It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA: Washington D.C. Radar Sighted UFO's July 26-27, 1952

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Washington_DC_Jul_26-27_1952.pdf
Washington D.C. Radar Sighted UFO July 26-27, 1952
Letters, Memorandum, Air Intelligence Reports, Newspaper Articles and Witness sightings of the July 20, 26-27 UFO Sightings over Washington D.C.

Document date: 1952-08-29
Department: USAF
Author: Maj. John E. Libbert, Ted Hieatt
Document type: Memorandum ,Letters, Newspaper, Magazine
pages: 107

Archivist's Notes: Very interesting collection of documents that shows how the USAF came to their conclusion and public stance of explaining the Washington D.C. UFO radar sightings as anomalous weather phenomenon.

[edit on 2/14/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
PDF page 5 and 6 Washington Newspaper reporter called Capt E.J. Ruppelt to obtain a statement for the press. The caller was advised that Capt Ruppelt could make no statement for the press.

PDF page 7 Major Fournet was going to contact the command post so he could request operational control over the investigation:

PDF page 10 A new agency ( Topical Intelligence Division / Current intelligence Branch) is handling the unidentified object reports - Major Fournet is no longer the contact man for this…

PDF page 12

Pdf page 13 Memo dated 17 April 1960 stated that the Air Force conclusion on the 1952 Wash sightings was “ Anomalous radar returns caused by temperature inversions”

PDF page 14 to 73 Witness reports – Traffic Control radar operator reports – Newspaper articles

The overview and conclusion – PDF page 73
On 19/20 and 26/27 July 1952, a great amount of excitement vas generated in the Nation's Capitol due to sightings of unidentified flying objects, both visually and on radar. Most of the sightings occurred between midnight and dawn. The objects were picked up by more then one radar in the Washington area and were reported to have speeds on the order of 7500 miles per hour.
Jet intercepts were unsuccessfully attempted, FTD (Foreign Technology Division) reports contained unconfirmed information that the President of the United States had taken an active interest in the sightings.
Visual sightings were reported by both ground and airborne witnesses.
The descriptions by the witnesses were generally the same. The objects
were described changing from orange to green and back to red.
The numbers varied from one to six, with no apparent set formation.
Three objects were reported to have left trails. The motions the objects
for the most part appeared erratic. In some instances the object. were
described as meteors.
~
Unfortunately the only day for which weather data was obtained was for
26 July 1952. The data on this day showed that there was a temperature inversion at 800feet and at 4000feet.
It was concluded that 'the radar sightings were probably due
to anomalous propagation; sometimes referred to as "bending”, "ducting,"
."guided propagation, "tapping" or "super refraction" of the radar
electromagnetic wave; the inversion and moisture conditions being responsible for the unusual functioning of the radar. The "ducting," "tapping, etc. being responsible for detecting ground targets which are not normally seen. Bending of the radar waves, so that ground targets were not giving "solid" returns for every antenna sweep, thereby
caused the misinterpretation that what were probably stationary ground
targets where in motion.
As to the visual sightings, these individuals were probably experiencing
the same effect as the radar (mirage) and were seeing objects normally
beyond their range of vision. There is also the probability to inconsistencies
in the layers to air of different temperature causing lenses of air which resulted in distortion of some of the lower stars. It is significant to note that all instruments where it could be determined the altitude of the airborne witnesses was approximately 4000 feet, the level of the higher inversion layer. Sightings of meteors coupled with the normal excitement of the witnesses also contributed to this sighting.

The FTD conclusion is that the radar and visual sightings on the 26 July 1952 were due to the mirage effects created by a double inversion. It is also concluded that since the circumstances of 19/20 and 27 July 1952 parallel to those of the 26 July 1952, that similar conditions existed and that the sightings were due to the same cause.

Archivist note:
I’m sure, many would have questioned the explanation from the FTD.
The conclusion is absurd, on the other hand if that was true, we would have a lot of mirage conditions.
No need to read between the lines to find anything suspicious about the handling of this incident.

PDF page 91: objects where observed by pilots – the object is traveling at tremendous rate of speed.

PDF page 92 to 107: Witness reports

Maybe the drawing on PDF page 80 will shed some light on this

[edit on 14-2-2008 by frozen_snowman]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
One of the most incredible UFO sightings in history, the incident known as the “Washington Flap” or I have also heard it called the “Washington Merry-go-Round”, occurred on two weekends in July 1952. Several objects were first picked up on radar and later were seen visually by both pilots in aircraft and from the ground. The radar operators reported between 7 and 10 objects were on the radar and were seen for several hours between midnight and dawn on several nights. The Air Force tried to intercept the objects on the second weekend, but could not get close enough to see what they were.

The incident was reported in the newspapers, which some of the articles are included in this document. There are also several letters from people inquiring about the incident with the response from the Air Force insisting that the radar returns were due to a temperature inversion, which was probably also what caused the visual sightings of mirages and possibly stars. This has been the official explanation of the event ever since.

The document contains several copies of the same reports from the radar operators and pilots. Some of the pages are illegible, but they are of duplicate reports that can be easily read.

Originally posted by frozen_snowman
Maybe the drawing on PDF page 80 will shed some light on this

Yeah, what’s up with that drawing? It seems kind of strange to see that in the middle of a document with out any explanation.

