It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians urge Dutch to ban film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Iranians urge Dutch to ban film

news.bbc.co.uk

The Iranian government has intervened to try to stop the screening of a film in the Netherlands about the Koran.

The Iranians say that the film, by the Dutch member of parliament Geert Wilders, is offensive.

The Iranian justice minister, Gholam Hussein Elham, wrote to his Dutch counterpart, Ernst Hirsch Ballin, calling for a ban.

Mr Hussein Elham said freedom of speech should not be used as a cover for attacking moral and religious values.

'Freedom of expression'

Mr Wilders says his film will show the Muslim holy book is an inspiration for murder.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This film is sure to stir up trouble for holland - we've already seen film makers killed for producing material considered offensive by some muslims, let's hope this doesn't go the same way.

It seems that dutch parliamentarians have a penchant for making "islamic" films, which begs the question: WHY?

Holland is considered one of the most tolerant countries anywhere, which makes this doubly puzzling.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

^^ Check out the recent history.

I'm guessing they've figured out how to work the soft-spot for easy cash.

P.S: You could say we're looking at the proverbial tip of the iceberg with this one.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
while I do believe in freedom of speach, there's a limit one should go to.
Just becuase I can walk through the streets screaming what ever obsenity I want, doesnt mean I should.
Deceny and common sense should come into play here.

Holland has a decent arab population, and whiel I was there, many locals told me they believe through personal experience with the locals, that a terror attack in amsterdam isnt far off, because they are increasingly becoming more violent and isolated.

This just seems like a few laughs while throwing stones at the hornets nest.
Not a good idea when the hornest become agit8d

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If I had the skills, ability and inclination to make a film about something I believed in and was passionate about, then I would do so.

No-one is going to be forced to watch this film.

Free will and free speach.

Should we only allow free speach as long as it doesn't upset anyone?

If the film is attempting to incite people to commit or actively support criminal activities, then maybe, just maybe, there could be cause for censorship of some sort, if not well....if youdon't like the subject matter, simply don't watch it.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well, why not? We have lobby groups here in the US that screamed a holy (roller) fit because we all got a peek at Janet Jackson's rubbery damn nipple. We've seen good shows canceled because they don't present our Fundie Christians in the most perfect light. So on and so forth. So it's kind of ironic that we have so many Americans waggling their fingers about this, when we all know that the Dutch are going to just shrug and go ahead anyway... More than can be said of us here across the Atlantic from them.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
how about we do a trade, eh, how about Holland agrees to postpone this film if Iran agrees to legalise homosexuality

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Walking Fox
Well, why not? We have lobby groups here in the US that screamed a holy (roller) fit because we all got a peek at Janet Jackson's rubbery damn nipple. We've seen good shows canceled because they don't present our Fundie Christians in the most perfect light. So on and so forth. So it's kind of ironic that we have so many Americans waggling their fingers about this, when we all know that the Dutch are going to just shrug and go ahead anyway... More than can be said of us here across the Atlantic from them.

yeah, good attempt, Im pretty sure the Life of Brian didn't result in men being behead, mass riots and general worldwide insurgency

top topics

join