It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Channel - Life after Humans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

This was the most pointless thing I ever watched. I can't believe that no one else noticed that the whole thing is an excuse to play up the whole "Left Behind" idea. The whole program is blatantly pandering to those very strange people who think people are going to magically disappear if they have been
good enough just before the end happens.

There is simply no scientifically valid way that the human species would disappear at the height of our technological development without also causing the destruction of the cities and the extinction of many species of animal. The show, if it were even remotely realistic, would have to deal with the fact that our cities would be mostly rubble on day one and would become virtual deserts for decades afterwards.

Rrrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttttttt.
How humanity disappeared was NOT what the show was about. It was about how long what we left behind would last even under the most ideal conditions.
How dare they not bother with that part. How dare they. *rolls his eyes*

Even in Pripyat, the animals are mostly confined to the woods surrounding the city itself. Why would an animal risk it's life walking around a concrete and steal desert? There is no food, water, safety, or good shelter to be found in a dead city!

If you paid attention you would note that the animals didn't really start moving in unless 1) they lived there before 2) plants have made fair process reclaiming it. Sorry no desserts, except in well dessert cities.

The part about zoo animals eventually escaping is when I almost threw the remote at the TV. Do you think zoo animals would live past a few weeks? Even if they did escape, they would still die within weeks. That whole part was ridiculous. They could have just said, "Everything alive will flee or die in the cities once humans are all gone." and been done with it.

Yes because nothing but humans live in cities.
And any number of animals in the zoo are classified as escape artists, otherwords they are always trying to find ways out of their enclosures
and at times even make it out.

And they would probly get as far away from the cities as they could get.
Your assuming they would just mill around the city which is rather false.

EDIT: Plague? Nah, we have these things called immune systems that tend to evolve solutions to that kind of problem. We also have hundreds or thousands of fully isolated communities where the human race would survive and from which we would eventually repopulate the earth.

I find this comment hardly worth responding to.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant
How dare they not bother with that part. How dare they. *rolls his eyes*

Yeah, then lets just make a show about how the world would be different if the moon just disappeared suddenly or any number of other stupid suppositions. If you like watching popcorn entertainment that pretends to be educational and scientific, so be it.

Did you take notice how many times the narrator started a sentence with, "Scientists believe.."? That is a classic tip-off that you are watching a BS program wrapped with scientific-sounding narration that is intended only for ratings.

Yes because nothing but humans live in cities.
And any number of animals in the zoo are classified as escape artists, otherwords they are always trying to find ways out of their enclosures
and at times even make it out.

And they would probly get as far away from the cities as they could get.
Your assuming they would just mill around the city which is rather false.

You obviously missed the point that most animals in zoos are in the wrong climate for them to have any hope of survival. Without special climate control systems and constant care they would simply die. Most animals can't adapt to different climates like we do. It has nothing to do with escaping.

Seriously, escape artists? Most of them are in cages and pens and they can't escape with humans around so why could they escape without human intervention? They wouldn't - they would simply die of starvation or exposure in their pens and cages.

In short, zoo animals are non-issue. They would be long dead before the windows even started to break in an empty city.

I find this comment hardly worth responding to.

Aw, what is the matter? Didn't think about the impossibility of an illness getting rid of all humanity? I will let you slide on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like the show. I wanted to see bombed out ruins of cities being engulfed in lush green life after only a short time. I wanted to see territorial animals fight it out and scavengers, drawn in by the smell, picking through the bones of our dead. I wanted to see exactly how animals would have to evolve in order to live and even thrive in our ruins. Instead, what we got was a Hallmark made-for-TV special about an impossibly sterile environment slowly going back to nature.

Jon

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

Yeah, then lets just make a show about how the world would be different if the moon just disappeared suddenly or any number of other stupid suppositions. If you like watching popcorn entertainment that pretends to be educational and scientific, so be it.

Did you take notice how many times the narrator started a sentence with, "Scientists believe.."? That is a classic tip-off that you are watching a BS program wrapped with scientific-sounding narration that is intended only for ratings.

Once again.
It was not about what happened to humanity it's about what would be his legacy after he was gone even under the best of conditions. What part of that are you missing?

You obviously missed the point that most animals in zoos are in the wrong climate for them to have any hope of survival. Without special climate control systems and constant care they would simply die. Most animals can't adapt to different climates like we do. It has nothing to do with escaping.

Haven't been to a zoo lately huh? You make it sound like an aquarium.
Sure some species particularly tropical (or really even any extremity climate) ones would have a hard time (if not impossible) in a temperate zone and are more than likely going to die but not ALL animals are THAT unadaptable.
And the way you said it made it sound like you thought all the animals would just mill around the city. Which is of course a false assumption.

Seriously, escape artists? Most of them are in cages and pens and they can't escape with humans around so why could they escape without human intervention? They wouldn't - they would simply die of starvation or exposure in their pens and cages.
In short, zoo animals are non-issue. They would be long dead before the windows even started to break in an empty city.

You don't watch animal planet do you?
Certain species are always finding a way out.
Remember the tiger that got out recently?
Well that was the sadder and more published incidents.
Or perhaps you believe that all animals are just stupid below grade beings.
And they said it was possible they did not say it WOULD happen.

Aw, what is the matter? Didn't think about the impossibility of an illness getting rid of all humanity? I will let you slide on that one.

If you want to keep that overly positive attitude is your business.
Might as well fire the CDC then huh?

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like the show. I wanted to see bombed out ruins of cities being engulfed in lush green life after only a short time. I wanted to see territorial animals fight it out and scavengers, drawn in by the smell, picking through the bones of our dead. I wanted to see exactly how animals would have to evolve in order to live and even thrive in our ruins. Instead, what we got was a Hallmark made-for-TV special about an impossibly sterile environment slowly going back to nature.

As long as it showed you exactly what you wanted in the way you wanted.
That much is obvious.

What the show was stated as and I think they damn good job of doing was, what would happen to all of humanities junk (under IDEAL conditions) should he leave them behind, of course its not going to be as neat as they showed it but that is NOT what the show was about.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

think more along the lines of human-only sickness, some kind of worldwide killer flu virus, hey here's a good idea, worldwide famine! One other thing they forgot to mention is the decaying bodies lying around will be further fueling the reproduction of new life (probably in the form of maggots and flies which are substantial to eco systems and support other more advanced life such as frog lizards, spiders, etc and on up the food chain from there. Also not bad for more basic life like bacteria, etc.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This was a very thought provoking documentry. However what would cause all humans to vanish from the face of the planet? I find it hard to beleive that humans would be totally wiped off the face of the planet even by famine or pleague. Even a nuclear mishap, war, or whatever could not wipe out all life on the planet. I do believe tha it could push back civilization several decades if not centuries. But would we still be maintaining our modern day marvels, probably not, which would probably lead to the results as described in the documentry, except that not all of the humans would be gone.

[edit on 8/19/2008 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is on now. They're doing NY tonight. This show gives me the fidgets something fierce.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's the History Channel. They have switched over to bubblegum programming. I watched part of the show, and it was OK. However, History Channel is nothing but light entertainment.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join