It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of America's most Notorious Asylums that is now a Condo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Can anyone say Poltergeist?

Anyone near Boston want a condo?

www.avaloncommunities.com...

A Brief little history of the land known by many names: (Hawthorne Hill, The Castle on the Hill, The Palace on the Hill, The Haunted Castle, The Witches' Castle, The Kirkbride, State Lunatic Hospital of Danvers, Danvers State Mental Hospital, Prospect Hill)

1. Hathorne family home first built in 1646(The Kirkbride building later built on exact same place)
2. John Hathorne the most fanatical of all the Judges from the Salem witch trials lives in that house.
3. Accused witches are hanged on the site (Hathorne Hill of Danvers, Mass)
4. In 1874 construction for the "State Lunatic Hospital at Danvers" begins as an attempt to bring patients out of their illusions through beautiful surroundings
5. Officially opened May 13, 1878
6. By 1945 a hospital that was designed to care for 600 has a shift of 9 people watching over 2,300 patients. Danvers becomes the place where the lobotomy is perfected, where shock treatments, hydrotherapy (Today used to get info from terrorist)), and any other treatment that will control not cure the patient is used.
7. 1958 Horror Movie Home Before Dark filmed there.
www.imdb.com...
8. 1970’s Kirkbride building abandoned
9. June 24,1992 the Asylum closes its doors.
10. 2001 Session 9 filmed there (Several actors later talked about strange feelings and seeing stuff that wasn’t there).
www.imdb.com...
11. State sells the land to Avalon Bay to have Condo’s built
Architects plans : www.architecturalteam.com...
12. 2006 Avalon Bay starts demolition
13. April, 2007 Fire destroys several apartments
www.opacity.us...
14. Present you can actually buy a condo on this land if you dare.

Things the place is known for: sounds of foot steeps, windows breaking for no reason,, screams,ghostly attacks, strange shadows in photographs,

Some good pictures of the place:
www.opacity.us...

Urban Explorers page on the place (All the pics you will ever need)
www.uer.ca...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I like the advertising tagline for the community - "Time well spent". I guess that all depends on your tolerance for paranormal activity. Personally, I think $1200/month is quite reasonable for a studio complete with deranged poltergeist.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks for that uer link, that is cool. I would not be living in those condos

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No Problem

I was so totally shocked that they would not only build again on this property but that it would be a place that people lived I had to tell someone. $1200... I wouldn't take $1200 to live at that place.

Some other fun facts:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Asylum may have been the inspiration for H. P. Lovecraft's Arkham Sanitarium, which in turn was the inspiration for Arkham Asylum in the Batman comic book series. Danvers also appears in H. P. Lovecraft's short stories "Pickman's Model" , "Herbert West Reanimator" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". In the game Painkiller, one of the levels, called Asylum, is based on the central administration section. While the outside is a faithful reproduction, the inside is not.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
One of the quotes from those pages

"Hospital perfected the pre-frontal lobotomy."

Man you can just imagine how much stuff was done to people in that place, they even boast about those things.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah if that's in your promo, makes you really wonder what they did to people that they didn't want people to know about. Makes me kind of want to visit Mass, to personally check these Condo's out. I'm sure someone's already pretended to want to check out the different condo's just to get a look around the place. Plus there is this other Asylum Waltham Metropolitan State Hospital that is so Notorious that when shown on a Scariest Places episode on Sci-fi they could only talk about it as the "New England Mental Hospital". The one where a male inmate hacked up a female one and buried her in many different places. The show was pretty cool and even had a total freak out moment in the morgue during filming when a leg moved (probably a hobo) but still everybody went home after that. lol.

Anybody close to Boston might want to check out:

www.hollowhill.com...

[edit on 15-2-2008 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I found something interesting when trying to check out info on Waltham Metropolitan State Hospital. Another realitor is trying to tear this former Mental hospital into a residence.:
www.dailynewstranscript.com...

This is the info I have on this place:

The Metropolitan State Hospital, one of several similar publicly funded mental hospitals located across the Commonwealth, was closed in January 1992 as part of the state’s privatization policy regarding the mental health system. The hospital was sold to Olympus Health Care Group in 1996 as a countywide cost-cutting move, but it closed last year (2001.) The land is currently owned by a real estate trust, JPI of Irving,Texas.

