It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Independance of Kosovo

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I wanted to start a thread that deals with this situation, and also congratulate all the people of Kosovo for declaring their indepandance.

Being from Croatia, i think i can relate pretty well.

But what i wanted to talk about is the obvious tensions that this decision has caused in the region and in the world.

As far as the Balkans are concerned, i dont think anything significant will happen, conflict wise, but, of course, you can never be sure. Violent protests have happened in Beograd today, and the Serbs have said that there will be more, if necessary. Given the state od the Serbian army and the country in general, any excesses will be easily handled by the UN security force that is already in Kosovo.

But what i am concerned about is what this will do to the already deteriorating relationship between Russia and the USA.

Remember, both of the world wars basically started in the Balkans....

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I really don't understand the West's support for Kosovo. Al Qaeda is recruiting blonde haired blue eyed muslim terrorists out of there. Why establish a further beachhead for the islamicization of europe?

I suppose it's part of the plan. The true leadership of the West has decided to allow their countries to be overrun by third world peoples without any attempt at assimilation. It's especially disturbing in europe since islamic radicals will soon own the place. Perhaps the antichrist will be a muslim, the mahdi.

As for Russia, they claim unity with Serbia, but I think they just like to be contrary. They've made their own peculiar accommodation with Muslim radicals in some of the central Asian republics and with Iran.

The whole world is set on a course for self destruction and the people can only watch it happen, helpless to change anything. This needs supernatural intervention. But faith in Jesus Christ is in short supply these days in the decaying West.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
All I know is Russia is going bonkers over this and there are many American flags raised in Kosovo.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

We where always brought up to believe they where victimized, raped, pillaged and thrown into mass graves.

For that, I supported them.

However, I do like to keep an open mind.. and after reading the Russian view of these conflicts, I now hold no position what so ever, and am doing my own research into the entire mess..

Who should America and the West support? I have no idea.

Maybe we should just butt out and let the situation unwind. And hope for the best of course.

Though I am always cautious of anything Russia supports so devoutly.. They have not been known to support the righteous causes of the world.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
All I know is Russia is going bonkers over this and there are many American flags raised in Kosovo.

Aigh.. this concerns me.. an American Russian conflict is not impossible.. it is quite possible we could engage, but never go to full scale war.. just a small skirmish.. but even that would be enough to jump start another Cold War..

If there is violence.. America will go in with troops. Serbia wants EU membership bad enough, hopefully they wont go in...

Of course..

IF Kossovo does break away.. and NATO and America are behind them... Russia just took a blatent slap and spit in the face from the West.. and Putin may suffer favour from it...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is the conflict that will set in motion.... Strange days. That explosion story does not have a date on the article. And the external link of the invincible Russian is cool...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reading BBC comments from those in Europe is disturbing.. most believe Kossovo should not be a free state because there are simply to many states..

Like a .. NWO ideology, that we should all be united under one flag, one dictator, no cultures. I don't know, I find it disturbing thats all. Here I thought NEOcons where the bad guys.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just heard a few fighters going by overhead. These are strange days people. I would strongly suggest getting a two week supply ration in order.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Serbia wants EU membership bad enough, hopefully they wont go in...

True, Serbia does want the membership, but even if they dont do anything and follow all the EU rules and requests, it would take years for them to join.

So its really not like they have anything to lose...

and here is the LINK for the photos of the riots in Beograd yesterday.

There are reports that the riots are continuing.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It looks like it will be difficult for Kosovo to get itself recognized by the international community. The President of Serbia is calling for the UN security council to declare the move illegal.

news.xinhuanet.com...

Serbian President Boris Tadic on Sunday called on UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to order the chief of the UN mission in Kosovo to annul Kosovo independence and to dissolve the interim parliament of Kosovo, the official Tanjug news agency reported.

Tadic also requested that the UN Security Council declare Kosovo independence legally invalid.

Meanwhile, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark said on Monday that her country will not recognize the independence of Kosovo.

For its part, the Sri Lankan government said it did not endorse the unilateral secession of Kosovo from the Republic of Serbia because it could pose a grave threat to international peace and security, the official Daily News said Monday.

Japan and Australia look like they will recognize the new state.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said on Monday his country is considering to recognize Kosovo as an independent state.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd expressed Monday his support for the independence of Kosovo.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Who should America and the West support? I have no idea.

perhaps a quick google of the words "oil haliburton kosovo" will shed some light... here i did some for you...

"Camp Bondsteel, the biggest “from scratch” foreign US military base since the Vietnam War is near completion in the Yugoslav province of Kosovo. It is located close to vital oil pipelines and energy corridors presently under construction, such as the US sponsored Trans-Balkan oil pipeline. As a result defence contractors—in particular Halliburton Oil subsidiary Brown & Root Services—are making a fortune."....

Camp Bondsteel and America’s plans to control Caspian oil

same as it ever was....

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
As an australian with heritage from the balkans, I am really surpised at how quickly our Prime Minister supported the Independance of Kosovo. I truly beleive he has not the faintest idea of the history of the Balkans and has just shown himself to also be a lapdog for the US as his predecessor was.

OP, as a Croat, I find it funny that you congratulate Kosovo for their Independance - I say this because I understand the anger and hostility towards the serbs that you and your people have from the wars there, but this should not be taken into account this time.

