It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side of Warcraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Although best-selling online role-playing game World of Warcraft boasts over ten million subscribers, it's also leaving in its wake an increasing list of casualties.

Even though she's never played the game, 28 year-old Jocelyn is one of the fallen. A well-spoken California resident, she divorced her husband of six years after he developed a crippling addiction to the smash online RPG.

"He would get home from work at 6:00, start playing at 6:30, and he'd play until three a.m. Weekends were worse -- it was from morning straight through until the middle of the night," she told Yahoo! Games in an interview. "It took away all of our time that we spent together. I ceased to exist in his life."

Well this is sad. When someone puts this much time into a game rather than a relationship. But, it made me wonder how much time do all of you put towards your computer or games when you are at home?

Have any of you all had fights over someone spending time on electronics rather than with you or the kids or chores?

Personally, I do have trouble with a couple of my kids on games or the computer too much. It is very addictive and sad.

link to article

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Actually, I don't spend as much time on WoW as I do on here, which is kind of strange really. But, the point here is that I spend a lot of time with my family, so it all works out quite well. And, whenever I meet that special someone, I'll probably have to quit WoW, because nothing will keep me from my woman, whomever she may be!!

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Great Answer Borg.

Only now if more people were like you. It does seem that more and more people are spending more time online and with their video type games instead of with each other.

I think this is dangerous and it breaks familes apart.

Has anyone else had problems or know someone who has had a problem with spending too much time with electronics rather than with their families?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Exactly.
I think the problem is far more she married a retard that couldn't get his priorities straight and put a game before his life and mate.
His fault.
Not the games.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
There are just some things that beat WoW-playing... One of them is a woman in lingerie. I'm sorry, but if that doesn't make a man quit playing WoW, then there's some issues that need to be discussed, me thinks.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

AMEN BROTHA BORG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehehehehhe

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
breaking families apart? that's only the small stuff, Everquest is much worse and has resulted in several deaths...there have also been a few associated with WoW, but those were in conjunction with other games like Starcraft.

the problem isn't really the game, it's the addiction.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I haven't even heard of everquest, and you say it's even worse. That is sad.

I agree with everyone on here who said that he has priorities wrong. I think a marriage and making one another happy should come before a game of anykind. Families should always come first.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It took me over a year to get a single toon to lvl 70. I play wow, but it has never been addictive for me. I am actually pretty bored with it now.
My whole family games but we also make time for just family things so its never been a problem in our home. There are limits.. Limits is the key.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think I could basically pick these types out just by playing with them. After a while you can tell things about people by the way they play and communicate. Almost anytime you meet one of these hopeless idiots, he always happens to have a wife and kids. I'm just thinking in pity of the kids... no way do you have kids, I don't feel sorry for the wife she had a choice.

And then there was that time I heard a baby crying through the voice communication program... Sure I've heard of people successfully juggling their responsibilities as they play, but that image made me sick - I wouldn't have thought it'd bother me until I heard it.

I play these types of games to get away and have alone time and mental stimulation, I would never attempt it while distracted by serious responsibilities, just wouldn't work for me - think Church and State. That's the way to handle this. And if possible let the gamer have his alone time, and if you are a gamer, understand what you get out of playing.

top topics

join