It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual Picture of Hell

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

It truly is. Gehenna, the word hell is translated from in the New Testament, is rooted in an Old Testament location. It is generally regarded as derived from a valley nearby Jerusalem that originally belonged to a man named Hinnom. Scholars say the word is a transliteration of the Valley of the Sons of Hinnom, a valley that had a long history in the Old Testament, all of it bad. For example Molech worship (human sacrifice) occurred there.

During Jesus lifetime, the Hinnom valley was the trash dump outside of Jerusalem. The belief in the eternal part comes from the mistranslation of the Greek aion: it always meant a period of time - not forever. It's where our word eon comes from. So when Jesus said Gehenna, his listeners knew where he was talking about as a real physical place they had seen with there own eyes, not a spiritual place of eternal torture.

The OT word the KJV mistranslates as Hell is actually sheol and it means grave, not hell. . Eternal torture was never mentioned once in the entire Old Testament. The continued contemporary belief stems from mistranslation of the Greek and Hebrew which brought Hell into our English translations. Words like Sheol, Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna, and aion. Hell actually come from a old word, hel, that means to bury, i.e. you hel your potatoes. The Bible truly does not teach Hell in its correct translation.

I am a Christian. I believe the concept of eternal damnation to be an invention from the same minds that came up with indulgences. To control the population with fear. God takes no joy in torment, punishment is supposed to be instructive, what would be the use of eternal punishment? Yes there is sin and evil in the world but God created man for happiness. He just wants you to choose him over the world.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have been to Israel and there is a location called the Gates of Hell (pictured on link). Jesus also refered to the Gates of Hell:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18)

i257.photobucket.com...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by jdposey]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Well, it looks lovely!! I can hardly wait!! Talk about idlyic

J.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

It does look kind of nice. Reminds me of an AC/DC song, "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be." However it is clear in the Bible that there is a judgment day and there will be a sorting out of souls... I just don't think the punishment is eternal torture. I think Hades is a temporary holding tank of sorts. Perhaps even ol' Adolf and Stalin will get a chance to repent.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Eternal judgement is repulsive to many because it is assumed to last a long, long time!

But the bible says that time itself will one day come to an end. So the argument that eternal judgement is unjust because it (allegedly) represents a long, long time...is flawed.

Eternal judgement is judgement in units of eternity. Whatever eternity is, it does not require a timepiece to measure it's passing.

I think eternity is a permanent or fixed state or condition. Time is a temporary vehicle which facilitates the making of choices that ultimately will catapult us into either one eternal state or another.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I believe I experienced hell for maybe 5 minutes.

I did not see a pic like this. In fact I did not see anything at all.

I felt the most awful trapped torment inside my soul that I would never want to go back.

It is just torture, not from anyone doing anything, just a sensation that stays with you for as long as it does. It spirals up and down inside you. There is no escape just torment. The sensation becomes physically painful. A constant spiral trapped feeling... and it is so intense, there is nothing to make it go away.

Thank GOD I did not feel it for too long!

I don't think a pic can adequately portray the feeling of hell. That is all I can say, that pic, although dimmed and rather ASTRAL does not equate at all to the feeling of which I got to experience.

cheers

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy I am a Christian. I believe the concept of eternal damnation to be an invention from the same minds that came up with indulgences. To control the population with fear.

As a Christian, do you reject the words of Christ and the Apostles? They both provide numerous descriptions of Hell in the Bible as a VERY real place!

God takes no joy in torment, punishment is supposed to be instructive, what would be the use of eternal punishment?

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. .

Yes there is sin and evil in the world but God created man for happiness. He just wants you to choose him over the world.

What about those who do not choose Christ? Who make the conscience decsion to reject Him and do as they please? Unfortunately, some men choose evil over good...

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Couldn't agree more. Flagged and starred. Personally I was completely ignorant of the reality of a non-permanent hell until I stumbled across this theory on my own. And, mind you, I graduated from a Christian college-this idea simply wasn't taught, not even to refute it!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Interesting how the idea of hell has changed over the years and how hell seems so much nicer than in the biblical days. We have some new hells.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hell? Yeah sure.

