It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does going the pub alone make you a sad case?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Quick question for the masses here.

Do we (as a collective) feel that a man going drinking by himself is a bad thing?
I mean sometimes we all need the quiet and time to reflect.

What do we think?

And yes, I do it quite often, and I feel I'm a normal guy, even if I do have slightly lonerish tendencies.

:w:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I personally do not feel it does. Society in some places will tell you otherwise though. I mean where I am from in Australia people tend to go to pubs with friends or significant others. I rarely, if ever, have seen people at pubs or bars alone.
Here in Japan I see people drinking alone everywhere. It differs.

It's like going to a movie alone, there is nothing wrong with that at all IMO

I just don't like to see people drinking alone

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by more_serotonin_pls

Do I see it as a problem? Depends, but my first inclination is to say no it's not. I've done it alot myself. Going to the pub for a burger and a beer or two, watching whatever they have on the tube behind the bar, while surrounded by other people. Even if the comeraderie is merely perceived, it sure beats sitting home alone and drinking, watching the game in your scivvies with a great big foam finger on.
Now going out alone to get completely innebriated and sloppy is another story.
Dude, I personally think it's not a problem at all.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks.

Now I think I will do just that and people watch. To be honest, it gives me ideas for things to write about. I was just kinda thinking if people would be thinking along the lines of 'look at that saddo over there.'

Clearly, they aint.

Cheers, buddies.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Personally I head to Sedona Az and kick-it in the red rocks when I want alone time...but to each his own....when I was younger I was a party animal...don't get me wrong I don't think drinking alone makes you a party animal....we all have different ways of de-compressing!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yeah some people go to pubs/bars for that exact reason, to get some peace, from their wifes, life, kids, friends, job, cats, etc etc etc. Everyone needs some peace time, some people are lucky to get it at home, or other places, but sometimes people can't get that, thats why you go to the pub like that.

Other places are coffee places, I see a LOT of people do that there, they go there to relax.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
i see no problem what s so ever

but having said that it is ok for a man to go to the pub alone in this country , i live southern ireland!i personally would not go into a pub alone

yet travel up to northern ireland its fine for women to go to the pub alone .
again i personally wouldn't do it!

dont think they would go to a pub alone in a strange town or city, i dont know?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

No, no, it doesnt make you a sad case, it makes you a drunk, and god bless you for that, ha! I like going to bars by myself, not the rocking playing music loud, but the nice laid back relaxing bars. Have a couple glasses of beer and relax without the wife telling me to do this and that, and my kid running around screaming. Most of the time that is music to my ears, but sometimes it is nice to just relax, and this time of year it is too damn cold to do anything outside.

We have a couple nice quiet pubs in south bend, you know it is home of the fighting irish so they have to pretend we live in Ireland. But it is a nice atmosphere to get a couple pints, and just relax. I know people see you by yourself and think, "oh that poor man all alone", but sometimes it really is nice to just be left alone, not talk, just have quiet thoughts to yourself.

Your not a sad case, just someone ok to be by themselves from time to time, and imo there is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

oh eck!!

your one of them arent ya!!!

those fellas that avoid going home to face the music the wife has been listening to all fecking day!!!

i rest my case

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

not always avoiding it, just sometimes. Sometimes I need to get a little help from mr guiness before going home, otherwise the music just sounds like death metal shouting.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

its a man's world innit!!

at least you can get away with mr guinness for a while when it suit's ya!!

>>

NAH

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
nothing wrong with going to the pub on your own at all,

although where i am, you usually bump into someone you know.

and im not refering to the joke about....

i've got lots of friends in my local..... there's Stella, jim... beam,

johnny... walker etc :w:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Hell NO!!
I get out for a couple of quiet ones at least once a week i'd be a deadset basket case otherwise.
I think you meet more people when your on your own, i generally wouldnt get in too many conversations with strangers when out with a group of friends but when your on your own it's sort of an invitation for people to come up to you and start conversations. I like it.
In fact i am waiting for the missus to get home in an hour so i can get myself down to the boozer for a couple of hours.

:w:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well, i have a little secret. I waitressed at a local watering hole in Cape Cod for 6 months and i loved it.
People would come in with their boats in tow (outside) he he he and stop in for a beer and pizza and i have to say i was the highest paid person there!!!!!

Woooohoooo! I only left because i moved out of that area, otherwise i'd still be pouring that beer to those guys and making small talk, giving super service and raking in the $$$$.

No, you're not strange going in for a cold one- its when you dont leave and we have to close around you that you make an ass out of yourself.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
its when you dont leave and we have to close around you that you make an ass out of yourself.

Ohh, i thought that was cool. My bad.
I love being the last to leave.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Mojo,

You're special, babe!!!!!

top topics

join