It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing condemns Olympic row 'ulterior motives'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Beijing condemns Olympic row 'ulterior motives'

www.guardian.co.uk

China today expressed regret over Steven Spielberg's resignation as artistic consultant to the Beijing Olympics over Darfur, and accused critics of its policy in Sudan of having "ulterior motives".

The government's response is an attempt to minimise the public relations fallout from Spielberg's withdrawal, which has drawn attention to China's poor human rights record at home and abroad less than half a year before the games begin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pinoypress.net
www.smh.com.au
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'Count Me Out' - Spielberg Quits Olympics
Before Olympic Games, China quells dissent (more human rights travesties)
2008 Olympics - Great Games of Slaughter?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
For those who haven't been following the story, Spielberg quit as artistic consultant to the Olympics because of China's involvement in the Darfur genocide.

The Chinese buy Sudanese oil and provide the government with weapons to continue their murderous rampage.

This is essentially 'Blood Diamond' all over again, but this time with oil and China/Russia is at fault.

Both those countries have been denying the Security Council to act on Darfur and call it a genocide...You wonder why?

The Hollywood director said he was quitting because Beijing had not done enough to halt the killings in the Darfur, where Khartoum-linked militias are fighting rebel groups.

China is thought to have more influence over Sudan than any other country because it is a major buyer of oil and supplier of arms to Khartoum.

He is rightfully pissed off at these people.

Not only do they murder their own civilians to build the Olympic stadium, they are complacent in the murder of Darfur civilians as well.

What a great shining standard of hope coming from the Communist dictatorship.

Makes me want to give Hu a high-five more and more...

The Chinese of course spin the Spielberg loss as something better for the Olympics and having nothing to do with Darfur.

That sounds a lot like our country and their media spin.

Maybe that's why Hu and Bush get along so well, they both ran their countries into the ground.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

The Chinese government will try to save face no matter what the consequences are in order to move forward with the Olympics.

It is no surprise they are involved in genocide of Africans as they do the same to their own people. Why would they care about people thousands of miles away if they don't give a crap about their local population?

I commend Spielberg for the balls to stand up to the Communist government occupying Beijing.

Let's hope more people wake up.

I forgot to mention their suppression of journalists:

Time to speak up on the Beijing Olympics

Roger Simon: Not blogging the Olympics

Beijing Olympics, China Politics

Media Freedom attacks continue despite pledges

The Olympics, Cultivating a positive image (Where there is none)

I suggest if you care about the Chinese and African peoples you boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I sure am.

Its funny how the EU President advises against boycotting the Olympics as he thinks it will send the wrong message.

"Sports is too important. It is too important to use it as a political instrument," Milan Zver, the sports minister of Slovenia, which holds the EU presidency, said Thursday .

Yeah sports are more important than human life. Nice to know the EU cares about human rights violations.

Just let the Olympics carry on because the games are more important than life.

Is he for real?

Repression continues in China

US should boycott Olympics

I agree.

The Israelis care, but it seems the EU President doesn't give a #:

Boycott Olympics - Jerusalem Post

Shunning China would be clear signal that it must curb pollution, human rights violations

As much as I don't care for Israel's foreign policy, I'm glad to see them take a stand on at least something worthwhile.

join