It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Dies After Fall From UN Building

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Kind of suspicious...

Article

By JOHN HEILPRIN

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - A woman who worked for the United Nations died Sunday after falling from the 19th floor of the U.N.'s Secretariat Building, authorities said.

Police and U.N. security officers at the scene, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, said the woman in her 40s had jumped from a window after showing up to work early in the morning...........

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cliffycrone

Yes.

Just a question, at what time of the day do sucides usually happen, I would assume mid day to night? Is it normal to go to work early in the morning then kill yourself!?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Well, if you wanted to make a statement with your death, such as, "my work at the United Nations drove me to commit suicide", then the woman's apparent actions make plenty of sense. Furthermore, reporting to work was probably the only way the woman could gain access to the United Nations because it would be locked up at any other time.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Yes good point.

Everytime I hear about sucides I feel a little suspicious, don't know why.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hi There,

Obviously there is little information being released, but I can't help feeling that there is something suspicious about this...nor can I help being cynical.

Most suicides are committed with the intention of the remains being found soon, and that they will be taken care of. This woman allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the 19th floor at the back of the building, not the front, where immediate attention would be drawn to the remains. I feel that if this woman had gone to her place of work with the intention to commit suicide, she would have done it within a very short time of arriving there. According to the article, there is an implication that hours passed between her arrival and her suicide, so my hunch is with it not being suicide.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Hi There,

Obviously there is little information being released, but I can't help feeling that there is something suspicious about this...nor can I help being cynical.

Most suicides are committed with the intention of the remains being found soon, and that they will be taken care of. This woman allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the 19th floor at the back of the building, not the front, where immediate attention would be drawn to the remains. I feel that if this woman had gone to her place of work with the intention to commit suicide, she would have done it within a very short time of arriving there. According to the article, there is an implication that hours passed between her arrival and her suicide, so my hunch is with it not being suicide.

That's sort of what I was thinking. I know it is all speculation, but imagine she got to work early and saw something she wasn't supposed to see.... Jumping (or being thrown) from a building leaves very little evidence of foul play.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't think we have any evidence of foul play (yet). So the woman apparently jumped from the back side of the United Nations building. What if she didn't have access to the windows on the front? So it was hours until her corpse was discovered. I don't think this is that out of the ordinary in the case of a suicide.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So why are they not releasing the victims identity??? Even after her next of kin has been notified? Who was she? What department did she work with? Humm

I'm sure these details will come out eventually, but I'm wondering what the hold up is to releasing it now, unless it was not suicide!

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cliffycrone
I know it is all speculation, but imagine she got to work early and saw something she wasn't supposed to see.... Jumping (or being thrown) from a building leaves very little evidence of foul play.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

And if hours past from when she arrived at work until she "jumped", maybe she was trying to gain more information to what she had seen or was in the process of revealing something to another.

It is also possible that it took a little time to track her down.

She could have been observed on video witnessing something she wasn`t suppose to.

She could have illegally gained entry to a particular area to find evidence of something she was working to uncover.

The possibilities are endless. It will be interesting to see what reasons are eventually given for her committing suicide.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Got her name. She is an Austrian.
Article

A 44-year-old woman who worked for the United Nations plunged from the 19th floor of the iconic Secretariat building Sunday in an apparent suicide leap, police said.

Maria DiBiase, who worked with the Austrian Consulate, was discovered in the complex's rear courtyard by horrified UN staffers about 8 a.m., police said.

DiBiase, who lived on W. 35th St., apparently jumped after showing up for work at the UN early Sunday, police said.

Security guards and investigators placed yellow tape around her heavyset body and blocked some staff from leaving the building. Later, DiBiase's body lay draped with a white sheet on the east side of the 39-story building overlooking the East River.

There were no apparent signs of foul play, but an investigation was ongoing, NYPD Detective Martin Speechley said.

DiBiase was remembered as a chatty and friendly woman who had an interest in computers, according to police and UN security officers at the scene.

It wasn't the first death jump from the 55-year-old landmark.

In 1982, Johannes Raven, 57, a UN official who had just resigned from the Office of Financial Services and was reported to have been upset about his failing health, jumped from the 18th floor on the west side of the building.

It was unclear what job DiBiase held at the UN.

