It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats happened to my country???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm from the UK and I love my country as much as the next patriot but every day, without fail, there is something I read about, see on the news or experience that makes me dislike the place I live in.

I know this may get me flamed from other uk'ers which is fine because this is just my opinion..

Lets review 2008 so far (45 days) -

February 15th -

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.timesonline.co.uk...

The spate of suicides, by 16 young people aged between 15 and 27, has prompted national media interest but also great anguish in South Wales. At least seven of the previous victims are thought to have known each other.

Whats going on in Bridge End???

www.thesun.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...
education.guardian.co.uk...
business.timesonline.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

This one seems BIG - www.guardian.co.uk...

February 14th -

I could go on but you get the idea. We loose our freedoms, we have hidden tax's all the time, we are surrounded by
violence and our kids are out of control. Whats going on?

I'm seriously considering moving country, like so many have already -
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/11/15/nemi115.xml

I'm just interested if anyone else feels the same... any country. And what is going on in the world today?? we seem be on a very bad path or are we?

thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Good topic, but I don't think this goes in the 9/11 category.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
ohh didnt mean to put it here... mods please move.. sorry.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
II HAL II:

Yes.....England/Britian has definitely being clamped down on. It is my understanding that there is a very large illegal immigration problem as well as legal immigrants not intergrating themselves into British.

Also Britian is a Monarchy...............the only solution is to do wht the US did.....................revolt.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Check this out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Already being discussed here.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

I agree Hal, its extremely depressing

I could rant about this for ages; extreme taxation, welfare state out of control, kid's running amok, illeagal immigration, crazy fuel prices, even more ludicrous house prices, CCTV every where, the state and its huge number of over paid "civil servants" prying into every detail of your life, media telling you how to live your life.....it goes on and on and on and unfortunately I do not have the time to night to add any more........!

Just seems to me everyone in this country seems to hate everyone else.....there appears to be a culture of fear and mistrust where everyone is either out to screw you unless you find a way to screw them first......!

I have no idea how it has come to this but this is exactly how it feels over here.......!

MR

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

This post isn't simply about the spate of suicides.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am from the u.k. and although i have been reading threads on ats for years i have only just become a member, and being a u.k.er i thought that this would be a good place to start with my first post.... anyhooo.

I know what you mean about the u.k. turning bad.
Every single day something new happens that makes this countries news seem like it has been inspired by a very bad movie.
Murder suicides and destruction along with political conspiracies and machiveilian machinations from the very government that is supposed to exist for the good of the people.

I agree with the revolt idea.
What we need is a revolution of sorts, now i am not advocating a violent revolution because this is supposed to be the 21st century.
But a public political revolt, a march in the syle of the asian students but by every concerned member of "joe public" with enough courage to stand up and be counted.
What would the police do if a million peacful average members of the british public were to march on Downing Street or the Houses of Parliment?
I really doubt that they would even make an attempt to use any sort of physical force against a million average citizens especialy with the media coverage it would draw.

So lets do something now, or just wait and let things get worse.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by Predicon]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the input I'm glad I'm not the only one, some good points.

I just cant see how it can be turned around. I think food, technology and other behaviour effecting things also need to change.. as well as the way we are treated as a people. It needs something huge to change everything which is why I cant see it happening for at least a generation (unless we have a 2012 type event).

Its like we all need to chill out a bit and relax, realize there's a lot more to life than money, winning and vanity, its like we all need a metaphorical holiday to the beach for 6 months. Life's too short to waste it living in places like this with its current climate.

I dont know maybe I'm just ranting lol.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by II HAL II]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

Greetings II HAL II

Apologize for poking my prominent proboscis into your thread, especially since I don't really have any solutions to offer in the larger scheme. I'm simply hoping to cheer you guys up a bit with one of my fav expat blogs . Food for serious thought, or just wistful armchair fantasies...either way is good. A couple of newsletter writers I follow have been touting Argentina as an investment for 2yrs now.

Affordable real estate, superior beef, superb wine, and yes...the women! I myself am planning a look-see trip...but shhhh!...please don't tell the watchers

GLTY

Real estate

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I myself moved to NZ with the intention of never returning to the UK. Alas it was not supposed to be and sadly have returned.
In the two months since returning if have felt much the same as the OP.
When I left university back in 2002 my eyes were wide open to what the government and the banks have been doing for years; slowly eroding any self worth and pride that the citizens of Britain have.
Not to mention the sudden emergence of this survailence culture; there is now 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people.

All I can is that I can't wait to leave this country again.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ferretman2

I think you may misunderstand the nature of the monarchy here - they have no political power.

The immigration is due to labours open door policy and their apparent unwillingness to deport/arrest illegals.

Trendy left wing liberals have also helped create enclaves of immigrants, with the focus only on brits accepting and tolerating immigrants, rather than a push to get them to integrate.

In fact, many of the problems we have at the moment can be laid firmly at the foot of new labour.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Bud, it's not just trendy left-wingers.
David Cameron is a complete waste of space and I would never entrust the security of this country into the hands of such a wishy-washy, do-gooder as him. He scares the living daylights out of me.

The PC brigave have infiltrated every strata of British society.
Our children are being brought up without any sense of respect, regard or discipline.

However, as much as it pains me, Labour has taken such an interfering role that the namby-pamby do-gooders have infected everything with parents unable to discipline their own children, teachers restricted to teaching dogmatic propoganda with little emphasis on British history and cuture.
The Nanny State is rampant.

Immigrants are encouraged to display their heritage and not to integrate whilst Britishness is actively dis-couraged.

Our Foreign Policy is dictated by others.

We have become a nation of whingers and moaners who do nothing but complain but then do absolutely nothing about the very things we complain about.

All in all it breaks my heart.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I used to be proud of my country and to be British, but I really dont like the way thing are anymore, all to PC in favour of the minority, people who work hard are legally mugged by our government. I wont rant on as its a subject I get quite worked up about. So much so we have already applied for our visas, I dread to think what it will be like in 10 years time. Watch out AUS here we come.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Lee(Roy)]

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Lee(Roy)]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lee(Roy)

Lee(Roy), say hello to sethdarke when you get to Oz. He's leaving South Africa for the same reasons (or similar anyway) that you're leaving the UK. And I bet that there are still as many Ozzies leaving Oz for UK and SA! Its the same no matter where in the world you move to. Rather stay and make your country a better place - or not.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Chris Rea, a fellow country man of yours has something to say about this.
Texas.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Heard on the radio today that the average British citizen is recorded by video cameras on average of 300 times a day.

It sounds as if one can not move about without being watched. With all that 'security'.....do you actually feel any safer? What is it like being under such conditions?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ferretman2

From a personal point of view I dont feel any safer... working in central London there is a camera on you every step you make 100%. Every train, bus and street has one, every shop, office and public building has one, yet I feel no safer and crime is still the same if not worse. Whats that all about???

We need a HUGE change or Britain is done with....

[edit on 19-2-2008 by II HAL II]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We are starting to see the same thing here in the States because we are becoming a secular society as well.

What percentage of Brits do you think reject God?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Could you please supply some sort of statistical evidence that there is a proven correlation between the % of population with religious beliefs and the "decline" in British society, or is it just an opinion based on nothing but gut feeling or something else?

Edit to add:

I understood that the US has always been a secular country or have I misread The American Constitution?
Britain has been a secular country for centuries.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Freeborn]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join