It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Have Found Darwins Ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
British archaeologists believe they have uncovered the remains of the ship Charles Darwin used to sail across the world. Marine archaeologist Robert Prescott of Scotland's University of St. Andrews told London's Observer newspaper that he is "quietly confident" that the Beagle has been located. The ship's fate has been a mystery for more than a century. Using advanced ground-penetrating radar, archaeologists believe they've found the Beagle under more than three meters of mud in a river estuary near a long-abandoned dock in Essex, England. A radar image of the spot shows a vessel similar in size to the famous ship. The evidence suggests the bulk of the ship is intact and could be raised and restored. Scientists are hoping the hull will have some remnants of Darwin's historic journey across the world, during which he developed his theories of natural selection.

Darwin's theories were published in 1859 under the title On the Origin of Species. It was attacked by Christians, but eventually became accepted as one of the most important scientific theories in history.

Story link:
www.voanews.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Why are they worried about this now? Is it an attempt to give more publicity to Darwin and balance the scales in favour of Evolution once again?

If the stupid ship sank feet from the dock as this story says then why did it take so long to find it?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Good question but I dont have the answer. Glad we agree on Hubble though.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure i could go take questions from him in a month or two, i plan on making a visit to the university.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
whoopy do. an old boat.

no, actually, thats good. theres bin a lot of dispute about him, what he said/thought, who came first, etc. maybe this will help clear things up, or at least lessen the fog surrounding it all

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Amorymeltzer,

valid points. There may be interesting information on that craft. Let's hope there is.

Has anyone heard the rumour, theory that Darwin did not totally believe in Evolution? I came across that sometime ago, it was said that his beliefs were twisted by the scientific community to correlate with their desired views. Whether true of not I don't know.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Amorymeltzer,

valid points. There may be interesting information on that craft. Let's hope there is.

Has anyone heard the rumour, theory that Darwin did not totally believe in Evolution? I came across that sometime ago, it was said that his beliefs were twisted by the scientific community to correlate with their desired views. Whether true of not I don't know.

yeah, ive heard that. someone else (name!?) supposedly, or even definitely, came up with the theories on evolution and survival way before darwin, and it cud be that since darwin had the name, they made them his. ive even heard that it was that guy (or his associates) who sent darwin to the galapagos.

AF1

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I believe Darwin got a lot of his ideas from this guy

It is not the average person who questions two thousand years of dogma, but that is what Buffon did: 100 years before Darwin, Buffon, in his Historie Naturelle, a 44 volume encyclopedia describing everything known about the natural world, wrestled with the similarities of humans and apes and even talked about common ancestry of Man and apes. Although Buffon believed in organic change, he did not provide a coherent mechanism for such changes. He thought that the environment acted directly on organisms through what he called "organic particles". Buffon also published Les Epoques de la Nature (1788) where he openly suggested that the planet was much older than the 6,000 years proclaimed by the church, and discussed concepts very similar to Charles Lyell's "uniformitarianism" which were formulated 40 years later.

www.ucmp.berkeley.edu...

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Pity they found this one and nod the moder nnamesake.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
AF1,

great link and info.

Obviously Buffon was a very smart man. Although I think that both theories better describe reality as we know it in conjunction, I'm sure he was a radical in his day (Buffon).

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
AF1,

great link and info.

Obviously Buffon was a very smart man. Although I think that both theories better describe reality as we know it in conjunction, I'm sure he was a radical in his day (Buffon).

they all were, by definition. it took guts to challenge 1600+ years of tradition. especially a tradition with a big army behind it.

top topics

join