It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Please! Whats the Best Armed Forces Branch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hello all!
I just graduated and am considering joining the US armed forces.
I'm not for Bush, I think he's the worst president we have ever seen, but I want to serve for the people of the US, and to see what life is like on the military side of things. I'm sure people take great pride in what they do in the military, which is why I want to join, to do something bigger than myself.

Now, I already spoke to a Marine recruiter, because they are the baddest!
(and no baby killer remarks people, thats just beyond ignorant so if you are going to make posts like this, please don't I will ignore them...)
its sad you have to say that to people... but you do...
Anyway, like I said, I just talked to a Marine Corps recruiter, and would be really pumped up to join, but I want to know what you guys think!!!

I'm about to leave tomorrow for Canada to go skiing for a week, so I wont be able to post back, but I'll look forward to all your posts and report back on friday night or saturday morning when I get back.

I really want your help!
Especially you people in the armed forces or ex-military, let me know what you think!
If I don't go Marines, then I'll probably go for Army Special Forces.
I plan on speaking with an Army recruiter when I get back on Saturday.

So whats your advise for a recent college graduate looking to join the armed forces?
I'm physically and mentally prepared for anything... now I just want your advise!

Thanks all! and I look forward to reading what you all have to say when I get back.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I joined the Marines in 1980 and it was and remains the single best decision of my life....

Although college educated, I chose to go enlisted, as I had only a desire to rise above my extreme poor beginnings and I also wanted to see the world.

My time in the Corp is still my finest memories and the most influential in my life...

I have been and always will be a United States Marine.

Semper Fi

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
No, don't listen to the marine!!!!! He is just going to tell you to join them!

Either way, joining any branch is a huge turning point in your life. I have heard that the Air Force gets treated better. You don't have to live in the dorms for too long if you are single. I will not recommend any branch over the other, even though I am in the Air Force.

Just make sure you know that joining is really what you want to do. Once you are in, you are in.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I have been thinking about joining the royal navy and the royal air force in uk.

Am just a bit weary of what some people i will meet in there. i am not single though so i suppose ad get my own house on there.

I would be a chef if i went, somewere that there is less like of a risk to me.
However, for me, i could possible kill but i dont know i guess if der trying to kill me, ill kill them. Just go with your intution, mines always bugging me to go.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
hey you guys, i got a quick chance to check your posts before I leave for the airport.
Thanks for the comments!
I know that the military is going to be right for me.
I graduated with a business degree and the last thing I want to do is sit behind a desk all day.
I want to interact with people from around the world, travel, and earn that feeling of pride you can only get from serving.

Thanks for what you said semperfortis, I too would go enlisted, delayed entry or something? either way, I would go enlisted to get both aspects of life before and after becoming an officer, and to gain the respect of the people I would eventually be leading.

Thank you too secret titan, my grandfather and a good friend of mine served in the air force. In fact, I'm 4 miles away from LAFB so I grew up with a lot of friends whose parents were air force.
personally, I think it might be a bit too cozy for me

thanks for the input guys, I can't wait to hear more!
God Bless our troops

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm partial to the Navy
But I'm biased because my dad was a Navy man. He got to work on some interesting things. If I were going to join, that's the one I'd choose.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've also always been drawn to the Navy due to my love for the sea, but what branch you join makes little difference unless you have specific skills.

You will be indoctrinated and brainwashed within the first few weeks of joining.
Whatever part of the services you choose you'll be convinced you belong to the best bad ass unit that ever existed in the history of the military.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I don't know about military of other nations, however I've read a bit about Australian Services.

I've heard nothing but excellent stories about the Australian SAS. I have no idea how you become SAS - whether you have to be in the army first or what, but I do know that they have learned a lot from Indiginous tribes of Australia on how to handle various forms of conflict, mainly of defensive and not offensive nature.

They learned how to track missing people, and other ancient ways of survival.

Thx

[edit on 17/2/2008 by Im a Marty]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
hey everyone, I just got back from ski trip!
Thanks for the comments!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've made my decision, and I'm going to sign as an Army Ranger.

I'll still have some time before I leave for basic, and I need to train before I go, wish me luck!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You might get to be a Ranger, thats up to the Army. A friend of my son thought the same thing, didn't happen.

Best of luck and thank you for your intended service.

Roper

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The Aussie SAS are reputedly one of the best Spec Ops groups in the world, up there with the UK and Israel.
But you've gotta spend time with the grunts before you move up. The best, bad ass groups aren't going to accept greenhorns. You've gotta prove yourself. Given half the chance, I think I would aspire to join the French Foreign Legion.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Roper

well, when I sign my contract ityll have the option 40 on it for ranger school...
its up to me if i can pass, but they will get me there!

I dont know when your friend applied, but times are different since we're at war i guess...

but thanks for the good wishes!
I'm looking forward to working my ass off! lol

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There is no best branch. That is the truth of the UK Armed Forces. Every site you will visit will depict the US as having the best in the world. I do not doubt the courage of individual soldiers, (from any country), but I do doubt those who say things, without having the experience, to back up an argument which has been lost before they began.

I have spent 22 years in the British Army, I have seen all from NI to Afghan, I have seen my troops react and adapt to situations without fuss and they have done this in the most extreme circumstances.

I have met many soldiers from many countries, but none have shown the courage, to do what the British Armed Forces have done for many years.

The best is the United Kingdom, We should be, (and I hope we all are), proud of a nation that will not back down, we need all in the UK to remember what a great nation we are.

I am sure this can be traced but I do not worry, for those who read this and have thoughts about my loyalty I will reply "No Rnk Nm & Unit"

This is not a revolution chat, it is simple, if you love the UK and all that is with it, you should love the Arme Forces.

A clue to my ID - I was in Berlin when the wall was up, I guarded R. Hess.

If you are young then read this site then join. We need you all.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I don't know which one is the best. I was only in the USAF.

I had a great time. "Off we go, Into the wild blue yonder"

[edit on 22-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Depends on what you want...

Safest = Coast Guard
Best Treatment = Air Force
Most Travel = Navy
Best chance of being in combat for a very long time = Marines/Army

The problem is...today's wars aren't like those of our forefathers... They didn't have to worry about literally civillian kids with AK's and grenades... The enemy wore uniforms. Not so in modern warfare, so takes a totally different mindset to come through it unscathed mentally.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
All services have their pros and cons. All of them offer a maturing process, and a respect for what matters.
I was born on an Army Base. I was raised Army. Fort Campbell is where I started. Fort Benning.

Ranger. Takes more inner strength than you might ever think. I don't care what you've been through in your life, the process of becoming a Ranger will make ANYTHING you've experienced pale in comparison. It's not like signing up for the ASVAB test. It is real. It is tough. It will test every single cell in your body, then ask for more. Fear? It is human. Everyone has it. I do. But you will have to put it aside and do things you never thought of doing. Your CO will do absolutely everything to toughen you up. Just short, and I mean JUST short of letting you die, he will ride your butt. It's a task which you might, but I doubt you can really imagine.

Ranger.

I hope one day to salute you in honor of your Ranger accomplishment.

I know of what I speak.

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by lombozo]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Get into something that requires a high security clearance if you can. Once you get out you will be able to parlay that into a much better salary if you get into the right field.

As far as the best branch goes, that depends on who you listen to.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by badgerprints]

top topics

join