It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not everyone who calls on Jesus is saved

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

An excert from Matt 7. But too many today are taught just believe in Jesus and you will be saved. The text above states clearly that many will call his name and he will reject them.

What does this mean.............?

Please note the detail in verse 22....have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Yet Jesus rejects them......could this mean all those TV preachers are fake? All those "wonders" on TV.........

What about casting out devils? Could this mean those famous catholic exorcisims?

What does this MEAN?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Look at the last statement: " ...those who work iniquity."

You have to understand, you can live in sin day in and day out, hence: "worker's of iniquity", laboring in sin as if it were a job, a thing they did day in and day out and, you can still work the works of Christ. How? Just by the Power in the Name. I mean, look at Judas, he was numbered among the 12 but could have very easily fit the example laid out here.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

John 3:16
New International Version (NIV)

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

This is why people believe that believing in Jesus will get you into heaven. Because the bible says so.

As for the exorcisms, etc. there weren't any televangelists around back then so I don't think that's what is being referred to. But yes, there are some fakes and phonies out there, which is why no one should just blindly follow what the church "leaders" say.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
There is a difference between being 'saved' and 'entering into the kingdom of heaven.'

To be saved is to be rescued, delivered, protected, healed, and/or preserved.
To enter into the kingdom of heaven is to rule or reign.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Yet Jesus rejects them......could this mean all those TV preachers are fake? All those "wonders" on TV.........

What about casting out devils? Could this mean those famous catholic exorcisims?

What does this MEAN?

Another verse that is often overlooked in Matthew could apply here as well:

Matthew 24:5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

But my thoughts exactly heliosprime... There are many false preachers who are raking in the cash today. Nothing more than mere actors and money making machines. Ironic, as they may have led thousands to christ, yet they themselves are not saved and face eternal damnation.

While it's not funny at all, a friend of mine in California was telling me about a preacher out there named Rev. Price who requests a credit application to become a member of his church !?! WTH ???

I could go on and on, but I tell you, there certainly are "many" false preachers, Claiming the name of our Savior Jesus Christ, deceiving many.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Greetings all!

So many people believe that all of the Old Testament teachings were "nailed to the cross" along with Christ.

However, Christ himself says: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, noth the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everthing is accomplished". Matthew 5:17-18.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

John 3:16
New International Version (NIV)

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

This is why people believe that believing in Jesus will get you into heaven. Because the bible says so.

I would just like to add that believing in Jesus is more than simply believing that a guy came and died nearly 2000 years ago for your sins, and that grants you access to Gods Kingdom. I believe certain people in the past existed and did what the history books said they did, that doesn't mean I agree with them and try to live my life according to theirs. Jesus said "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). The word translated as "believe" in greek (pisteuō) means more than simply believe. It also means to to place your trust in, to commit to, to give credit to etc. After all, simply believing is not always enough...

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by doctorex

I suppose it depends as to what your object of faith is.

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,.. (Galatians 6:14)

Men love to take the cross and add "works" to it, like the LAW. If in any of this there is room for me to say, "I" , then "I" have added to the cross of Christ. God doesn't leave any room for man except to begin in faith and end in faith:

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

And as for works:

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Unless your focus is on the right object of faith, the Cross of Christ, any vain attempt outside of that is just that, vain. I love the way God set the plan of salvation up! Men love to abide by Laws, because it is something they can say "I" keep, "I do." But the way God devised the plan of salvation, working from the inside out, only He can create the will and only He can provide the ability to do that will, which He created in you. Like I said, From Faith to Faith.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It just means don't go acting like an evil bastard and then spend your Sundays in church being a hypocrite. And then on your death bed or some catastrophy, call for salvation and or a miracle.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
And where in the Bible does it say "go to church on Sunday"? Umm that's right it doesn't. It's the 7th day sabbath (saturday). Sunday is for the worship of the sun god Baal, not Christ. And it's for the full 24 hour period, not one or 2.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hi jdposey, Although we are not saved by our works alone, but by our faith in God through Jesus Christ, however it is our works which show our faith, and we are judged and rewarded in relation to our works, both good and evil...

James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

ames 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

2Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:

Revelation 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

Revelation 18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.

