It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy COW! Feds order largest beef recall in U.S history: 143 million lbs!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Holy COW! Feds order largest beef recall in U.S history: 143 million lbs!

www.foxnews.com

LOS ANGELES — The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is being investigated for mistreating cattle.

Officials said it was the largest beef recall in the United States, surpassing a 1999 ban of 35 million pounds of ready-to-eat meats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Mad Cow Madness
ATS: U.S. Mad Cow cover-up????
Mad Cow disease in US!

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I certainly don't want to alarm anyone, but the symptoms of the cattle described in this article resemble "mad Cow"disease. This obviouly was serious enough for the feds to shut the plant down and pull the product from the shelves.....

Price of a happy meal just went up!

More to come on this developing issue!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Video of sick cattle sent to slaughter:
www.cnn.com...

List of products on recall: www.cnn.com...
[edit on 17-2-2008 by realmatrix]

[edit on 18-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I invoke the name of JOHN TITOR.

... as well as nightmares of BSE/Mad Cow disease...

If I don't raise the cow myself, I don't eat it. That's pretty much how I feel about all food these days in North America. If I don't know who grew it or raised it, I'm not eating it.

[edit on 17/2/08 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I usually lurk on here but since this is an issue I have actual experience with I thought I would jump in.

I grew up on a farm running a few thousand cattle a year. From the limited description given in the article, I would these cattle were acutally suffering from "shipping fever" which is quite common and simply the result of stressing their immune system by sticking them in a trailer for a couple days with no food or water. Not BSE. Most recover quickly but some need to shots booster their immune system, however you cant give them medicine right before slaughter so I guess they were just pushing them through anyway.

Also the article clearly states that they do not think there is real health issue and they are simply following regulations.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranger33

Ranger33, thanks for the level-headed input on the BSE possiblity. It looks like Jack-in-the-Box and In7Out burger chains as well as school lunch programs are the areas that are effected right now...this according to AP.
ap.google.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If you don't like eating meat that was at a factory farm, get a gun and kill your own meat. I would much rather have the pleasure of at least seeing my meat in the wild just before ruthlessly gunning it down from the safety of my tree stand.

Seriously though, you gotta understand that when you get Beef, it will be from one of 3 kinds of animal.....

1) Steer

2)Heifer

3) Crippled cow

Get over it, paraplegic cows taste just as good..........

Look at chicken farms. Maybe they didn't get to move more than 8" their whole life, who cares, it's delicious.

P.S. Animals have no rights!! They never did.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by downtown436]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
let me get this right....you feel that "crippled cows" are ok to eat? We how about fish with mercury in it? It seems to me that a cow that possible is infected with BSE is not something you would want in the food chain....but then again, obviously you feel comfortable with that issue.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

They have a special level in hell reserved for people with this attitude to life .. yeah even the life of animals. They have every right to their next breath of air as you have dear. That is a vile opinion to have and now I have a first hand look at the type of people who are more than happy to eat the filth that comes out of these meat factories. Enjoy
really.

So yeah,
I must say I wasn't too surprised to hear of this, it's only a matter of time really ... before they get caught that is. This isn't rare people!

Pellevoisin, I can only agree my friend. I have hard the hardest of times adjusting to a diet of American food since marrying my sailor and I miss the farm-fresh antibiotic/growth-hormone/steroid-and-pesticide-free meat my family consumes back home in Australia
I am usually sick to the point of bringing back up any meat I consume that is "FDA approved" and have since been reading A LOT of information on the American meat and poultry industry. 'Disgusting' about sums it up

I have not eaten a meat patty or anything of the like that comes from such factories in years and even attempting to eat the meat sold on base that is flown in from the US makes me sick to my stomach so I am basically vegetarian when overseas and enjoy all the meat I desire when back home .. and ain't sick for it. Now that says a lot to me.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
More scare tactics from the clowns on ATS.

This will blow over in a week.

top topics

join