In a statement, UN spokeswoman Marie Okabe said, "A UN agency staff member died after falling from the 19th floor of the UN Secretariat Building.

"At this time there is no suspicion of foul play."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There you have it, no foul play.........

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
So just say it then: "there is no suspicion of foul play."

There, that is so much easier just saying it.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yep, happy chatty people show up early to work only to throw themselves out of the 19th story window of the UN all the time. No suspicion of foul play here. Seriously, who here hasn't thrown themselves out of the 19th story of the UN building? Anyone?

Next story.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I have worked in Manhattan for some time now and I am in close proximity to the UN. For the life of me, I can't think of 1 office building in Manhattan that has windows which open above the 10th floor.

VERY SUSPECT if you ask me. These are people with diplomatic immunity (or so they like to say) and really don;t care much about people if they are in the way of something. They are some of the rudest people you see on the street of NY City and when you see those cars parked 2 and 3 wide in the street of manhaatn causing all sorts of traffic, rest assured they have DIPLOMAT plates on them...or consulate.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Yep, happy chatty people show up early to work only to throw themselves out of the 19th story window of the UN all the time. No suspicion of foul play here. Seriously, who here hasn't thrown themselves out of the 19th story of the UN building? Anyone?

I caught that "chatty" part too. I don't mean to laugh, but it is pretty funny. This really does smell fishy.

traderonwallst
I have worked in Manhattan for some time now and I am in close proximity to the UN. For the life of me, I can't think of 1 office building in Manhattan that has windows which open above the 10th floor.

VERY SUSPECT if you ask me. These are people with diplomatic immunity (or so they like to say) and really don;t care much about people if they are in the way of something. They are some of the rudest people you see on the street of NY City and when you see those cars parked 2 and 3 wide in the street of manhaatn causing all sorts of traffic, rest assured they have DIPLOMAT plates on them...or consulate.

I believe you. This is making this seem even stranger.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Something just does not smell right at all about this. I dont have proof but something just is not right with this at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Security guards and investigators placed yellow tape around her heavyset body and blocked some staff from leaving the building

This struck me as odd in the nydailynews website article. Why on earth would it matter to this story that the woman was overweight? Could this just be another explanation into an apparent suicide?

"oh she was overweight...causing her to be depressed...."

Just a thought...may be nothing, but I've never seen anything like that in a news article that had no bearing whatsoever on the story.

Michelle

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So...what are some of the more contested issues coming out of the U.N. lately?

The supposedly secret meeting on UFO's?
I'm not sure about that one.

What info would an Austrian Consulate employee possibly have access to? Who did she live with/near in the dormitory?

I completely agree that you don't go to work and kill yourself mid-day. Without anyone noticing anything strange or unusual in your behavior. In a building I'm sure has many security measures.

[edit on 18/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just one thing on my mind, how can they be 100% certain that she fell from the 19th floor?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yes exactly.

These are the quotes I find interesting...

Security guards and investigators placed yellow tape around her heavyset body and blocked some staff from leaving the building.

Why mention heavyset? What staff was blocked and why?

DiBiase was remembered as a chatty and friendly woman who had an interest in computers

As Karl said, how many chatty, friendly people take leaps? Secretly depressed people usually keep that secret going even into death not taking big profile leaps off federal buildings.
An interest in computers? Should we read between the lines here... maybe she found something she shouldnt have.

It was unclear what job DiBiase held at the UN

They know she was 44 yrs old, worked with the Austrian Consulate, chatty and friendly, heavyset and had an interest in computers but they are unclear on her job title? How odd...

In a statement, UN spokeswoman Marie Okabe said, "A UN agency staff member died after falling from the 19th floor of the UN Secretariat Building."At this time there is no suspicion of foul play."

I find this strange, usually spokespeople say the details but end with condolences, this seems to just be a statement to negate any suspicious thoughts right off the bat.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by SEEWHATUDO]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I do not know, maybe consulate is at different location but Permanent Mission of Austria is on 31st floor:

Permanent Mission of Austria to the United Nations
600 Third Avenue, 31st Floor, New York, NY 10016
Telephone: (917) 542-8400
Telefax: (212) 949-1840
E-mail: [email protected]

www.un.org...

Actually, i do not know if it is the same building, but this is what i found. Maybe someone will correct me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join