but I`m at a loss. What is it, what does it do (in a nutshell)?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Good question, not sure if that is even a proper term. Among folks who have worked there, however, it is common.

I will try to get you an explanation, as i have not worked there before. My dad did, and i just talk about things that he talked about. My intimate knowledge ends there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join