[edit on 20/2/08 by doctorex]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anticipation of Peace
And where in the Bible does it say "go to church on Sunday"? Umm that's right it doesn't. It's the 7th day sabbath (saturday). Sunday is for the worship of the sun god Baal, not Christ. And it's for the full 24 hour period, not one or 2.

What are you trying to say, that Christians who worship on Sunday are not saved and worship baal ?!?

I found this article on the web, good explaination:

On what day did the early church meet for worship? Scripture never mentions any Sabbath (Saturday) gatherings by believers for fellowship or worship. However, there are clear passages that mention the first day of the week. For instance, Acts 20:7 states that "on the first day of the week the disciples came together to break bread." In 1 Corinthians 16:2 Paul urges the Corinthian believers "on the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper." Since Paul designates this offering as "service" in 2 Corinthians 9:12, this collection must have been linked with the Sunday worship service of the Christian assembly. Historically Sunday, not Saturday, was the normal meeting day for Christians in the church, and its practice dates back to the first century.

The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday. The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sabbath rest, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

GENESIS 2
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

EXODUS 20
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is , and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The seven day week with Sunday as its Holy Day was introduced by the Roman emperor Constantine as part of the Christian reforms in 321AD.
We also know that Sunday was the first day of the week according to the Roman calender but later changed by Constantine.

Now that we have the definitions, it quite clear that Sunday is a Pagan Holiday and that the Sabbath is a Holy Day. So how did we in the Church get around to replacing the Sabbath with Sunday. Well in 325 C.E. (A.D.) the Nicene Council under the leadership of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great started the change by trying to get rid of everything Jewish.

I always thought it strange that when the Jewish believers wanted to make the Gentile believers in the Jewish Messiah converts to Judaism; there was a champion to defend their rights and as we have seen the Jerusalem Council listened to him. But when the Gentiles believers in the Jewish Messiah; not only wanted but forced the Jewish believers in the Jewish Messiah to give up everything Jewish; there wasn’t a Jewish Bishop invited to this Council and there certainly wasn’t a champion among them. Talk about a stacked deck!

Earlier in this article I stated that Sunday was established 574 years before the USA was originated and now I said that in 325 C.E. it was declared that Sunday was to replace the Sabbath, if you have noticed that then you must be saying that’s a lot longer than 574 years. Well you are correct! It took from 325 until 1202 C.E. before it was fully established. A few years ago on Discovery TV there was an article about Sunday and why Constantine wanted to make it the day of worship, this article on secular TV stated that Constantine made Sunday the day of worship to honor His sun god. But the reason to took so long is covered next.

So, finally, we find upon honest examination that NOT ONE of the texts speaking
about “THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK” sets it apart as a rest day. Not one makes it
holy, calls it the Sabbath or by any other sacred title. In EVERY case, the first day of the
week was a common work day.
In NONE of them was there a religious meeting and preaching service being held on
the hours we now call SUNDAY. In NONE of them can we find a single shred of BIBLE
AUTHORITY for Sunday observance! There is no record in the Bible of celebrating the
resurrection on Sunday.

I rest my case.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreOne

Hi/

Read what defcon365 wrote in his quotes!
Excellent reference......

Acts 20:7 states that "on the first day of the week the disciples came together to break bread."
First day of the Week is Kiriaki mera....Greek Gospel, meaning the Lords Day!
Re read what Defcon365 has quoted!

God was not present in Human form in the Old Testament......He came to full fill and we have the New Testament.
Sunday also is what the Passover was....every Sunday is a small Pascha/passover....the whole of the Church setting and Liturgy and the candles and the Psalms read in Church are like Heaven...

Every holy day of the Orthodox liturgical year relates to the Resurrection directly or indirectly. Every Sunday of the year is dedicated to celebrating the Resurrection. In the liturgical commemorations of the Passion of Christ during Holy Week there are frequent allusions to the ultimate victory at its completion.
here~

It is a reminder of what is to come!

IX
helen

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by doctorex

Hello to you, Doctorex!

I think the best example to use in gaining insight into the nature of "works" that the scriptures imply, is to look at the Pharisees. I think the best summarization you can give concerning the Pharisees would be that they were so lawfully minded, they were of no compassionate good.

Look at Jesus' words to the Pharisees, John 8:39

They (Pharisees) answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

If you go into verse 40 of John 8, you will see Jesus exposing the true intent of their heart, murder. Which was the opposite of Abraham, who they referred to as their father. What were the works of Abraham that Jesus accused the Pharisees of "not doing?"