I too was against the Serbs as many of my family was dispplaced and killed in those wars, but what we have here should be looked at upon principles.

The principles of the UN and of what democracy stands for. Wherea's Croatia and Slovenia refuted the authority of Serbia and declared independance, they were both countries in their own right before the formation of Yugoslavia.

That and they decided their actions for themselves. Kosovo has never been a country for itself ever throughout history, so now, just because the Albanians are a majority, and because the EU wants to integrate all nations into their union who are "geographically" within Europes boundries, they have forced Kosovo to decalre independance and rounded up a bunch of western nations who think the same way (aka NWO) to support the move.

It is wrong it is illegal and if it does go ahead, you might aswell tear up the UN charter written after world war 2 and start a third world war to see who wins, because the foundations that the UN was built upon have just been considerably weakened and their madate has been prostituted off to the NWO.

Like I said in the other Kosovo thread - since the US is supporting this so much, they would not have a problem with the Mexicans in Texas wanting autonomy and then joining up again with mainland Mexico?

Same thing thats happening here. Because a few thousand Albanians got killed in the war that there was there. Well, if that is a standard that the UN goes by these days, why didnt they intervene in Sudan and the Darfur region? Kosovo pales in significance with the attrocities and numbers killed there. What about Zimbabwe and attrocities commiting there?

Guess it doesnt matter and the UN only pushes the issue if it is in their or the USA's interests.

I have always been weary of the UN in the past and the lack of action that they do, especially during the Balkan conflicts, but they have now lost all of my trust and respect and as far as Im concerned, they should be disbanded for they now stand for nothing other than corruption and greed.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This is very brave of Kosovo, but Putin will never stand for it. All hell is about to (or is already) break loose up in there! Here we go again - and yes, the US government will try and stick their noses in it to protect their money interests (again).

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
26 EU. nations had recognize Kosovo indendance.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It's great to see a people set free to run their own country. Some people can't see this as they were raised under a different form of government or believe that close government control over the masses is normal.

Russia is like a spoiled child wanting attention and no one cares what she does. Putin is a petty criminal running a modest country. He is trying to make any international event look more threatening or important than it is to show why he should remain Czar.

Russia has first hand knowledge of a great power that disintegrates into separate free states. Just as rotting vegetables fall apart, so do bad countries of different people be tied together by artificial means.

Kosovo will need some support from new found friends and she will receive it.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

........Wherea's Croatia and Slovenia refuted the authority of Serbia and declared independance, they were both countries in their own right before the formation of Yugoslavia.....

Thats true, more or less, but the fact is that Kosovo and its people never got a chance to form their own country, due to the fact that throughout history they have always been under the rule of some other nation. Now, for the first time they saw an opportunity to declare independence, and that is surely brave and worth our approval.

And, of course, i know what the US has to gain from this situation, and i know that they are not doing it because of their concern for the people of Kosovo, but rather because of their economical and strategical interests.

But, on the other hand, Russia wants the same thing!

Everybody knows that Russia considers Serbia their proxy in Europe, so the fact that Serbia is getting smaller and smaller, and is in economical and political chaos, doesn't appeal to them.

Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against Serbia personally, despite everything that happened, but given the fact that all hell broke lose the last time this sort of thing happened, largely due to Milošević and Serbian aggressions, you can see how I would take the side of the Kosovar people on this one...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You know what is really nice to hear is as they were showing interviews of ethnic Albanians almost all of them said thank you to the U.S.A. something we don't hear very often but it is nice to hear when we do hear it..

that is no to say that we are responsible for their freedoms just that many of the Albanians feel as though we helped in a big way..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This Kosovo matter small like a rat!
Why would the EU acknowledge Kosovo independence when the majority is Muslim Albanian, which in fact makes Albania the first European Muslim country?
Turkey is trying hard to be recognised as European country, but face lots of opposition from the same Europeans country that endorse Kosovo right for independence.

Something is so wrong…

kacou

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is where I am deeply concerned honestly.. Nothing against Muslims, but it is far out of character for some of these countries.. like France.. to be supporting a muslim people over a Christian people.

If the oil story is true, that may have a big part of it.. it would explain Russian anger as well.

Interesting times for sure..

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Kosovo is an illegal international entity, which will never amount to a sovereignty as far as UN and most of the world is concerned. Russia, China, India, and over a dozen other nations have already voiced outright denouncement of Kosovo independence, and will not recognize it. Many European nations like Spain, Greece, and Czech Republic also will not issue a recognition.

The new Kosovo "government" is made up of criminals and recognized terrorists, and most world leaders will not accept it into their ranks.

U.S. and NATO have outright violated the international law of "territorial integrity", and NATO violated its own laws by attacking a nation that posed no threat to it whatsoever.

And Russia refuses to back down, and is pushing emergency UN Security Council meetings every single day now.

So to all Albanians and those who support them - you already have a country. It is called Albania, and it is the only third world country in Europe - so do not try to create another dump in Kosovo. Greater Albania will never be.

Now who is ready for an independent North Ireland, Quebec, Basque, Catalonia, Corsica, Respublika Srpka, Transdniester, Abkhazia, Crimea, Nagorno Karabakh, Kurdistan, and hundreds of other wanna-be sovereignties? Go get your independence everyone...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join