Related FOIA Document:
FOIA: Washington D.C. Multiple Sightings July 23, 1952

Related ATS thread:
UFOs over DC in 1952, Jets Scrambled

Related Wikipedia Article:
1952 Washington D.C. UFO incident

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
They don't seem to say much about the F-94's which were scrambled other than "they were unsuccessful." Coincidence? I skimmed several of the pages so I might have missed something. To me the jets scrambled part is the most damaging evidence, because of the display of intelligent behavior. They "objects" disappeared when the F-94's arrived but later reappeared when the jets left the area for fuel.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What is even more fascinating, if you can "one up" this incident is the fact that 50 yrs later, a UFO landed on the steps of the Capital. It was filmed by a reputable photographer. When I saw the photos, & read the reports, I went into a state of "august & jaw dropping." I found it all in Clifford Stone's maternal, & it was written all rather matter of factly. Unfortunately I can not find the link in the thread to the actual photos. They were totally mind bending shots!

Anyone who can find the photos of the incident in 2002 please respond.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DREAMING MAN

Are you talking about this picture?

Color images captured on high speed film by a professional photographer show conclusively that during the month of July 2002, on the 4th and the 16th, there were a number of UFOs flying over the restricted air space of the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. And as incredible as it sounds, they provide evidence that on July 16, UFOs encircled and landed on the Capitol Building roof and the surrounding park area late that night!
source

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Great! Thanks for digging the pics up. Those were 2 each of several taken by a professional photographer near midnight.

The ones that I was thinking of followed these shots. They clearly showed the orb of color setting down on the lawn of the capitol near the steps.

Another very strange one near that time produced what was called a portal if you will. It looked as if the sky was ripped open momentarily.

Would you have access to more photos?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Wow! That was it. I found the particular one that I was searching for at the very bottom. They really are incredible & timeless.

On the lighter side, I asked myself..."Who in the heck would travel 3/4 of the way across the infinite universe, just to go into the capitol late at night? 'Must of really had to go for a serious pit stop. lol.

Thanks again Scramjet.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

No problem.

I doubt they came 3/4 of the way across the universe. Time isn't an issue to them. I don't think they grow old like we do.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

"Time isn't an issue to them. I don't think they grow old like we do."
Scramjet

I must concede, & respectfully agree with you. It was rather unfortunate that these photos & reports were not blasted all over the news. Makes you wonder if people have simply become anethesized to news reports. Perhaps there is nothing that can shock the public any more. The numbing of a Nation, no less.

I can only wish this monumental event did not go unheeded by whomever was present in the Capitol. One can always hope.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Very high level meetings and conversations involving President Truman took place as a result of this incident.

This from Capt. Edward Ruppelt in 1955: "About 10:00 A.M. the President's air aide, Brigadier General Landry, called intelligence at President Truman's request to find out what was going on. Somehow I got the call. I told General Landry that the radar target could have been caused by weather but that we had no proof."

www.nicap.org...

Landry was, in fact, Truman's personal red tape cutter with the Air Force and briefed Truman on UFOs on a regular basis starting in 1948. From Landry in 1974. "I was directed to report quarterly to the President after consulting with Central Intelligence people, as to whether or not any UFO incidents received by them could be considered as having any strategic threatening implications at all.

The report was to be made orally by me unless it was considered by intelligence to be so serious or alarming as to warrant a more detailed report in writing. During the four and one-half years in office there, all reports were made orally. Nothing of substance considered credible or threatening to the country was ever received from intelligence."

www.trumanlibrary.org...

Finally, on September 3 1952, a meeting was held and documented on the President's Calender:

12:30 pm (The President met in Cabinet Room, with group from Air Force,
the Rand Corporation and National Security Resources Board,
for briefing on defense of Capital. LOWER WEST DOOR, HALF
HOUR OFF THE RECORD

DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
FOWLER, Colonel John G.
GARLAND, General William
GRAHAM, Colonel Gordon
HUNNER, Major Paul
McCLELLAND, John C.

RAND CORPORATION
HENDERSON, Lawrence J.
NILES, Walter W.

NATIONAL SECURITY RESOURCES BOARD
GORRIE, Honorable Jack
LANCASTER, Presley, Jr.
ASH, Russell
LANDRY, Brig. Gen. Robert B., Air Force Aid to the President
Dennison, Rear Adm. Robert L., Naval Aid to the President

www.trumanlibrary.org...

[edit on 31-5-2009 by fls13]

[edit on 31-5-2009 by fls13]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Great thread with some mighty fine info.

Heres what the Senior Air Traffic Controller had to say about the incident:

"The movements were completely radical compared to those of ordinary aircraft..
For six hours there were at least ten unidentifiable objects moving above Washington. They were not ordinary aircraft...I can safely deduce that they performed gyrations which no known aircraft could perform".

Senior Air Traffic Controller Harry G. Barnes

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DREAMING MAN

Wow! That was it. I found the particular one that I was searching for at the very bottom. They really are incredible & timeless.

On the lighter side, I asked myself..."Who in the heck would travel 3/4 of the way across the infinite universe, just to go into the capitol late at night? 'Must of really had to go for a serious pit stop. lol.

Thanks again Scramjet.

I would. Who wouldn't?

In case it hasn't been discussed, there are some serious flaws in the 'system'.

Last week I made remarks about why would aliens even need a ship. Upon review of the '52 invasion...I stand corrected.

They would appear in ships for the purposes of a purge of evil, and a show of force.

We have cluttered up the skies, saturated them, in fact, with weapons of incalculable evil and cunning.

In no way shape or form do aliens share information with power conglomerates of man. They are here to mock them, and to administer a dose of their own medicine.

I am reminded of 'The day the Earth Stood Still', with one caveat. That caution is this: the ptb did hijack the theme with the 'artificial intelligence' clause by which a force of robots are deemed worthy of forming a police state on the visitor's planet. That was the clause that enabled the movie to go in to production, imo.

Yes they can, and not deservedly so.

edit on 12-9-2010 by davidmann because: bonus thoughts began to flower

top topics

join