It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Does public camera monitoring make UK public paranoid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I was just wondering, I have heard and read a lot of information about all of the cameras being placed in public in and around th Uk, Especially in London. I know that the storyline is that the cameras are placed there for "public safety" purposes, but It seems that these "eyes in the sky" are at every corner.

Most people don't mind cameras in public, but I'm wondering are people in the uk...just the general citizens, having feelings of paranoia...Do you feel Big Brother is always watching?

My other question is this: Has crime gone down because of the use of the of these high tech cameras in public?

I have not been to the UK in a great number of years so I would appreciate feedback from anyone who lives there or travels there frequently.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What uk people should be more worried about, is being watched in there homes. Its quite a big thing in the uk, apparently.

The social services want all parents that are drug addicts or something similar to be watched in there homes. Who knows how many are being watched in there homes, and who decides these people have the right to perve into peoples homes.

Thats the bigger question.

By the way, crime has not gone down, because of cctv in public, most people just will not bother reporting to the police, because for many reasons.

[edit on 2/16/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Why do people have to report to the police? I had the impression that the cctv cameras saw something, the police would just pick you up!

Regarding cameras in homes, is that something that social serviices is requiring to protect the children against some "drug crazed" parent?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

No how would they identify someone. Someone from another area comes into your area, and commits a crime, and goes. How would local police know them.

I have a theory that police like criminals and dislike people who never commit crimes. Can you guess why, people who never commit crimes, never make money for the police. Police are there to protect there budgets too. Thats just a fact.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Ive lived in the suburbs of London for all of my life and it would be a lie to suggest that things are safer than they once were.

Cameras are everywhere in built up areas nowadays, especially town centres and the like. Whilst I can understand the logic behind cctv, it seems to have had no effect and crime whatsoever, so why do more and more cameras keep getting put up?

I have to say I have noticed that cameras are spreading out of busy areas and into relatively quiet areas where there is hardly a high crime rate. For me at least this is a concern, as it would seem to be a pointless exercise.

All in all, I do feel as if being watched a lot of the time, especially when out with friends in busier areas.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JCM64

I agree that it is an uneasy feeling in the back of one's mind that we are being watched, even if you are doing nothing wrong at all.

I wonder why the cctv in your outlying areas? I recently read an article regarding this issue in which British Police claims it DID cut down on crime....but that seems to be refuted in the same article. news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
well I have to confes that I havent researched the matter much, and I cannot back up my claims of the effect of cctv on crime with hard statistics.

However I will say that living in a town which had next to no cctv cameras 12 years ago, and now has dozens possibly hundreds across the town area, crime, or more specifically 'petty' crime (graffitti, vandalism, 'yob' culture etc) has definatly not decreased over those years and if anything has increased. And most people I know would agree with me that crime has increased in the last 12 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hi , Yes we have shed loads of cameras here, not quite on every corner but its heading that way!! The UK citizen is now under surveilance where ever he goes be it by car or bus ! in shops , on the high st , even in elevators , can you believe that ?

I used to defend CCTV as i used to install and maintain CCTV systems ,BUT, im seeing more and more of it now and it is closing in. I feel we are loosing our privacy and our liberty (if we had any) slowly over time , it is turning into a Big Brother scenario here!!!

And yes i hate it but what can be done. the British people as ever just shut up n put up , its getting a lil bit out of hand now

regards

Git

top topics

join