Experiences described as "hell" all have a psychological explanations, stress, psychosis and so on. I dont understand how people actually believe this stuff.

There is no hell, there is no heaven. The bible is a fairytale based on a dude that likes sandals and has no hairdresser, give him some tatoos, give him a guitarr and place him in system of a down, theres your heaven.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Well, considering Hell was only invented a few thousand years ago, I just hope they've kept the carpets clean and the dishes done
I hate it when it gets all messy...

J.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It seems to me that hell would either be:
The eternal removal of God's presence for you. (True torment, being the void of knowing you are cut off for all eternity from Him)
Or:
Judgement. Each soul in an endless conveyor line. Each soul walks through a wall of ionic flame. Those found lacking have their soul and very essence destroyed by the flame. Those deserving walk through unscathed into heaven, or explore the universe, or meld with God, or whatever other thing you want to think of.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hell is ther eternal seperation from the realm that God inhabits and that we will as well. The plan called for the creation of a race of beings that God could trust with ALL of His abilities and nature. As joint heir's with Christ, we will also become the ' new man ' the first of a new kind of being: Fully able to travel from the spiritual realm to the physical realm, and with no machines or physics needed.

God was, but He was alone. He wanted sincere loving company, like we all do. We all do as part of our nature because he did first, we inherit all good traits from His nature, and all bad one's by ignoring His will and Word. In order to accomplish this and have it genuine, not ordered and with no choice on our parts, he had to come up with a plan to create and test and eliminate those souls that would not believe in or recognize God if he stood in front of them. This was one thing that Jesus told doubters, as you recall. If they could not believe by faith, they could not believe their own eyes.

BUT, there will be very very few souls that are seperated from God. The Bible says that ' hell is made for the devil and his followers '. A follower is presumed to be one in agreement with and in submission to an authority figure that represents the group as a whole.The only people who are destined for eternal seperation are those that know very well what the truth is, and purposefully choose the path of evil and rejection of God.

Very few souls are stupid and vain enough to believe that underneath it all God is pulling a fast one on all of us and that when we choose the dark side we will become ' enlightened ' and realize that we too are God's that had been denied this knowledge by a jealous and meanspirited God who wants all the glory for hinself. But a few will, because they want to abandon morality or the Godly traits in order to live a life that suits the flesh and ego and not the soul. At some point they will recognize that Christ is Lord and that the Bible is true, and they will turn away and choose death because they shun holiness: They see holiness as inhibiting their desires and lusts and that they will not give up.

So, a small part of mankind will reject God knowingly and will have no complaints or gripes when judgement comes, as their own words will convict them. God convicts no man, no soul. We will each stand before God one day and either have a point of proof that one accepted the truth and will live, or there will be proof openly for all to see that will send the corrupt soul away forever as the only just act for one that would destroy all of creation to be able to deny God exists and is deserving of all we can give him.

We will, by our own words and deeds, displayed for all to witness, our own fates. We walk up and decalre one way or another and so there can never be a finger of accusation pointed at God that He was unjust or unfair. it will be plain and clear. Of course when those who have chosen foolishly and selfishly find out what awaits them in a realm devoid of all traist that God possess, they will certainly be ' weeping and wailing ' as it sinks in what their reward is for believing that God was a liar.

Now that those souls have been eliminated, and God's spirit ,which already indwells the believer already, has the chance to operate without interference from the distractions of sin, can give literally all of His nature and abilities to us, in full. You know what that makes us? Before you get upset and think that to be a god is the same as being God, we will all know the difference very well, and with nothing but God's nature to guide us, imagine what reality will become for us!!! We will be able to create any and all things that we wish; we can be trusted to only do God's will and we can be assured of always knowing that we have the Father to turn to if we ever have a question.

