It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machines 'to match man by 2029'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Machines 'to match man by 2029'

news.bbc.co.uk

Machines will achieve human-level artificial intelligence by 2029, a leading US inventor has predicted.
Humanity is on the brink of advances that will see tiny robots implanted in people's brains to make them more intelligent said engineer Ray Kurzweil.

He said machines and humans would eventually merge through devices implanted in the body to boost intelligence and health.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
2029 is going to be an interesting year. We will avoid an Earth-killing asteroid or may be we wont!!!

And now the only survivors of such a possibility may be artificial life-forms or an almalgamation of man and machine!

There is even the potential that the Xbox 1080 or Playstation VII mod could be intergrated into the human body!

Still, the idea that machines could one day become more intelligent than man is eerie!

I think I would rather be a dumb nut than have nano technology implants. I think!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/2/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In some ways the machines are smarter than even the smartest humans today. I just wonder how long we will stay this way.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
In some ways the machines are smarter than even the smartest humans today. I just wonder how long we will stay this way.

Indeed.

I wonder how long it will be before the Super AI will be managing people.

We have security lights in our garden that protect our sheds etc. How long before these sensors that can detect movement and differentiate between a cat and a human are given the ability to deal with the intruder? Hmmm. Flashbacks to Robocop and the ED-209

[edit on 16/2/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
this is a very big step, i study AI at Uni and the first thing we watched on our first lecture was Robo mop. not to safisticated just used the sense of touch to
move around. if it hits an object it will move in another direction.

its been over 40 years since Mankind have started looking at AI and the bennifits it would have and so Far its not so great.

i am thinking that 2029 is abit far feteched for robots to achive human Inteliect which is Touch , Smell and other senses. i know these can already be detected by most machines by programing them to do so, but thats not AI as it has to be programmed and designed for that Job.

in my view i dont see this Happening in the next few decades but i do see it having alot of Breakthroughs in that area but not to that extent.

also anyone watch 4400?

anyone who watches 4400 will know what i am talking about.

the Human Identity Installed on small nanites to take control of others. for instance A gets him self imprinted on device and then injected into B who A then gradualy takes control of as the Nanites take over the body.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

If you read up on just what 'artificial intelligence' entails, you'd realize that machines are quite stupid.

You can ask a three year old child simple questions and give them tasks that no thinking machine that can yet discriminate.

Though they're getting close, no chess machine analyzes a game better than a human, except for brute force attacks. It's difficult to program in the idea of a 'sacrifice play'.

The 2029 date seems reasonable as a target for achieving something close to the human mind, which calculates somewhere in the range of 10-50 Petaflops (quadrillion floatng point calculations/second). That's about 10 million times faster than a typical desktop PC, which is on the order of about 1 billion flops.

But who's to say that just reaching this speed will allow even the illusion of 'human thinking potential'?

The real jump should happen when machines are able to desigh and build better computers/machines/replicas than man.

Bear in mind that Mr Kurzwell, a noted futurist, is paid to make these kinds of 'out there' predictions.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
OK, we need to take a second here and define what 'Human Intellect' is.

It's not the five senses (taste, smell, etc.), though it may require those to perceive the world around them. However, it is difficult to give a machine human-like senses.

Even though one can create sensors that perceive things many thousands of times more sensitively, it is difficult to program in discrimination. When do you look closely, when do you step back?

Intelligence is defined as the capacity to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn.

Some people include traits such as creativity, knowledge, and wisdom. I suppose you might add something about 'self-awareness'.

Computers score high on certain problem-solving abilities and not so high on others. They score low on thinking abstractly. Their ability to learn is primitive.

So the challenge isn't just to turn over more processing speed. It's a synergy.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

i know what you are getting at

AI isnt defined by what a computer is programed to do but how it interacts with the world around it and adjusts to its surroundings.

So Far AI has just been computers progranmed to do certain tasks.
the Chess Machine and rubix robot all designed to do that task.

AI has to be a machine that takes those traits and learns to use it on its own to be a true AI and not another Program.

and on Computers calculating More then Humans
with Moore's Law with the processing power of a CPU going up it wont be that long

just tell me if i am babling i am kind of bored

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

yeah,people forget that computerised intelligences only have to commit to a limited number of functions.they dont have to learn how to run,sing,play guitar,maths,regulate immune systems and so on.the human mind is in control of so many different functions along with all the higher processing capabilites,hell you seen those walking robots?,there cutting edge but a toddler is just as good!,now imagine if it had to see,hear,talk,learn.pass bowel movements and all the other things a human had to do!.

now ive entertained this thought for a few years, what happens when an artificial intelligence gets access to the internet with the ability to understand human langauge and learn....???,well it has the potential to learn the entire sum of human knowledge!,imagine how smart it would be possible for it to grow,i placed a bet with my friend its inevitable,its going to happen!.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think that once it happens, once human intelligence would be simulated completely by machine, then we will become obsolete and scrapped.Not upgraded with all these shiny chips.
Because biological processes are just not fast enough comparing to direct electronic or even light-driven flow of information.

I meen ,we as Human Race. Different race will be born

[edit on 16-2-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
For all you interested people out there, I suggest looking at what is known as the technological singularity

Many think that it will occur in the 2030's.

new topics

top topics

join