It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Has Been A Shooting At My College Today!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Dang, that is so close to home.

I can't imagine how you felt up in the dorm room waiting for your folks to come get you.

Everything changes when something hits so close to home.

It seems so much more real when you know someone or talk to someone who has experienced such an atrocity.

I am so glad you are safe! Thanks for giving us the personal account.

I am sorry your personal world has been touched in this way.

I sure wish the attention for fixing things would be placed on our society here at home instead of other countries.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yeah, it is 4 dead so far along with the gunman.
My prayers are with the victims and their families.
My sister and her family live out near Dekalb, she used to work at the university and her husband is a paramedic who works in that area. I don't know if he is or isn't helping out with things. Also, I live in the Quad City area to the west of Dekalb so my local news station is giving live updates since they have a couple ground crews out there now from what I last heard.

Something needs to be done about all of these shootings and attempted shootings that have suddenly spiked up in the last year. I think there has been about 5 or so covered lately.
VT
2 attacks on a couple of Christian churches
Omaha Mall
Another attack somewhere in a Chicago suburb
A shooting against an Amish school
And now this at NIU
Make that 7 actually.

I apologize for going off topic, but I felt that needed to be brought forward.

Keep yourself safe DigitalGrl.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
Something needs to be done about all of these shootings and attempted shootings that have suddenly spiked up in the last year. I think there has been about 5 or so covered lately.
VT
2 attacks on a couple of Christian churches
Omaha Mall
Another attack somewhere in a Chicago suburb
A shooting against an Amish school
And now this at NIU
Make that 7 actually.

There have been at least three in the past 24 hours.

California
Memphis
and Illinois

In ATL some high school students were shot at a bus stop in front of their school.

Within the week there was also the shooting in Missouri and another in Baton Rouge. Time to put on the tin hat, people!

[edit on 14/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Thats crazy! im glad your ok. and i will surely pray for all the wounded and killed. but you musnt lose hope on life. i can bet you there are more good people then crazy people.

Shows you should always be ready. i was kinda thinking today something bad might happen. i was trying to be more alert then usual but luckily nothing like that happened. I'm very sorry for you.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Keep in mind that the ones I posted are mainly the ones I have heard about on m.s.m. sites and tv. Also, I have started a thread to post as much information and web articles about the recent spike in public massacres and shootings. I will come back to you with the link.

Edit: Here is the promised link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by spec_ops_wannabe]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
DG, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad to hear that you are OK.

Obs out

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to DigitalGrl

I'm glad to hear you're allright, DigitalGrl.

all we can offer is our sadness to the unfortunates who got caught in the melee

but it stands to reason to a cogniziant mind that todays world is not
an extension of the 'Mayberry RFD' fantasy world of yesterdays...

snipers on the freeways, and tragedies @ Columbine then Virginia Tech and now your college campus...
we need to understand that these concentrations of peoples are fertile ground for evil people to spring something awful on the unsuspecting...
like the Texas Tower sniper; Walt Whitman, back before most of youse were born

we don't need to live our lives in a state of intimidation...

but we need to conduct our actions with the possibility that a deranged psychopath is in our midst, willing & able to spring mahem and murder
on the rest of us... at any given moment

ciao

[edit on 14-2-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hi All,

(sigh) This truly hurts my heart and my spirit, as I think about the people, family, and friends who were affected by this incident. With this strange surge in shootings this week, it makes you wonder what is going on and why.

In a recent news article on this shooting the following was reported:

University Police Chief Donald Grady said the gunman was not a student at the school. "It appears he may have been a student somewhere else," he said, adding that police had no apparent motive.

Source

The person wasn't even a student at the school. Besides the obvious, what bothers me is that situations like this often prompt heavy handed "solutions". Most people will not initially question those "solutions", until the solution itself turns out to be a problem.

DG, my thoughts are with you. I am glad that you were not one of the students who was hurt, although my thoughts are with both them and their families.

[edit on 2/14/2008 by sylvrshadow]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Prayers to you and your fellow students..

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Hey, I just posted in this thread a couple of days ago. It's relevant to the discussion.

Sudden Surge in Public Shootings

I think my comments in this last post sum it up best.

