It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black History Month?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
February is Black History Month, right? I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but usually it is mentioned on TV, Newspapers, and other media. Being in NYC I usually see it on Subway Ads, but I this year I haven't seen anything in any media mentioning black history month. Could this have anything to do with this year being an election year and a black candidate? I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well, if that is the case I think it is mighty ungrateful. Without slaves America and the rest of the western would be behind a few hundred years.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
While floating above earth in my quantized spacecraft, I was noticing the lack of media concerning black history month.

Let me plug into the planets database.......

Yep.

Its confirmed, black history month was deleted!

Move along nothing to see hear folks

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Actually, I've seen a lot of programs in the media mentioning it's Black History Month.

I think the real conspiracy is the fact that Black History Month happens to fall in the shortest month of the year...

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Actually I think the bigger conspiracy is that there is not a Native American month. Seeing as how they were here first and were kicked from their homes with no place to go. Not to mention the other ways in which they were treated abused, raped, killed, enslaved, destroyed with biological warfare, forced migration, and more.
amath.colorado.edu...
www.emedicinehealth.com...
www.zkea.com...

Or why not an Asian American month considering their treatment during WWII and other wars. They have been illegally forced from their homes during war because they MIGHT be an enemy though it is doubtful any were.

www.elderweb.com...

Or why not an Arab American month? I believe many were treated pretty harshly and still looked down upon after 9/11. For the first nine months after 9/11 hate crimes increased a lot toward Arab Americans.
www.nytimes.com...

Or here is a better idea why not celebrate any certain group for a month but celebrate humanity for a month. The breaking things down into certain groups can only help to promote separatism instead of unity.

Either acknowledge all groups or none at all. Preferably acknowledge humanity so that we might come together as one in mind and spirit.

Raist

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

There is an Asian Heritage Month (May).

There is a Arab Heritage Month (April). Is that a conspiracy aswell because its starts with a "Fools Day"?

There is an American Indian Heritage Month (November)
www.loc.gov...

Why not celebrate humanity everyday? You can do that personally. Stop worrying about what month has been designated as what and set your own standards and guidelines. It starts within. You don't need a large following to celebrate humanity/life, do it from within and focus on what YOU can do.

All groups have been acknowledged because they acknowledge it from within. They don't need a Declaration stating which month has been designated for them, they celebrate it when they feel like it.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's something that needs to abolished unless were going to have a White history month, a yellow history month and a brown history month!! and even an illegal alien month!! I personally believe their should be none of the above. Each individual is FREE to acknowledge on their own what history means to them and it's importance and they're celebrating it within their family unit! . Peace to ALL! Oh and if we acknowledge the existence of extra-terrestrial's we might be able to add another 7 so that each month we can acknowledge that racsism is alive and well!

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
ChronMan,

I was not aware of other months being celebrated for other groups. Perhaps because they are not brought to light as much. I wonder how many others know about these months.

The rest of what you are saying is sort of along the lines of what I was saying. I know my ancestry and I don’t need anyone declaring a certain month to celebrate that for me I will do that as I see fit.

The promotion though of one celebration above the others (never knew of them until now, never mentioned as February is), will only keep us further apart instead of bringing us together.

I’m not saying we all should not look at other cultures and try to understand them better. I am saying that some seem to think one culture should be noticed above all others this comes from all sides though.

[Edit] To add that those are also heritage months, not history months. Close but not the same thing.

Raist

[edit on 2/19/08 by Raist]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
[Edit] To add that those are also heritage months, not history months. Close but not the same thing.

Raist

[edit on 2/19/08 by Raist]

When you celebrate a heritage, the history goes along.
Celebrate heritage is comprised of Celebrating Culture, History, and etc.

You understand what I'm saying?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
ChronMan,

You may be able to celebrate some of one of them while celebrating another but they are different.

For instance what do many of the people that are celebrated have to do with the culture that belongs to blacks when not everyone who is black comes from the same culture?

Some are African American others are not. Yet it is black history month that is celebrated. Heritage and history may be somewhat intermingled but they are different. Much like the heritage of Native Americans are not all the same because of different tribes (there are over 500 recognized tribes), Asian Americans come from different cultures as well, not all Arab Americans have the same heritage either. Same goes for Latino Americans not all come from the same culture and heritage. They should not be celebrated as such.

Black history month is not the same as a heritage month for another group and should not be confused as such.

Raist

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Maybe it's a NY thing. Being the Clintons reside in Westchester County. A lot of people I've talked to in the city noticed the same thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I know that the newspapers are covering it.. but it's far from a new subject? Race is such a touchy subject because slavery wasn't long ago at all. We often forget that. I think we are slowly just trying to accept everyone as equal without giving them a said month out of the year. It is kind of degrading if you ask me to give them a month. Don't you think they just want equality by now?

top topics

join