Waltham - Metropolitan State Hospital - From approximately 1974-1976 a former employee worked at Metropolitan State Hospital as a Mental Health Worker I. they were assigned to the TriCity unit, initially working with the geriatric patients and later in their acute and chronic wards elsewhere on the campus. They report Metropolitan State Hospital even then was an eerie place. Sad to say, but conditions back then weren't the nicest. Not to say abusive, but they were still pretty grim. The typical unit was set up with a desk where the staff would congregate for most of their shift and a large number of chairs lining the walls. God help you if you ever tried changing the configuration of the furniture. It had to be institutional with all chairs against the walls. In most units there would also be one or two tables with chairs around them for various activities. The patients would sit in the chairs, sit around the tables etc. e television was constantly on for everyone's amusement. The staff had a ring of keys which let them in and out of the units. In each unit there were halls that ran perpendicular to the main hall which led to a row of rooms where the patients slept. These included some smaller rooms for individuals or two people and occasionally a larger room for several people in a bunkroom style. The walls were always a sad pale green color and the windows had grids on them. And there was always one room which was padded and could be locked to contain violent patients who were having an incident. the tunnels were built so that someone could travel between the various buildings during inclement weather etc. the worker used them a few times and they were very small and claustrophobic feeling, lit by lights at ceiling level every several feet. The tunnels always felt eerie as though there were something just ahead or behind you. A lot of staff insisted that if they had to travel by tunnel that they go alone. Some of the buildings didn't use all their floors when they where there. In the building which housed the TriCity acute and chronic wards the top floor was closed. One time during a break they went upstairs and unlocked it. The entire area was dark with no power and though they knew the layout because it was identical to the one downstairs they didn't spend more than a few minutes there. The oppressive feeling was just too great and felt as though it were "crushing". Today, Metropolitan State Hospital and all of its buildings are closed down and the grounds are very carefully guarded. - visitors to this site where chased off the property. no tresspassing. If you want to go in you really need to coordinate it and get written permission. And you need to be sure to bring someone with you. - Whether you are walking the grounds or go into a building or the tunnels it is one very scary place.
sertma.tripod.com...

Urban Explorers site on Waltham
www.iussa.org...
All there pictures:
www.iussa.org...

Not much Info is availible because the authorites have gone way out of there way to hassle those that tried. I don't know if its all legal or what but I've visited several sites who have pulled info about the place with notes from the Mass department of public safety, or other officials. They even made a tv show not say their name in order to film there.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I wonder if there's any ghostly therapists hanging around there also? Maybe someone could channel a few to offer their services? The fees might be out of this world though.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
DUDE thats friggin sweet!!!

i know i know im on the bizarre side but damn thats kinda cool. yeah i bet it comes with ghosts and all

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
As an E.M.T, I transported patients to both of these facilities before they closed, And can tell you the old Danvers sans CREEPED ME THE # OUT!
Theres very little of the original buildings left, But they kept the facade of what was the admissions building to house the condo admin offices and I believe some sort of recreation center. I was actually just in one of the condos visiting a friend 2 weeks ago and we had a blast wandering the grounds. Actually her condo is very nice and well worth the price she pays in rent. And no she has'nt seen any ghosts,apparitions or poltergeists. Actually when they finally did close the place down they just opened the doors and released many patients into the street with no services or further care, Actually pretty sad.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
fourthhorseman

Man if you live aroung there you have to take some photo's to show us what going on there. I'm still waiting for a shinning moment where the ghost all persuade the cairtaker to kill everbody in the condo or something. That the kind of place where you dose yourself with holywater before and after.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthhorseman
As an E.M.T, I transported patients to both of these facilities before they closed, And can tell you the old Danvers sans CREEPED ME THE # OUT!
Theres very little of the original buildings left, But they kept the facade of what was the admissions building to house the condo admin offices and I believe some sort of recreation center. I was actually just in one of the condos visiting a friend 2 weeks ago and we had a blast wandering the grounds. Actually her condo is very nice and well worth the price she pays in rent. And no she has'nt seen any ghosts,apparitions or poltergeists. Actually when they finally did close the place down they just opened the doors and released many patients into the street with no services or further care, Actually pretty sad.

There has got to be some way to push insane people even more deranged. Like a total and complete breakdown - not any kind of voices or any of that stuff I sit next to those people on the bus. Not murderisly insane either but I mean there has got to be someway to really really really freak these people out. I have sought treatment before or was forced because of family problems beyond my control and everytime I go see the doctor and wait in the lobby there is always some forty year old black dude telling the other patients or people in the office how he was to tear open some white ladys baby sexually. I told my social worker that and he was trying to sleep with me too even my psychiatrist has told me she wants to sleep with me. But my facisnation with mental illness and pushing it to the breaking point comes from alice in wonderland and '___'. (ATTN MOD not promoting illegal drug use but it was once used for treatment of psychological disorders)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What I really wonder about "INSANE" people

They say that insane people usually have some chemical inbalance in their brain that causes what ever insanity to come out. I wonder if that chemical inbalance is just some other branch of evolution trying something new if you will. Maybe these people actually see ghost, people in the future, see the pain others feel or have felt, etc. Because the norm's like us just don't understand it we lock them up in bad places and feed them drugs to say we are helping them, when we are just trying to hind them from our daily view.

They say the difference between insanity and genius is about 1-2 degrees.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Royal76]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
i once lived in it, and a 90 year old virgin raped me

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
seems pretty cheap for a nice condo..but one built there? Hell no.

Do the people living there now know of it's history?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i live at the old danvers state. i love it and know the full history of the place a main reason i moved up here. I have had a few unexplained things happen to me here.

new topics

top topics

join