It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do YOU think is the greatest historical figure of all time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Issac Newton.

Invented calculus, pretty big feat if you ask me.

English physicist (a scientist specializing in the study of matter, energy, and their interactions) and mathematician Isaac Newton (1642–1727) and German mathematician Gottfried Leibniz (1646–1716) are both credited with inventing calculus, a method of calculation or computation using special symbols. Working independently of one another, they developed calculus as a means of explaining the laws of physics. Newton devised his methods before Leibniz started his work, but Newton did not publish his results quickly enough. Leibniz's theories were published in 1684 and Newton's did not follow until 1693, thus causing much tension between the two esteemed scientists. They both, however, came to the same conclusions using different symbols and notations.
www.enotes.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree with you about Tesla. His day will come. It's too bad he isn't around to see that day.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Yes, you are right that many give both credit. Some people actually consider Fermat to be the inventor of calculus, while still others give "partial credit" to Kepler, Galileo, Barrow, and others.

In actuality, it is really a cumulative effort, as are so many inventions.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
1: Kublai Khan - for establishing diplomatic policies between western europe and the far-east, also for providing imperial law in China, something which hadn't been around for about 1000 years.

2: Julius Ceasar.

3: Lincoln.

I disagree with many of the people placing inventors at the top - i am of the belief that if they didn't do it, someone else would have.

You could also say that i like to judge a man by the number of enemies he has (yeah, i'm aware i'm supposed to judge him by the caliber of his enemies, but whatever).

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That would have to be Jesus Christ, naturally.

I don't care if you're Christian or not, he is Undoubtedly the most prominent figure of the past 20 centuries.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I agree with the last post. No one in history has ever equaled Jesus Christ's popularity.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Wow, a lot of picks for Jesus, and only 1 for a man who has saved over 1,000,000 lives, so far.

I'm kind of surprised, and kind of not. I wonder who people would pick if we took Jesus off the table?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Franklin D. Roosevelt, no doubt
the guy is a boss

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
In my opinion i believe that Bob Marley is the best historical figure. I find the fact that he helped such problems as racism and violence by bringing Music and love in to peoples homes amazing. So he gets my vote.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Mines alittle biased as I used to be real big into boxing but I'd say Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay). People who've never watched a boxing match in their life know who he is and if you watch film on him back in 65-67, you'd no why no one questions his claim to being "The Greatest".

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Leibniz...he was Rosicrucian, wasn't he?

Speaking of RC...how about your name. "The Comte"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join