It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual Picture of Hell

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon365

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. .

¨perish¨ doesnt mean eternal torment lol

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i have to say, i am REALLY glad that there are others who dont believe in hellfire also... with all the threads about how evil god is was getting me worried

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Very impressive post. I rarely see a christian practicing his God-given ability to question things and find answers.

Great stuff.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here's a quote that could add to the study a bit, just to provoke some thought.

Isaiah 66:22-24
22For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

23And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

24And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

I'm sure there are many in prison who would love to come back and argue the existence of the place. Just like Abraham told that rich man. If somebody doesn't have an ear to hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will a man coming back from the dead persuade them.

...and a debate won't either, so I've been taught.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroDignity

Thanks for your post. This was one of my first threads at ATS, and I came to about the same conclusions you have. A second death not eternal torment. Welcome to ATS.

reply to post by miriam0566

Punishment is meant to instruct, right? So it really doesn't make sense for eternity does it?

reply to post by Skyfloating

Thanks! This was my first big thread... I learned a lot from it too.

reply to post by WiseSheep

Notice it says carcasses in that verse which are dead bodies. Clearly niot everyone gets the gift of eternal life. So the alternative must be.... not eternal.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

no i was simply pointing out to him that the word perish was used in the scripture he quoted, which sorta went against what he was saying

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

CS Lewis described hell in a similar fashion to this world. But the inhabitants do not know/refuse to believe that they are dead.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Evidently Hell is in Norway.

According to this site Hell is a small and peaceful community and a local railway station across the river from Trondheim Airport, Værnes.

Here are some pictures from hell:

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
I have been to Israel and there is a location called the Gates of Hell (pictured on link). Jesus also refered to the Gates of Hell:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18)

i257.photobucket.com...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by jdposey]

The English language actually lacks a word for Hades or She'ol. It is a common mistake to (mis-)translate Hades or She'ol into Hell. Hell is Gehenna the fiery Lake of Fire that will show up in the endtime judgement where the unforgiven sinners are cast to be destroyed with sulphur. The mistranslation of Hades/She'ol into Hell has it's roots in church dogma and books like Milton's Paradise Lost and Dante's Divine Comedy. Hell is a Christian concept. Most Jews don't believe in Hell.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
Evidently Hell is in Norway.

Indeed, and the word Hell is from Norse Hel. A goddess of the afterlife who governed Helheim, a fiery place where the cowards and unhealable were sent uppon death.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
BW, I don't know.
I'm pretty sure that there is a place of punishment to one who does not except Yeshua, He did say that it's so bad that you pluck out your eye or cut off your hand because it makes you sin and that sin will cause you to go there. I don't think taking the trash out was that bad lol.
Here's what I know, there was once a place called sheol, this is what I believe is the space where Abraham's Bossom and the lake of fire exist. Yeshua gave a parable about a rich dude and a poor dude, the poor dude went to Abraham's Bossom, the rich dude went to the lake of fire, and or Hades and there was a great gulf or gap between them that nobody could pass. Well if you look in The Book of Enoch, there is this same place (I don't think it's in the part where Enoch travels to the center of the earth though), a place where some angels are bound up for 70 generations (which is about 7,000 years "70x100=7,000") and some souls are being tortured in a lake of fire. Also hell is a place of wailing and nashing of teeth, so I think it would be a torturous place. Gehenna is a trash valley, this much is true, sheol is not hell, sorta, but when Yeshua went there, He ministered to the folks there and they all loaded up and went on to Heaven (my ghetto translation ).
So I believe the place exists and that if you don't except what He did for ya then you'll go there, but I think you did bring up a valid point about mistranslation and the Catholic Church.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

Oh I absolutely agree there's a bad place that non believers go... It's just different places got translated to one place and it's not all the same. It's not so cut and dry as most make it out to be is my point. I just don't subscribe to the idea of eternal torture. God is rational and punishment is supposed to instruct. It says you must be saved to have eternal life - so if you are not you can't suffer eternally right? The Bible mentions the second death. That's pretty much what I believe right now, is that they eventually just cease to exist.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Eh, in my opinion, the second death is eternal seperation from God, that's a pretty bad thing. Here's one way to look at it, the wages of sin is what? Death. Every action has a reaction, sometimes the reaction is permanent, the thing is if people believe that they will only go to hell for a little while then why worry about it at all? After all they are just learning a lesson, I don't know if you see what I'm getting at, but it's one of them things that's hard for me to explain really lol.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

the thing is if people believe that they will only go to hell for a little while then why worry about it at all?

I understand and I also wouldn't bet on universal salvation. It's appropriate to warn people but I don't believe fear of hell is what draws people to God. It's his mercy - so I wanted to try and emphasize that when I posted this thread.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hell is an actual place. So the fact that you tell people to go to hell means you are telling them to go to this place. Not the fictional place that is made up.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I agree with what defcon said. The gospels and Jesus talk about hell. All over the bible it talk about hell. The bible says the gates to hell are wide and open. To say that there is no hell is to say that Jesus is a lier. And I believe in every word that Jesus teaches us.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Is it possible that the creator modeled the Jerusalem which is below based on a pattern of the one which is above?

Is it possible that if the lesser Jerusalem has a smoldering garbage dump, so does the greater?

Is it possible that Abraham was in the greater city and he was speaking to the rich man who was desiring a drop of water to be placed on his tongue while being in the garbage dump?

Why is it when you give a man a representation of something that he runs away with the mirror rather than what it reflects?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join