It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Billion Gallons of Water Threatens Contaminated Tidal Wave in Colorado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Colorado Town Fears Avalanche of Water

More than 1 billion gallons of contaminated water — enough to fill 1,500 Olympic-sized swimming pools — is trapped in a tunnel in the mountains above the historic town of Leadville and threatening to blow.

Lake County Commissioners have declared a local state of emergency for fear that this winter's above-average snowpack will melt and cause a catastrophic tidal wave.

The water is backed up in abandoned mine shafts and a 2.1-mile drainage tunnel that is partially collapsed, creating the pooling of water contaminated with heavy metals.

More...

Let's hope they figure something out.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

How could the stop that?

Pretty scary.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am curious how it got outa hand?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
what do you do with that much bad water? Any ways that they could cause it to disperse into the mountains? Like blasting the mountain open around it?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Leadville Residents Prepare For Disaster

The sound of deafening warning sirens went off at 5:30 p.m. Friday evening in the town of Leadville.

Federal officials made sure residents of the Village of East Fork were aware of the test as there is increasing concern a nearby mine drainage tunnel will burst. If that happens, officials said a billion gallons of toxic water would flood the community and countless others downstream.

Some said the alarm, accompanied with the message "seek higher ground and use escape roads" were sufficient. Others said it wasn't enough.

More...

And...

Quit stalling

THE LAKE County commissioners are angry and frustrated, and we don’t blame them.

They have been deeply concerned for at least four years about the Leadville Mine Drainage Tunnel, which has been plugged by cave-ins. Behind that precarious plug is an estimated 1 billion gallons of water laced with acids and heavy metals.

The commissioners and area mining engineers fear that the plug could blow out at any moment, sending all that built-up polluted water gushing out of the tunnel. That could cause deadly peril to the 400 people who live in a nearby mobile home park and could cause environmental damage on the Arkansas River for years.

More...

Yikes. There is gonna be a whole lot of finger pointing if, and when, this thing blows...

Typical. :shk:

[edit on 24-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow episode of South Park:

en.wikipedia.org...

Video -short:
newsbusters.org...
Long:
www.southparkzone.com...

Who wants to take bets that Global Warming will be mentioned if something does happen?

[edit on 26-2-2008 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No no, not global warming, it was the crab people. Really... ask the military, they wil confirm it

But on a more serious note... is there any way to save the village without contaminating the whole area? I mean, pumping the water out of the mines does still leave the problem of where to get rid of the CONTAMINATED water.

new topics

top topics

join