The future is one of incredible gains for us, and God gets what He wanted all along; company that understands Him and can love Him freely and eternally because of who He is, and what He has done for us. It staggers the mind when you even get part way into the real deal of Christ. I have a very uniqe story that I may tell here is there are enough interested. It is a story of witnessed and personal contact with the spirit of God. I tell it seldom, and never have here, but I am lead to offer it if any are interested.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteWash

Nah - surely Hell is scratches on your new rock n roll CD, and discovering you've run out of Jack Daniels AND smokes at the same time!!

Now THAT'S hell!!

J.

Mod Note: One Line / Off Topic Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I see a lot of people on here making statements but very few using scripture (from any religion) to back them up...let's keep our standards of proof high, people!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon365

As a Christian, do you reject the words of Christ and the Apostles? They both provide numerous descriptions of Hell in the Bible as a VERY real place!

That is exactly my point it is a VERY real place and that is a very real picture of it at the top. Did you read my post? Jesus didn't speak English. I am afraid you don't know the words of Jesus and the apostles because you have studied a corrupted translation. Jesus never used the word Hell. What was translated to Hell was the Hebrew word Gehenna, which means the Hinom valley, a place the disciples knew about, and that's a picture of it today!

If the concept of eternal damnation is real. Don't you find it odd that God didn't tell Moses about it? Obey these 10 commandments or go to Hell. But he didn't warn anyone of it in the Old Testament.

Notice I'm not saying everyone goes to heaven, I don't know. Jesus makes it clear that there is punishment and a place called Hades that is not eternal. But the concept of eternal damnation to a place called Hell is NOT Biblical. I believe it was a conspiracy of the early catholic church to scare the masses into submission to their political rule.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I learned this stuff in my bible studies 15, or so, years ago. A lot of people do not know is though. Great post.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If you keep in mind Hell (Gehenna) was a commonly known place where the Jews dumped their garbage outside of Jerusalem, the verses take on a new meaning.
Example from Tentmaker.org

Matthew 23:33

"Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell (Gehenna)?"

Just three verses later, Jesus said, in Mt. 23.36:

"Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation."

About these same things, Jesus said in Mt. 24.34:

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished."

Thus, Jesus gave the time element when this fiery destruction on the land would be carried out: in that generation, i.e., in the time of his dealing with the then present generation of Jews. To sum up, Jesus threatened the Jews in the environs of Jerusalem that they were headed for the valley named Gehenna where there would be unquenchable fire (Mk. 9.43) upon his generation (Mt. 23.36) in his generation (Mt. 24.34), when God destroys the souls of those of Jesus' generation after killing their bodies (Lk. 12.5, Mt. 10.28). We cannot make it more precise! Gehenna is where Jesus said Jerusalem would end up after its unstoppable fiery destruction in 70 A.D.
Jas. 3.6

I challenge anyone to find where the apostle Paul who wrote most of the New Testament taught eternal damnation in Hell. I don't see it.

Isn't that odd....

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ummm. Given that the earliest sources of the Gospels we have are in Greek, how do you claim to know what word the "original" books of the NT used when Jesus is said to have said "hell"?

[edit on 15-2-2008 by d60944]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Great thread. I'm glad to see that more people are learning the truth about this subject. I tried contributing to a few threads on the subject of hell but most people responding just wanted to bandy about their unsubstantiated opinions. No one wanted to investigate any scriptures, translations (and mistranslations) or interpretations of what they were basing their opinions on. Glad to see someone else get through where I was unable. Starred and flagged.

Eyewitness, I would be interested to hear your story. U2U me if you don't feel compelled to start a new thread or post your story on this one.

Chromatico, I have 2 books full of scriptural reference if you're interested. I'd even be happy to send you one for free. I did the editing but we were in such a hurry to get it to publishing that a few (grammatical and spelling) errors got through. We have an insert explaining the few errors. Honestly, if you're seriously seeking the truth on the matter of hell, I'll mail you the book (free). Just ask.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join