It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Atheists advocate only the 'here and now' why bother writing your thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Atheists don't believe in 'God' or any concept thereof.

Why do Atheists bother fighting to say 'anything' now.

If the words of an atheist would suppose unto tomorrow, what good would it suppose unto that atheist there-after?

Seriously! This is a valid question.

If the Atheist doesn't recognize an after-life, let alone a 'God' principle, Why would it matter for YOU atheists to even write down your thoughts to others? In the hopes of what?

Seriously.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Dust in the Wind - Kansas

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Doctor Doctor? Where are you?

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

That is a good question... one I have to say.... huh?

Are you asking what is the point of writing about atheistic thoughts, or the point of writing at all?

I'm all kerbobbled an confused.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Your questions is an honest one, Ducky. What boggles my mind is why bother coming to an internet forum and wasting away the hours of the only life you believe you have. It would seem one would want to be out there living up every ounce of life possible.

And that is an honest question as well. I've been told several times to log off and go to church instead (
) so thought I'd throw that in as well.

As to them "writing it down." Could it be that is one way they could achieve immortality? Their thoughts and theories drifting around in cyberspace after they are gone? Let's hope the databases and servers where their material is posted never crashes or is wiped clean.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

for my children (well, my hypothetical children)
and their children
and so on and so forth

i may not be around to notice it, but i want my life to leave some sort of positive impact on the future, even if it's completely unrecognized within a few lifetimes, decades, years, months, or days of my death.

as long as i made a difference, it was all worth it

that's how i find meaning in my life.

[edit on 2/16/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Why do Atheists bother fighting to say 'anything' now.

Are you implying that believers in God write their opinions about various subjects because of their belief in God? I would think most people write for the same reason, regardless their spiritual beliefs. To voice their opinion, to share their ideas, to express themselves. It doesn't really have anything to do with belief in a deity...

I mean, after you die and go to heaven, what good are your words on a message board? Why do you write your thoughts to others? I don't see any difference.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

But why bother if we are all gonna be gone one day anyway?

Don't you recognize our ultimate end?

It's all hopeless I tell you, hopeless.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

It's the parts between non-existence that aren't hopeless. well, at least they hope so.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

lol, exactly bro.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
As an atheist why do i write stuff down. Simple, i like to write.

Do you mean why do i bother?

As an atheist i dont only advocate "the here and now". that would be selfish, and i cant afford to be selfish, i have four children. The "tomorrow" i concentrate on is for them.

Why would it matter for anyone to write down their thoughts, not just an atheist.
Are my thoughts and hopes and dreams any less important because i dont believe the same things as a christian or a muslim or a buddhist?

What was the question?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Actually all of our thoughts are hopeless cause at the end of the day we are all just "Dust In The Wind."

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

mojo's quote,

Are my thoughts and hopes and dreams any less important because i dont believe the same things as a christian or a muslim or a buddhist?

In my opinion your thoughts and hopes and dreams are just as important as anyone else's, whether they be christian, muslim or a buddhist mojo.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
But why bother if we are all gonna be gone one day anyway?

well, i'd like to make the best of my time here.

Don't you recognize our ultimate end?

of course i do, but i'm not going to stop eating an apple because it's eventually going to be a core.

It's all hopeless I tell you, hopeless.

hope is something you have in the face of dark despair, not something that's there because you can see the bright, promising future

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I suppose you would have to look at the motivation of the heart as to why posts are made on religious threads by atheists. Of course, none of us have the ability to know what motivates another's heart, unless it comes out very clearly in their post.

Often I think atheist need the reinforcement from other atheists to power their lack of faith since everything around them bears witness to the fact that there is a creator. I have always believed that God's greatest evangelist is nature and especially, at night, under the stars of heaven, that rings even more true. When you are confronted by so much evidence concerning what you see with the eye, and inside know that it couldn't have come about by chance, you have to make every possible effort to offset that evidence, and sometimes, strength in numbers aids in holding on to that fine thread that might send you to the other side.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God... (Psalms 14:1)

That is not an insult, it is conveying: given every evidence of God laid out before you, it is foolish to say that there is no God.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
I suppose you would have to look at the motivation of the heart as to why posts are made on religious threads by atheists.
Often I think atheist need the reinforcement from other atheists to power their lack of faith

And why might a religious person post in threads about atheists? (Which is what you have done here.) Perhaps because they need reinforcement from other religious people to power their faith?

Why would a person need to power a faith that isn't there?

I have always believed that God's greatest evangelist is nature and especially, at night, under the stars of heaven, that rings even more true.

That's one interpretation of nature. But it's not evidence of anything ... except that nature exists. It's says nothing of its origins.

To the OP: Are you there? Do you mean why do atheists write anything at all or just anything is the spiritual forum?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
first i don't know what exactly belief sytem i would 'qualify" into but the question in my opinion is based on a flawed assumption and a vague generalization i.e "here and now" at that.

either way religion always get's people talking

perhaps people who use religion for strength in a belief system would rather atheists just stop talking about their beliefs so that some "religious" don't have to keep rationalizing away the athiest's arguments w faith.

The only question(s) i have with athiests is how much of your reasoning for not believing in "anything" is because you have come to the self-realization the dogmatic beliefs of the church are misleading and often self-serving. Does that in itself mean their is no semblance of an "afterlife"? Is it possible that forfeiting a belief in the afterlife could become a self-fullfilling prophecy when u pass (your mind creates what it believes type of thing) ?

I think it is more likely that no one alive really knows what may happen after their body stops functioning, and the uncertainty is uncomfortable enough to coerce people into deciding what they should believe based on the limited information they have at hand combined w/ their upbringing.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
The only question(s) i have with athiests is how much of your reasoning for not believing in "anything" is because you have come to the self-realization the dogmatic beliefs of the church are misleading and often self-serving.

Good questions. But I'm not sure atheists don't believe in "anything"... I believe in a lot of things. We do know that atheist is a name given to people who don't believe in God (or a higher power) right? That's all it really means.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they don't believe in "anything". Take me for instance. I don't believe in a God, but I do believe that there is something more after we pass from this world. I have spiritual beliefs.

As far as the reasons atheists don't believe in God, there isn't just one reason. I'm sure there are many. The reason I don't believe in God is that I have no indication that there is such a thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Actually all of our thoughts are hopeless cause at the end of the day we are all just "Dust In The Wind."

Its not the "end of the day" yet is it? So while we're here why not be noble and spread our knowledge and write our wisdom. I'm atheist but I'm definitely not selfish.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You're premise is flawed. You ask why we write about anything when we believe there is no time, yet you make statements about tomorrow; clearly time related.

As an Athiest I believe that I have no choice, no free will, and live always and only of perfection but I do have my own goals that I set out to achieve, which are not really mine at all. This dilemna of failing at one's expectations or goals gives us a contrast of supposed imperfection. We can not know one without the other one, and true singularity is but an illusion.

There is non-locality and locality. Locality measures "time", non-locality is non referencial and universal. Simply stating that a thing had no beginning and will have no end doesn't mean that there is only the here and the now. There is whatever is perceived, but it is also of the here and the now or the nowhere, and the here and the now or the nowhere is known because of time, because of the concepts of the finite in contrast to the infinite.

As for your question about why we write our thoughts, why any of us write our thoughts, there are an infinite amount of reasons and then none... I do not know the answer to that question, although I just seemingly answered it.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

top topics

join