It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machines 'to match man by 2029'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

Machines will achieve human-level artificial intelligence by 2029, a leading US inventor has predicted.

Humanity is on the brink of advances that will see tiny robots implanted in people's brains to make them more intelligent, said Ray Kurzweil.

The engineer believes machines and humans will eventually merge through devices implanted in the body to boost intelligence and health

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hopefully his predictions are accurate, the idea of nanobots implanted in the body to improve all aspects of our lives and allow complete virtual reality sounds good to me.

What are your thoughts, is this the future for mankind? Sounds like its straight from the matrix however a better scenario than world war waged over fossil fuels. The other challenges to mankind listed are :

Make solar energy affordable
Provide energy from fusion
Develop carbon sequestration
Manage the nitrogen cycle
Provide access to clean water
Reverse engineer the brain
Prevent nuclear terror
Secure cyberspace
Enhance virtual reality
Improve urban infrastructure
Advance health informatics
Engineer better medicines
Advance personalised learning
Explore natural frontiers

At least some of humanity seems to have its head screwed on.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

IDDQD. Ruining the game

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Asking for nothing but trouble for humans.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Not a chance in hell. Its the elite who want transhumanism. I would have loved it years ago, but now what i know about these bastards, all they see are slaves everywhere to control.

Unless AI becomes sentient, benevolent, and creates a technological singularity event, then the answer is no.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

I was trolling.

Trying to make the point of how it's probably a good idea to reconsider our path. If you see me post an article to the BBC you can rest assured i don't agree with the content.

Transhumanism is however inevitable.

I totally agree with your post!

There's benevolent uses and a case for creating an AGI, unfortunately those at the forefront of design don't seem to have those motives in mind.
edit on 20/1/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade
What are your thoughts, is this the future for mankind?

Yes, initially for the haves and once it can be mass produced for the nots. If we don't vaporize ourselves first this is the only way we're effectively getting off earth to spread our personal kind of joy throughout the universe.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

news.bbc.co.uk

Machines will achieve human-level artificial intelligence by 2029, a leading US inventor has predicted.

Humanity is on the brink of advances that will see tiny robots implanted in people's brains to make them more intelligent, said Ray Kurzweil.

The engineer believes machines and humans will eventually merge through devices implanted in the body to boost intelligence and health

Kurzweil's an interesting guy, but I think he overestimates AI and underestimates humans. And I'm not entirely sure what he's using as his definition of "intelligence." The ability to retrieve information? They're ahead there. The ability to make judgements? They're very bad at it.

On the other hand, if they could make Rosie the Robot Maid to come do dishes and so forth, I'm ready!

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Not sure why thread was bumped, i posted this 14 years ago.

I think AI will come on like a flood eventually, we can't say when the technological singularity will take place but if we continue to advance our digital systems it's going to be an inevitable scenario.

edit on 20/1/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
So...who's going to out themselves as Morpheus, Trinity & Neo?

Getting just a tad unsettling lately in the tech arena, the huge changes & leaps in progression within very short timefames have immense potential to quickly cripple us (just look at 2 years of a stupid cold bug's effects, and thats just organic #, not AI)

edit on 1/20/2022 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This time, it's obviously a legit thread necro, as its damn easy to look at the article as a whole from 14 years ago, and compare them with today's tech environment. Consider it following up? We're not far off from those old projections.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

We need someone with Kurzweils spirit in charge of the project not military or big tech, i think it was Musk who called for some kind of regulatory body to oversee AI development but instead the greatest threat to ever face humanity is left in the hands of power hungry profiteers and warlords to develop. Globalisation could be a requisite parameter before unleashing such an intelligence, who's to say it's not already set the terms of our surrender or in control of our simulation? We could never fathom the choices or thinking such a being would be capable of.

top topics

join