It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jumper'-Style Teleportation Just Barely Possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

'Jumper'-Style Teleportation Just Barely Possible

www.foxnews.com

As fantastic as teleportation seems, it can actually happen in the real world.

"The fact is that physicists have teleported things over miles," said Edward Farhi, the director of MIT's Center for Theoretical Physics. "It doesn't violate the laws of physics."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow, beam me up, Scotty!

It's awesome to think that this is really possible, and that scientists HAVE successfully "transmitted" matter from point A to point B. Just imagine what the military research labs have going with this kind of research/technology.

Then think about the implications of this... super soldiers on the battle field, spies with teleportation abilites, etc. Pretty spooky, if you ask me...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It would be awesome to think this technology exists but telepotation IMO of things over miles is a few years away yet.
If it is true it would change the face of travel forever,my only problem is why reveal this now?? surely it's a massive secret that we shouldn't know yet

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

The above quote from the article states that they HAVE successfully teleported objects over miles of distance.
I would like to find more information about this, but the guy from MIT says that not only is it possible, it's been done.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Pretty amazing news, indeed!

I'm hoping that some of our scientific brains on this forum will post and let us know what they think of this news. As for myself, I'm pretty much in pre-school when it comes to this kinda science!

Thanks for posting, btw.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
By 'objects' damajikninja means a couple of electrons.

Soon it will be a "cloud" of electrons.

Entangled clouds raise hope of teleportation

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Whenever they say something is "barely possible", it's probably a good bet that the technology already exists and has for God knows how long.

Peace

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hmm very intresting lets ask the navy sailors that were zapped into another dimension and all died. during the phili project.

possible but not survivable

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

My thoughts exactly. The military research labs are always 40-50 years ahead of public science, so I can only imagine what DARPA and other labs have going.

Do I speculate that they have working teleportation systems for things such as humans and craft? Maybe, but probably not yet. If anything, I bet the skunk works boys have something that can teleport a donut from the microwave to the table.

[edit on 2/15/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Ahhhh, ok, now I'm onboard with what's going on. Yes, it's only a matter of time (with a capital T, tho.:duh
before we can apply this discovery into everyday use.

Unless, of course, you're the guvment!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't think it was so much 'teleportation' as it was changing a photon's behavior at a long distance.

As I remember it they were observing two photons at different locations and whenever they did something to one, the other changed.

Or something like that...

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Good link.

Atoms can be persuaded to interact with each other so that events affecting one instantly affect another - no matter how far apart they are. Dubbed entanglement, this could open the way to superfast quantum communications systems and ways of teleporting objects by instantly transferring their properties from place to place.
Entangled clouds raise hope of teleportation

But the above suggests to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, transferring the properties of an object doesn't indicate the actual transference of the original object, no?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yup. Pretty much.

What was teleported (so far as the public knows) is the quantum state of the entangled objects.

Kinda disappointing, huh?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

I can see the use of this in evacuation procedures. Like coastlines that are about to be hit by a tsunami. Or areas of volcanic activity can be evacuated when the danger becomes present. Can't wait till they can actually form an atomic pattern map of everything they teleport...That would probably make things a bit more stable and a bit safer.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
reply to post by rhynouk

The above quote from the article states that they HAVE successfully teleported objects over miles of distance.
I would like to find more information about this, but the guy from MIT says that not only is it possible, it's been done.

Great that means I wont have to waste gas to go grocery shopping, just type in on the touch screen what I need and ZAP, there it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I can't remember where I remember this from but I remember there being teleportation booths that would destroy the people who entered and produce a duplicate of the person inside another booth. Probably a TV show, just can't remember which one.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by ThePiemaker]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nailer

Haha! Yeah, it'll be the next new feature for the iPod/iPhone.

Ooo, or maybe Microsoft will bring it to market? It fits with their slogan...
"Where do you want to go today?"

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It is hard to imagine something like this working on a living being. While you could possible arrange the molecules to be a pretty good imitation, how would you be able to give it life? How you be able to transfer our conscious selves into those other bodies? Definitely cool to think about though.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I couldn't imagine being destroyed by a lazer atom by atom. So they could figure out what to teleport somewhere.Doesn't sound to pleasant.Now you could teleport drones to make discoveries and have it relay back information. Spot a new star in the sky triangleate the location.Teleport a drone to take a better look.Admit a light type drone which is mostly plasma or energy would be best choice for teleporting.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well see the application of this in computing and communications way before we ever see anything else. Hopefully it will let us build Skynet and then it can expand on the technology to teleport information through not just space but time.

cue Terminator theme

[edit on 15/2/08 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join