It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game creators look to the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Game creators look to the future

news.bbc.co.uk

The developers of some of the world's most popular video games are in San Francisco this week to discuss the future of the industry.

"Game worlds are a fairly complex universe, however the controllers we have are often a bit intimidating," said Mr Moledina.

Emotiv systems will be showing off its latest headset that uses sensors to detect brain waves to allow gamers to control characters and objects in a game world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Video games now are becoming so complex, it's amazing just trying to understand how they made the leap from pretty basic 2D sprites to full on 3D worlds with hi res texturing and ultra realistics lighting effects and models!

Video games will be something else in the next 20 or 30 years.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Brainwashing perhaps.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I love the way technology goes forward .. I still remember playing on my atari or commodore c64
I hope I can live up to the day of cyberpunk reality when it comes to computers , I wonder how old I'll be when they invent virtual reality brain plugins (or how you call that in english)

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Thill]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well, on the news article above it does actually talk about the possibility of brain powered control systems for video games.

Virtual reality though; not sure how they are gonna pull that one off, it'd be quite cool to have a shot on a Holodeck hehe

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
Video games now are becoming so complex, it's amazing just trying to understand how they made the leap from pretty basic 2D sprites to full on 3D worlds with hi res texturing and ultra realistics lighting effects and models!

The actual coding behind most popular games is excruciatingly mundane blend of mathematics, geometry and dry syntax. The big leap in making the onscreen content look more stunning is the capacity of the hardware (graphics cards, cpu etc) to simply crunch more numbers. As nano computing takes off you are right, the immersive qualities of Virtual Reality games coupled with bio-controllers will make it harder and harder to discern from reality. Eventually ATS and its members will have a home in something like Second Life secondlife.com... Maybe it already does?

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I've been telling people for years now...the future in gaming beside sthe consoles, brain/matrix connectors, and thought controlled environments, .....is in randomization generators based of random number generator algorythms.

What this would do is randomize characters to have free will and for the landscapes to self generate randomly as to copy nature.

Thats when we get closer to a real matrix

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think the visuals we have in games now can be a little too much, i remember when i had my Xbox360, my eyes actually started to run and become quite red when looking at the screen in a game like Gears of War or something, i think it was all the light bloom effects and the like.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

You mean sort of like procedural programming or something like that? not sure i fully understand you.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Yeah I've been waiting for a virtual reality type of thing, a you feel like your there game, not just one game but loead of differnt type of games, where you interact and you feel like your there, smell feel etc can really make a difference.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Smugallo

Urrgh...console gamers.... shoot the lot of 'em...

I think the visuals today are great and what is in the pipeline in just the next few years is looking awesome, but you'll be needing a PC to truly get the most out of the latest technology.

The 360 is a bit dated when you look at its graphical capabilities now and the way it made Oblivion look with the bloom lighting is, to be honest, quite horrific. HDR lighting effects are much better and can only really be achieved on a PC.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's like watching an episode of Ghost in the Shell unfold before my eyes. Great find starred and flagged.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I agree, every time i have bought a console i end up not playing it for months on end, just not really worth it, most of the games don't have much to them these days, and play out more or less like a movie.

Don't get me wrong i like a good game, but prefer the strategy (Civilization and the likes, when i was growing up these games were awesome and totally replayable).

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Smugallo

Great minds think alike, Smugallo

The PC is King when it comes to a good strategy game!

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Tell me about!

Not played a good one for a while though, most of them seem to be real time strategy at the moment; although i do have Medieval II:Total War, which is great, but i am pretty poor at it! I used to love Colonization, i spent hours a day on that one!

Wish they could remake it, that and transport tycoon!

new topics

top topics

join