It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do any of our party leaders really deserve to be at no. 10?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
i am of the opinion that that right now there is no real good choice of potential leaders in the uk today. our current leadership i think is pretty weak.

when labour first came into power in 1997, the number of promises we were given was brilliant. educatio, education, education. tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime. no sleeze to name but a few. but how many have they actually delivered on, well, none!

the education system is a joke! teachers have no control in the classroom, and many are living in constant fear of their pupils. they cannot lay a finger on any pupil without the parents giving themwhatfor for disciplining their 'little darlings'. they get punched and the video is put on youtube for everyone tothink how funny is that. the strength of qualifications is weakening (that may open a can of worms, but i believe it to be true). we fall behind most of europe in education, where they dont seem to have the same problems we do. and there are so many problems to go into.

the crime inthis country is shocking, with the knife culture out of control! glasgow is the murder capital of europe. the police have a hell of a task, and there not thanked for it, just look at the pay dispute at the moment. they have very little authority and with the paperwork they have is it any wonder that they may just turn a blindeye. they could be behind a desk for hours because they caught someone urinating in the street. gone are the days that if you were up to good, they took you in the back of a van, gave you a bit of a kicking, let you go. a bit dracononian i agree, but you learned your lesson!
people are afraid of walking there own streets, or confronting the yobs. take the man who was killed because he took on yobs who were vandalising his car, we are outraged that this was allowed to happen. but if the man had beaten up the little brat, he would be on assault charges. we live in a permanent state of catch 22!and there are many cases like this!

then there is sleeze. cash for peerage, undisclosed donations, fast tracked visas and so on.
and dont get me started on the benefits system!
but one of the biggest is the surrender of much of our control to brussels. the eu can call up our troops, and we cant stop them, thanks gordon! they also control our fishing quotas in our own waters!

much of the problems is that our government caves in too easily to pressure groups
oh, you cant have prisoners slopping out, thats a terrible violation of their human rights. in my opinion, p*ss off, ifyou cant do the time, dont do the crime. and did they not violate someone elses human rights to end up there in the first place?
prison is like a holiday camp these days, just look at the example of the womans jail in scotland where vile murderers were given a lovely make over, at our expense, not that we pay enough for them as it is! and there is also much more on this aswell, too much to go into

what this country needs is a government that will stand up to weak minded liberals and say no, your not right, and your not getting your way. complain all you want but we're not listening!
trouble is, i dont think any party just now is strong enough to do that.

all this has led to voter apathy,where people just dont care anymore, they lie down and take it. which means that the government can pretty much do what it wants

me, i'll do what my dad does and spoil the paper. that way the vote is still counted. and if the rest of the nation did the same, they would give the government and parties the clear indication that 'we are not impressed'!!!!!
do better!!!!!
then maybe we can begin to feel proud again,
who's with me?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
We've actually been discussing what would make our 'perfect party' as an alternative to Labour, the Conservatives and the Lib Dems here on the forum... maybe you'd be interested in joining this discussion.

You can find the thread here: The Perfect Party

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ayame2008

I can not agree with you more, ayame2008. I do not think any of them deserve to be in No 10, and it seems that will say anything to get the power and no the gravy train.

But what alternative do we how? Not to vote? That is not an option in my book, and if none of the candidates standing in my area are worth it, I do the same as your dad, and spoil my ballet paper. Unfortunately the whole country will not follow our lead.

I suppose if there were hundreds of thousands spoil ballet papers, then our political parties might take notice, but it seems so many people are just not interesting so how would you get the message out.

join