It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lieberman and John McCain Advocating Torture?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The US Senate voted Thursday to effectively prohibit the CIA from using water boarding and other harsh interrogation techniques collectively known as torture. Two of the folks who voted against such a ban?
Liberman and McCain...

Source
Lieberman defends vote against ban on CIA waterboarding
By ANDREW MIGA | Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON - Sen. Joe Lieberman on Thursday defended his Senate vote against a ban on CIA waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques, saying such methods could be justified, but only in rare cases to save American lives.

"We have to allow the president to allow the toughest measures to be used when there is an imminent threat to our country," Lieberman said in a conference call with reporters.

Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with Senate Democrats, cited a "nightmare scenario" where a detainee knows about a nuclear weapon hidden somewhere in a major American city that is about to be detonated...

The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit the CIA from using waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods on terror suspects, despite President Bush's threat to veto any measure that limits the agency's interrogation techniques...

Like Lieberman, Republican presidential contender Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, voted against the measure.

Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly, McCain, of all people, having been tortured himself, votes against a ban against torture.
We can detain people without trial, representation, or even charging them formally for an indeterminate amount of time, we can preemptively nuke countries now, we can fight wars on foriegn shores over the pretexts of literally a noun, we have sacrificed vast amounts of personal freedoms and privacy in the name of security, jesus, do we really need Senators running around fighting for the rights of the State to torture people?
Call the SPCA and tell them you're waterboarding your cat because he hacked in your carpet and when they come to kick your door in and put you on the six o'clock news, you will see what a difference there is in how we treat other people.
"We've got to torture this guy like medevial times to find out if he's a threat to us!"
Yeah ok, but eventually somebody needs to ask the important questions like, "Why is this guy so pissed off in the first place George?"
The answers to that question lie in an impeachment process that we will never see.
Torture? This is 2008 A.D. ...

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If it's going to save AMERICIAN LIVES???????????
Torture the HEll out of the BASTARDS

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
No McCain does NOT support the freaking torture, educate yourself and read this to see his exact stance on such subjects.

I oppose

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I read your link, but it begs the question, why did he vote against a measure that would ban it then Advisor?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

So what's the name of this bill? Have you read it?

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

He's for torture...

He knows its effective so why would he not want it to be used?

Its pretty messed up as he was tortured in Vietnam, but I guess he can account for its effectiveness.

God knows how many secrets the man gave up to the VC.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
It is all there in the link if you would just read it, I'll post the external bits which are key, but there is much more to it if you would read it all. He explains his stance completely.

Not saying I agree with his stance or any one elses but my own. Which is, these non uniformed participants of war, should not be given the Geneva Code Protections, which is for Uniformed soldiers. They are lucky enough any one grants them the human and civil rights they have. Why, because they do not offer such in return, they would rather suicide bomb or chop heads off. Touchy subject yes, because this political topic in one that deals with a dabate about the War. And I will leave it at that.

U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) today submitted for the Congressional Record the following statement ;

Mr. President, I oppose passage of the Intelligence Authorization Conference Report in its current form.

H.R. 2082, the Intelligence Authorization bill:

new topics

top topics

join