It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My right ear seems to be blocked somehow...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I woke up today and immediately realized that my right ear was not hearing as well as my left. It feels like there's some sort of barrier inside my ear and it's hindering my hearing. I can still hear (not as well as my left), but it feels very weird.

The real weird thing is that last night when I went to bed, I was meditating as I usually do, but there were lots of noises coming from downstairs (everyone else in the home was awake). I then started thinking how nice it would be if I could simply block my hearing whenever I want. Nothing happened last night, but it did come true in the morning. I'm thinking this is one of those cases where you get what you wish for, lol.

Anyway, it could just be something that'll go away after a while, but I am a bit worried that it might get worse. Should I make an appointment with a doctor or is this something common that happens to a lot of people for a brief period of time? Anyone else ever had this issue?

[edit on 17-2-2008 by Impreza]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Not to discredit what you claim, but do you have a cold or any type of sinus inflamation? Sometimes there can be swelling and reduced hearing due to swelling. It happens to me from time to time. Just a possibility.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't have a cold or a cough or anything, I'm healthy as a horse. You may be right though, it may be something in there that's swollen because sometimes I hear what feels like air escaping from my ear.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Your ear may be blocked with earwax, a fairly common thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I used to have the same problem, like yourself when I was not sick at all. Most likely you just have a lot of wax deep in your ear. I used to clean mine well too but sometimes you can't get it all I guess. I recommend getting an appointment with an ENT doctor. They will use this little vacuum like machine with a narrow tube. They should suck out the wax probably in both ears. It's loud as a jet engine to you when they do it but it feels amazing afterwards.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If it were me, I'd wait a few days to see if it gets better. If not or, it gets worse in any way, go to a doctor.

If you're feeling adventuresome, you could try an ear candle but I read it was a bunch of bunk and could actually cause harm.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'll bet its ear wax.

I have the same problem, I usually have to go to the Dr 2-3 times a year and they flush out my ears.

I was so embarrassed the first time, but they explained how common it is.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I've had problems/experience with that. It was may left ear instead of my right. This was several years ago. It happened over time, a month or two maybe, not really one night. I had (and still have) long hair. I went to the doctor, and described what was happening. It might sound gross, but it was an ear wax and hair "barrier" if you will. Some of my hair got in my ear while sleeping, and it just collected there, I guess.

Got it out eventually. Doc put some stuff in my ear while I laid on my side, and it "dissovled" away to a point it could fall out. Whole process took about 5 min. You can buy stuff at the drugstore for it. Can't remember the name.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezwaxes
If it were me, I'd wait a few days to see if it gets better. If not or, it gets worse in any way, go to a doctor.
If you're feeling adventuresome, you could try an ear candle but I read it was a bunch of bunk and could actually cause harm.
en.wikipedia.org...

Actually, ear candling works and is safe if you go to a professional. My mother had the same problem and it cured it for her. Nothing else will remove wax as well. It's also a lot cheaper than going to the doctor. I'd call a health food store, a small business, not some chain store, and ask if they know anyone practicing in the area.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
My son is hearing impaired and his ear issues are the bane of my existence....like it wasn't enough to take away his hearing, but lets throw extremely waxy ears that get infections every 3 weeks in the mix!! The poor little guy.

Anyhow, we've sort of run the gamut of ear issues here, and I'm betting it's probably ear wax. They do have home ear wax removal kits you can buy at the drug store. You basically put some drops in your ears, let it sit for a few minutes while it dissolved the wax, and then there's a squeeze bulb you fill with water and flush out the ear with. Some of the solutions are strong than others, so just ask the pharmacist. Having said that, they've never worked for us unfortunately :/

The next step is your family doctor who has a much better syringe that can pretty much flush anything out of there. If that still doesn't work you'd have to go the ENT route where they use a vacuum type apparatus to remove it.

If you find you have ongoing issues with wax buildup you can use any type of oil...baby oil, mineral oil is usually best and put a few drops in your ears every once in a while to keep the wax soft and easy to remove.

On the ear candling procedure...I've seen it done by a friend of mine and it definitely works. The only reason we can't use it for my son is because he has ear tubes and the candle builds up so much suction that it could pull his ear tubes right out. Otherwise I'd give that a shot. But make sure you go to a professional if you decide to do that route

Michelle

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a blockage behind your eardrum. Iwould suggest strongly that you go to your Dr. and report this phenomena. Sometimes when things happen on a spiritual level it also corrisponds to the physical too. So yes go visist your Doc. and have it checked out. Sounds like there is no infection going on so it is most probably behind the ear drum and needs attention. OK?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Go to the doctor. I had a problem with my ear last month that they diagnosed Q-tip trauma. My ear was bleeding though, a lot, and hurt really bad. I still don't undestand how it happened because I'm really gentle with my ears. They told me that people injure their ears with Q-tips all the time. Luckily, my ear drum was fine.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Try a Water Pic. You know, those dental ones. Works well to clean the ear and not too strong.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Uh. My ears don't work either. (Right To be Perhaps)... Could it be sinus?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What side do you naturally sleep on? < hard not to make that a one liner

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Doc put some stuff in my ear while I laid on my side, and it "dissovled" away to a point it could fall out.

Hydrogen Peroxide maybe... I use that occassionally, works pretty well.
I've heard the ear candles are great, but haven't tried it myself yet...

As far as mind over matter...my ear got blocked just reading your post (lol)...luckily, I know how to unblock it...(sometimes, you can just hold your nose, and blow out through your ears...works like a charm for me often enough)...

top topics

join