It's a good thread on the subject.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
something has to be done to stop violence amoungst the youth of today,in the uk theres a lot of stabbings and beatings.i think the reasons why are complicated.i will suggest a few

1.the youth of today dont know how to deal with the complex emotions they feel,therefore they use anger and rage as a method of dealing with those emotions and that rage leads to a proness for violent outbursts.
2.violence has been glamorised though various channels therefore impressionable or desperate youths may see violence as a method of empowerment.
3.petty violence such as bullying and berating upon individuals can push already vunerable youths over the edge so to speak,i see the protection of vunerable youths from such actions as vital,schools family whoever must take it seriously,even to the point of charging those who pushed someone over the edge with crimes.
4.humans have an inbuilt drive for violence,it is often supressed yet those still young have not yet mastered how to supress/process it properly,perhaps this is an important lesson we could teach our children from an early age-how to channel and express and process anger and thus violence appropraitely.
5.the gun/knife itself-they have powerful connotations,an object of malice and wrath,glamorised and easily available.to someone whos desperate or who seeks power such an object can give a sense of fulfilment and security.obviously using such an object in an act of violence is another matter,but as previously stated actions of violence are glorified to the extreme...rambo's famous killing sprees,arnie at his most brutal,gang culture and so on.

thats enough for now.

let love bind us all!.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I just heard about this and they reported that five have died from the shooting on CNN. Truly unbelievable!! I hope that I am mistaken. They still show four on the website. I am at a loss for words for the victims and their families except that our thoughts will be with you.

Take care, DigitalGrl.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are also with you DG. I`m terribly sorry for your pain in this matter as well as the pain and suffering of all of those enrolled and working at your university. To the families and friends of those who have been injured and killed, my prayers go out to you all.
Let us also pray and work for an end to the absolute madness within the world. When it develops into such a vile force that is projected outward towards the innocent in a setting supposed to be of the safest, especially where parents want to trust that their children are in good hands, there are no words to describe it.

I pray and hope for a speedy recovery to all of those affected both physically and emotionally.
May God keep you safe DG.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I hate to hear about mass shootings, but I'm always relieved when
hearing that the gunman was killed, or committed suicide. Trials
like the one for Timothy McVeigh consume too much airtime. It's
just the kind of attention that murderers and other law breakers
enjoy.

The Bible says that crimes will be increasing in intensity and
frequency. There's nothing that can be done to stop this trend.
We can only hope that each of us will live life to its fullest in case
we're next in someone's cross hairs. -cwm

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
All these shootings are coming at a perfect time with the upcoming hand gun case going to the supreme court.

I will also bet that this latest shooting is by a person who was off meds recently or on some kind of uptake inhibitor. These acts of violence are directly related to these prescription meds.

I hope you recover ok but in this desensitized environment we live in some people probably thought it was cool. Its a sick world we live in and when things like this happen in a row i smell a rat call me conspiracy nut but whether its through the act itself or the spin afterwards these incidents are always used to push police state legislation.

Probably get cameras in the bathroom and thumb scanners at each entrance and for sure gun legislation. We are doomed when we give up freedoms whenever there is violence.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DigitalGrl

WTF, sorry... but .. I'm not in the greatest mood, kinda depressed and blah... but where do these people get the idea of shooting others? or harming? like sure you can get angry and frustrated with your life, this world is going down-hill fast.... but going out and killing people or harming yourself is just pointless; that means Bush too, or anyone involved in religious fighting or fighting for profits. The only legitimate fight is the struggle for true Freedom, which is nameless because if you can name it, it can be manipulated and changed and it is not to be fought physically or with weapons or projectiles.. but with words, ideas and thoughts.
I truly hope you are okay, school has become an unsafe place and it's truly saddening, multiplying stresses on top of stress, having the money to survive and go to school, actually learning and finding yourself when there are so many bad jobs and poor wages, this society is backwards.. no wonder we wait so long for a doctor.. they have to pay out the butt to get educated and it takes forever.
When will the madness end?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Posted in wrong thread.

[edit on 14-2-2008 by Harvestfreak]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The MO of the killer... sounds familiar. Wore all black, armed to the teeth, randomly shoots and kills. This is even stranger, as it appears to be some random person from off campus.... just some random guy, mentally encouraged to go commit violence in a public area to stop the voices?
Loner? Fame seeker? Satan worshipper? All of the things we've heard before in killings similar to this.

Tinley Park 5 dead, shooter kills himself. NIU, 5 dead, shooter kills himself.

Suicide shooters?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
They had the president of the college on CNN and reported that six people were killed in the shooting including the gunman. There were 22 casualties in all, including the deceased. What a shame.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
holy crap. 22 dead in all???

Whoa my god, this # is getting bad dude.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join