It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ilyushin IL76 nearly runs out of runway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

oh my golly gosh

i do believe that is somewhat of an `interesting` take off - i bet someone somewhere was willing that thing into the air!

fully loaded Il-76 needing alot of runway

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That was one heck of a takeoff! That pilot knew his bird real good to pull that one off.

It didn’t look like a full length airstrip though. By the looks of it and by the accent of ATCs, it’s a shorty Australian airstrip.

IL-76s t-o run is 850 meters dry, and 2160 meters with the full load of 90,000kg (418,875lb).

Here’s a look at other IL-76 takeoffs, and notice how much longer the airstrips are while takeoff time is pretty much the same:

How about a landing like this;

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
jayzus chroist!

Canberra runway 17. 8800 feet long, according to one source, 10700 feet according to another. 1900 feet high, and judging by the colour of the ground, probably a very hot day too.

[edit on 17/2/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
"I'm running out of film, I don't know if got enough left to film the crash"

@ Aussie humour

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Canberra runway 17. 8800 feet long, according to one source, 10700 feet according to another.

That was Canbera?

I though this is Canbera;

www.mutleyshangar.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

www.schofields-flying-club.com.au..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I don’t know, but the runway on the video did not have the wite patches on the strip like Candera does.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
reply to post by C0bzz

Canberra runway 17. 8800 feet long, according to one source, 10700 feet according to another.

That was Canbera?

I though this is Canbera;

www.mutleyshangar.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

www.schofields-flying-club.com.au..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I don’t know, but the runway on the video did not have the wite patches on the strip like Candera does.

That is Canbera, I think that video was taken from the control tower at RAAF Fairbarn.

Also Runway: 17/35 3,273ft 10,738 meters
Runway: 12/30 1,679ft 5,509meters

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I don't have any video at the moment, but i'll try and get some...

I work on an industrial estate that is part of an airport (BOH) and we often have the airport perimeter road closed to allow things to come in low n slow and take off long, the strip finishes about 100 yards short of the road. its officially 7450 (2270m) long, although there is a turning pad at the ends that occasionally planes get reversed into on the tug to gain them about an extra 40 feet! The worst offenders are the tankers we get coming to visit FR aviation and one old 737 from european which just about hauls itself into the air!

we have the amir of quatars 747 on site here as well and that seems to be just fine with the runway length, although its never full!

the funniest one i've seen was a pair of hercules transports, one from the dutch airforce and one from the raf, the dutch one touched down first and took almost all the runway to stop, the one from the raf came in very nose up, very very slow and very low, literallythe under carriage missed the fence and 'end of strip' lights by no more than 20' and was on the ground as the tail cleared the fence and was stopped so quick it used the taxi way normally for small private craft... it was a bit scary, but very impressive

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Definitely Canberra, taken from the Fairbairn side of the runway, Mount Ainslie in the background along with Campbell Park Offices and the Defence Academy, Majura Road running parallel to the runway.

And where's the problem? Runway is there to be used, isn't it?
Great vid. Runway was recently extended to accomodate larger aircraft (such as when the US Pres visited). Was kind of embarrassing that our national capital's runway couldn't hack 747s...

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Willard856

I rather thought Willard that the entire reason for Canberra having a shorter runway was to keep politicians in, rather than letting them out?

Afterall was that not the reason for putting Canberra on an old sheep farm in the middle of knowhere in the first place?

LEE.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Definitely Canberra, Australia. Footage was taken before 17 was extended in 2006. That's obvious from the military Chinooks in the foreground - they had been moved by then - and the absence of the shopping complex and office buildings on the far side of the runway. So that means the runway this bird was using was only 2,680-ish metres long. That's a little short for a fully laden Il-76. I'd love to have been driving along that road at the end of the runway when this happened
edit on 31-5-2011 by CaptainSticksy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join