For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Romans 4:2-5)

So we see that the works that Abraham did, which the Pharisees were not doing, was a "heart issue": FAITH; and from Abraham's faith came the characteristic works which he became known for, Abraham was a merciful, charitable, and hospitable man. This is why Jesus made the statement to the Pharisees that they needed to clean the inside of the cup and platter that the outside may become clean. Like I stated in the beginning, The Pharisees were so lawfully minded, they were of no compassionate good.

As for works, James and Paul were never at odds in what they were conveying. You quoted a lot of scripture from the Epistle of James, but it was James who scolded his readers for the same issues Jesus scolded the Pharisees, their hearts were not reflecting the works of faith that it should have. One can read chapter 2 of James and clearly see this: respect of the rich over the poor, despising the poor, not showing mercy, warring amongst themselves, lusting. Like the Pharisees, these were not even remotely close to doing the works of Abraham. Their flesh had taken them over completely. James gives us what pure, undefiled religion is in chapter 1 verse 27.

Like I stated in my previous post when I made reference to Phillipians 2:12-13 and "working out" our salvation. Everything I have tried to show in the above post is an example of the WORK of God that is required of each of us, His pleasures, as the scripture states: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. "

The Pharisees were good at telling people WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING to please God, yet, NOT A ONE of them were doing that which they were advising everyone to do. Times have not changed anything, people will still rise up, confused in what "works" mean in relation to the Cross and faith and likewise, echo the words of the Pharisees.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreOne

Hey WeAreOne!

Let me lay this scripture context out:

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

I truly understand your sincerity in what you are attempting to do, for that, you should be commended. Although, I would have you to realize, what you are attempting to do is direct everyone to the SHADOW of what Christ fulfilled lawfully and established SPIRITUALLY.

We have a choice, we can worship God in spirit, or, we can worship God in flesh. We can operate in the shadows or we can operate in the spiritual fulfillment of the shadow which was laid for man, by God, in directing him to an "everlasting" Sabbath rest, the finished work of Christ upon the cross.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I suppose not. I call on him almost daily, and am not saved. I'm usually taking his name in vain, but I'm calling him none the less.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have to say that the biggest thing that I have realized is that we do not choose God, He chooses us. Only then do we get to choose if we follow him or not.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Now, that is enough for me to know that He chooses us first. And that my friends is INCREDIBLE. I'm truly blessed to have been drawn.

So therefore, no we are NOT saved by grace.
The laws of the Old Testament were not "nailed to the cross".
The Sabbath is a key in building your relationship with God along with observing his Annual Holy Days.

Man's interpretation of the Bible is from man. Only God can show one the true meaning in His time.

Many things were sealed up for the end times, so therefore things don't always make sense. However, we are in the End times and anyone who would like to learn more can order books for FREE.

www.the-end.com...

I recommend them as they are truly eye opening to the TRUTH of God and His Son and His Plan.

God Bless everyone!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anticipation of Peace
I have to say that the biggest thing that I have realized is that we do not choose God, He chooses us. Only then do we get to choose if we follow him or not.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Now, that is enough for me to know that He chooses us first. And that my friends is INCREDIBLE. I'm truly blessed to have been drawn.

It certainly is incredible!!! Believing in Predestination (a debate that has existed for nearly 2000 years) though I do side with it, does not connect with the subject of the law here. If you believe in Predestination, that actually has more to do with Grace... Ephesians 1:5-7

So therefore, no we are NOT saved by grace.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

The laws of the Old Testament were not "nailed to the cross".

Romans 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

----------------------

Galatians 3:10-14 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM."

11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."

13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"

The Sabbath is a key in building your relationship with God along with observing his Annual Holy Days.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day

-------------------

Romans 14:5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

Man's interpretation of the Bible is from man. Only God can show one the true meaning in His time.

The Bible can be read by anyone with a sincere and diligent heart to gain it's understanding.The teachings in the New Testament clearly shows us that we are free from the OT law. Those who would teach otherwise are quite confused or distorting the Word! I really don't see how anyone could not read the Bible and fail to see that...

[edit on 23-2-2008 by defcon365]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon365

I guess I didn't add that last word to clarify.. We are not Saved By Grace ALONE, as traditional Christianity teaches.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join