It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is it about the Beatles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ok I am sure there has been many Beatles discussions on here, I searched and mostly it was paul is dead, playing their music backwards, john was killed by the CIA (I dont doubt that), etc, etc. What about their influential power, what about their absolute magic working as song writers and musicians. I know there were a few song they didnt write early on, but the majority they did.

Paul was imo one of the best, if not the best bass players that has ever lived, listen to the bass line on this song youtube.com... , also I really think he has written the bulk of the really good songs the Beatles have done. Well my favorites anyway. Dont get me wrong, Lennon has written some great songs, and them together is a song writing team that will never be equaled.

I like their early stuff, but in my opinion they really didnt start heating up until later on. Abbey road, sgt pepper, the white album, awesome stuff. my favorite song has to be this one youtube.com...

The white album had some just lovely songs youtube.com...

obscure songs youtube.com...

I was just having a discussion with my dad the other day, he was alive during all the beatlemania, and to hear him talking about listening to it for the first time, you can just see in his eyes how it moved him. I remember me hearing them for the first time, we always had the beatles playing, my dad has all the vinyl albums. My daughter is 18 months old, and nothing, no music moves her like the Beatles do, that is honestly the only time she sits and listens is when the Beatles are on the radio.

Why is it, what is it about their music that seems to never ever get old, you will find some young punk as willing to listen to the beatles as you would an old man. Granted there are people that dont like them, and to you I say you are lost. No just kidding, but seriously you should give more of a chance to more of their obscure. If you are a metal fan, you have to look at helter skelter, that was the first rocking ass song ever. Like them or not you cannot deny the influence they have had on music.

I wish I could go back in time to see them play together, my uncle saw them at the last concert they did in san francisco. My hope is that when I ditch this earth I will get the opportunity to go back somehow and watch them play together.

Ok I am done now, mostly I am bored as hell today at work, and was sitting here listening to the Beatles and was just wondering, what is it about the beatles that just draws you into their music?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Speaking of great bass, listen to the bass line in Glass Onion from the White Album, one of the coolest bass lines ever!

Personally I feel that John is da man! He wrote most of the contemporary alt-rock that made the White Album so ground breaking. Paul was the pop writer, but John, imo, was the visionary.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's amazing how much we're on the same page here.

I listen to music by the Beatles for about two or three hours a week, at least. As a fan of all genres, I have a tough time listing my "favorite" anything. But by far, the Beatles are my all-time favorite musical talent, and their music would top all my of best song lists. Paul McCartney & John Lennon are two of the greatest musical talents that this world has ever seen, and they were in a group of four together. It's heart wrenching to think that they stopped collaborating so young. But their pain and suffering stemmed from something that as a fan, I can not help but respect. They were tired of playing to sold out shows knowing that nobody could even hear their music. They cried to play smaller shows in small venues, so that they could get back to just playing music.

They revolutionized the world, and their presence is still felt today.

I've watched any documentary I could get my hands on. A friend of mine lent me the Beatles Anthology which is just hours and hours of footage that leaves you in awe.

Just the other night I watched the made for television movie, "The Linda McCartney Story" and even though it focused a lot of it's attention on Paul & Linda's relationship, it gave a strong insight into the demise of the Beatles and their relationship after the fact. It was hardly an Oscar worthy performance, but watching the pain in Paul's eyes after hearing of John's death.. the damn thing almost brought me to tears.

The Beatles and what they represented are even rarer than once in a life time. They were afforded the opportunity to come along at a time when the world needed them.

I've always jokingly said that if I ever had the ability to travel time, my first order of business would be to go back and visit with my step-father who tragically past away when I was younger and my grand-father who passed away before I was born. But from there I would be heading to a live Beatles performance.

Now I'm off to spend an hour or two listening to their music and thinking idealistically.

gunner, have you watched Across the Universe?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
They sparked a fuse leading to a point where people just wouldn't participate in the prison around them. We still are though unfortunately. There is only one way to feep the fuse lit.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I also think that George Harrison is far too often overlooked, not as a guitarist, of which he is a brilliant one, but also as a songwriter. Its disgusting -in a good way- to think that not only did one band have the two greatest pop composers of their/all time, but that they had another guy in the band who could be just as good at the best of times, writing songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which is probably my all-time favourite Beatles songs, as well as Here Comes The Sun, I Me Mine, I Need You, Long Long Long, Savoy Truffle which is another truly awesome song, Something and Within You Without You, another classic.

