It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I made the mistake of watching TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I turned on the crap-box to actually watch TV (not use it as a xbox enhancement tool). I turned to MSNBC (O'rielly was on Fox and Nancy Grace was on CNN). I started watching Keith Olbermann go on a complete rant. He lost control of himself. I even agreed with some of what he said, but he came off as crazy. That dude is out of control. I actually turned to The O'Reilly Factor just to make Keith stop.

That's right.... I can tolerate Billy O'Reilly over Keith Olbermann.

I know the media itself is a crap stain, but I do not think the 3 major cable media channels could do any worse than their 8 o'clock slot.

I can name dozens of people on ATS more worthy of getting their own show than Mr. Olbermann.

Has anyone else out their experienced this time-slot of doom?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
im from Oz, so i cant comment on the 8 oclock slot.

but i do know late night infomercials like ones selling "best of" music collections, the latest fat burning fad, or one of them "dial this number now!" game shows @ a cost of $5.50 p/min, raving religious fanatics at 2am are extremely annoying.

its bad enough not being able to sleep, but that craps just gives me, errm.. i guess the polite thing would be to say it gives me a dose of late night irritable bowel syndrome

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I watched Olberman once, and that was plenty enough for me. I cant remember what crap he was spewing, but it made me angry and confused all at the same time. How can a person so far off mental stability get a show on TV? I dislike Oreily quite a bit also, his show can be ok when he isnt shouting his guests down in "debate".

I really try to stay away from the mainstream media shows like Oreily, and olberman, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do however watch Glenn beck every now and again, he is ok. I like Lou Dobbs also, but mostly like you I just use my TV for an X box enhancement, and also to watch Lost and Jericho. I get my news on the internet where I can cross check what I read, and make my own decisions without some over paid bafoon telling me what I should believe.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
well that was your problem. you tuned it to a MSM channel. i tried that the other day too and i think i'm actually dumber for it.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm sure glad I stopped watchin TV about 8 years ago.

Just think of all the money I saved on cable.

TV

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
yah i dont usualy watch tv (discovery, history, nova are exeptions) everytime someone else turns it on i have to find some way to dround out the stupid. though it doent work cause every one else is already infected... RUN ITS THE INVASION OF THE ZOMBIES SPAWNED BY TV! AHHHHHHHHH!

^
TV

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I can't stand to watch the MSM, it makes me pretty angry especially when they talk about ALL the candidates except Ron Paul.
:bnghd:

My suggestion is to disconnect your cable. I can't do that and my family loves TV, but I won't get cable when I move out.

-Will

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

just thought i would join you in trashing television...

i havent watched the idiot box in almost year except the third quarter of the superbowl.

there is not anything on worth watching in my opinion and i hate commercials.

i really started questioning what i was watching when the Red Hott Chili Peppers came out with the song" throw away your television"

here is a good example of mind stimulating television..

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-2-2008 by easynow]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I do however watch Glenn beck every now and again, he is ok.

Glenn Beck, though I disagree with his politics, is funny. He is a funny person. I used to listen to him on the radio when I was driving. One of the funniest bits he had was an energetic, fast-paced version of King Kong when the movie came out. I have never been able to forget that.

I don't watch his show because CNN seems to have turned him into something I don't like as much as his radio program. When he announced his TV show I was hoping it would be like an antithesis to The Daily Show, but in the 'headline news' block its kind of lame.

Comedy Central should pick up Mr. Beck.

Here's a ridiculous late night infomercial I just saw..... Kinoki Foot Pads. Just look them up... you'll pee yourself in laughter.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I love Keith Olbermann! I actually wish he would come to the midwest, sweep me off my feet and marry me. In all seriousness, his rants are usually about Mr. Bush and they can all be found on youtube of coarse. Nothing gets under his skin more than W. By the way, he got his own tv show because he is/was a very successful sports caster. I know, I know the jump from sports to news, but if you watch his show it's got entertainment segments, funny internet video segments, so on and so forth. Not just news and rants. It's entertainment people!

By the way HI ALL!!!! First time post here, I can usually be found at ATS.

Later, peace, chicken grease,

Cowgirl

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I try to watch as little TV as possible. In fact, before I met my wife I didn't even have cable. I just didn't watch TV. I had a DVD player and would just watch movies.

My wife, on the other hand, is a TV junkie and she loves ALL the reality shows. Now it's American Idle and Big Brother....arggh....Dancing with The Stars ened not too long ago....

I enjoy spending time with my wife, so I do watch these time wasters at times. I have to admit I did get into the last season if Big Brother. Evil Dick was pretty cool (and won). I was a bit disappointed at how truly nasty he could be at times...especially one show where he called this woman on the show the C word over and over again. That is by far my least favoit word in the English language. Any man that calls a woman that, needs to be taught some manners...

But alas......I am rambling.........

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Excitable, the C word has already been used in this season of Big Brother. The gay guy Joshua was really letting Amanda have it, the whole house ganged up on her, made Evil Dick look nice. Good to see someone else here likes that show!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
TV freaks me out. Whenever someone is watching TV in my house, I sit opposite to them and watch them watch TV. This usually shortens the experience.
I interrupted my little brother watching TV (he claims to hate it too) and his only excuse was, "its hypnotizing!" yikes.
its just so ironic that its actually called, television programming, makes you wonder if they mean the television or the people watching it. perhaps its some infected symbiosis

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I love Keith Olbermann! I actually wish he would come to the midwest, sweep me off my feet and marry me. In all seriousness, his rants are usually about Mr. Bush and they can all be found on youtube of coarse. Nothing gets under his skin more than W. By the way, he got his own tv show because he is/was a very successful sports caster. I know, I know the jump from sports to news, but if you watch his show it's got entertainment segments, funny internet video segments, so on and so forth. Not just news and rants. It's entertainment people!

By the way HI ALL!!!! First time post here, I can usually be found at ATS.

WELCOME TO ATS!!!

The good qualities of Olbermann's show that you stated can be said about O'Reilly's show. O'Reilly was a sports anchor before he was a news guy himself... in the seventh circle of hell.

Olbermann's program is an unfunny version of The Daily Show.

I have another problem with american tv. LINK HERE, NUFF SAID. The saddest part is that America is doing this to itself. :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Its all about marketshare, and that's exactly the problem as well.

Given that most people don't want to spend that much time thinking after a work day, and that 50% of population are of IQ 100 or below, greater majority of people don't want programs that force them to think.

So, you are left with a minority who does want that and also wants tv-series and movies that raise thoughts about whatever subjects.

This means several things.

1. Most programs are produced for people who don't want to think for themselves.
2. Almost all commercials target those programs at claim 1.
3. Most money comes from programs in claim 1.
4. Least money comes from programs that make you think.
5. It is not profitable enough to produce programs that make you think.

Because corporations and shareholders target at marketshares which are most profitable, we have no hope of getting those programs that make us think (yes, tv programs can be created to do just that, and there are some very few programs that are full of neutral, objective information).

We are screwd, forever.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
Here's a ridiculous late night infomercial I just saw..... Kinoki Foot Pads. Just look them up... you'll pee yourself in laughter.

Excellent catch.

Don't people realize that those people just have DIRTY FEET?!!!!!! If I used one of those pads on my foot it would be charcoal black when I peel it off, and it would have nothing to do with the periodic table of elements.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join