Its utterly ridiculous when you really think about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Modulus I agree with you, I think Harrison is very much overlooked, not only what he did with the beatles but what he did after the beatles as well. There was magic as a whole, even Ringo added alot to the music, he wasnt the greatest drummer, even the other beatles said he wasnt even the greastest drummer in the beatles, but I dont think you would find a more influential drummer. I love savoy truffle, from the opening of that song it just draws you in. The whole white album is awesome, imo the most artistic and ground breaking album they did. It takes a while to get into it, but once you do, it is great all the way from back in the usssr to goodnight. I think it was so far removed from typical beatles music that people just werent able to listen to it, they wanted the pop that came before.

I have had a lot of people say after revolver it was all over for the beatles, to that I say you are farking insane. That is, in my opinion when they just started getting good. If you cant listen to Abbey Road, sgt pepper, the white album and say those arent the greatest rock albums of all time, you are deaf, and do not know crap about music.

I havent watched across the universe, but I plan on it, I have a bunch of beatles and mccartney stuff comin from netflix. We all sit around and watch that, my wife, my little girl and I. That is the thing about their music, my kid is 18 months old, and she is just drawn deeply into the music, she loves it. It is magical music man, and I think people that say they hate the beatles, have never really given all of their music a chance.

I watched the linda mccartney story also, and an oscar winner it wasnt, but being a beatles fan, I was riveted to the TV watching it. I was also teary eyed when lennon died in the movie. You know you read interviews they both did after the break up, and Paul and John loved eachother, that is pretty obvious reading into what they say about eachother. It is just a sad deal that they never really made amends before John was gunned down. Did you ever see that show on VH1, about Paul going over the lennons house and watching that SNL when they offered the beatles money to come and play? That was a pretty good show also, it also showed the love they had for eachother, and how far old john was sucked in by that damn yoko ono. Also back to the linda movie, I thought that was crazy that they only spent one night apart in all the years they were married, what a love those two seemed to have.

I could go on for hours discussing the beatles, their music is such a huge part of not only my life, but my families life also. We rarely watch TV, but we always listen to music and about 95% of the time it is the Beatles, I listen and listen and never get tired of it.

Thanks all for posting, I thought for a while there this thread was just gonna die out.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I've recently picked up the entire Beatles discography. All I can say is that I can't stop listening to it. I currently have it on my ipod playing randomly, and the variation on style is amazing. They really progressed as artists as time went on.

I only know the basics about the Beatles really, but I can almost hear their entire story in the music alone. I can hear them grow from young men, to truly thoughtful adults just from their writing. You can almost tell when they began their world touring and understanding the universe beyond the niche they were cast in with the British invasion. I blame it on the acid.

I have to say the John Lennon was an amazing, and my favorite song writer of all time. Although there are times that I can almost see him becoming too self involved to take him seriously. The odd thing is, I felt in his music that his ego was growing because of his coming to a greater understanding of life, and love and the universe. It's always a tricky thing I suppose, to come to a greater understanding, and not be too proud of one's self for understanding things that most others do not.

George Harrison though comes in second for me. Although many put Paul on a pedestal, I think George had a lot more feeling and thought behind his writing. For me, it seemed that he was the more emotional of the guys, and kept quiet about it.

Favorite songs include, Across the Universe, Here Comes the Sun, Carry that Weight, Anna (go to him)

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Well I am about three sheets, and listening to the Beatles, imagine that. Right now listening to o bladi obla da, the white album just kicks the arse. Lennon was a good obscure song writer, and for that I really like the artistic side of what he wrote. McCartney wrote some just good every day songs that average joes can understand. You listen to what Lennon wrote, and most of the time you get the sense that he was f ing with the fans, glass onion is a good example of that. Sorry but you never give me your money and carry that weight are still my top two songs, I just love them. Martha my dear, rocky racoon, blackbird, are my other favs, all mccartney songs. It really though is like picking a fav kid, cant do it. i am not making any sense, drunk, kids dont drink alchohol, drunkered out! happiness is a warm gun is playing and I just want to dance, ok now drunkered out!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The best way to get to know the Beatles is with sunshine.

top topics

join