It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a compilation of fantastic 80's movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
rad
thrashin
escape from new york
big trouble in little china
breakfast club
16 candles
wierd science
band of the hand
revenge of the ninja
pray for death
american ninja
avenging force
war games
-------
thats all i have right now. feel free to add to the list...80's though

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Can't forget about St. Elmo's fire since you're going with the 80's brat pack movies.....

Gotta love that one.

A_L

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
gleaming the cube
frog dreaming
robo cop
stand by me

edit*
st elmo's fire is teh pwn. i love that movie

[edit on 14-2-2008 by Boondock78]

edit*
the tocxoc avenger yo...how can we leave that one out....
melvin the mop boy

[edit on 14-2-2008 by Boondock78]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm gonna beat Crakeur to the punch with GHOSTBUSTERS!
Pretty in Pink
The Wraith
Purple Rain
Alien
ET
HEAVY METAL
Predator
Risky Business
Terminator
St. Elmo's Fire ( yes a Demi Moore film)
FlashDance
Dirty Dancing
FAME
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm St.
Clan of the Cave Bear
Meatballs
Fast Times at Ridgemont high
Gremlins
More later if I think of them....
Edit- YOUNG GUNS!

[edit on 14-2-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

you got some good ones snuck in there.
clan of the cave bear is the shizz.

what about
a man called horse
action jackson
adventures in babysitting

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
pumpkinhead
shocker
i'm gonna git you sucka
howard the duck
willow

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I've still got crossroads!!
although it's a cleaned up copy of the video on dvd.

Great movie - cheesy as hell, but love the music.

ry cooder & steve vai - guitar gods.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

i just watched that the other day....i love the beginning deal with robert johnson...fantastic..

willie was cool too. always calling lighting boy a chicken head chicken ass.

bwuahahahahaah

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I can't believe Tron isn't on this list...

For that matter, I can't believe Firefox's spell check dictionary doesn't have Tron in it by default... Oy!

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
what about "when harry met sally"?
all the right moves
beetlejuice
the big easy
Brazil
earth girls are easy
drugstore cowboy
withnail and I
the untouchables
videodrome
time bandits
star trek series
superman series
southern comfort
deliverance (?)
rocky series
Raging Bull
planes trains and automobiles
man with 2 brains
the jerk
fatal attraction

and sooooo many more

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The Goonies!!

And

Batman

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
K-mart sux. - Rain man.

Stop calling me Shirley. - Naked Gun.

That's not a knife... Now that's a knife. - Crocodile Dundee.

Boiled rabbit? Anyone? - Fatal Attraction.

beep beep... beep beep... beep beep Whaaaa ugghhhhhh. - Aliens.

We're on a mission from God. - The Blues Brother.

I could do this all day... MonKey

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Since I really enjoy them I have to mention the Back to the Future films .
The second film might have been the last one to be made in the decade of the eighties and was the least enjoyable of the lot. This is made up by the fact the last film is set in the wild west.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The 1980's truly was a Golden Age for movies. So many original concepts, so many experiments tried, and the stupid Hollywood Formulas had not yet been fully implemented, so you still ended up with the occasional movie that was deep, insightful, visually stunning, and unlike anything else seen before.

With that in mind, I made a list, then read through and removed the ones that already had been mentioned (like Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Goonies, Tron, etc...)

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

• The Last Starfighter
    A kid beats a video game that turns out to be a recruiting device for an intergalactic army, and he's the only one who can save the galaxy? Who WOULDN'T want to be that kid?

• Explorers
    A motley group of kids builds a spaceship out of junkyard parts and meet friendly aliens. Every kid's dream in the 80's.

• A Christmas Story
    Any movie that is played every single year, for 24 hours straight, as a back to back marathon, AND STILL TO THIS DAY catches me off guard and causes me to sit down and watch it, is a damnded fine piece of art. There are very few movies that can remotely attest to this. It probably has the greatest staying power of any movie ever made since.

• The Black Cauldron
    Oh come on! A FULL-LENGTH CARTOON MOVIE that DOESN'T have singing! It's got swords, magic, skeletons, and DOOOOM! This was the coolest cartoon movie ever made when it came out, and it stayed the coolest cartoon movie until anime managed to cross the seas. It's still probably one of the best American cartoon movies ever made that doesn't involve singing.

• The Dark Crystal
    This was the pinnacle of Frank Oz and Jim Henson's career, and hands-down, the best puppet-movie ever, to this day, and probably forever, since no one does puppets anymore, because of the power of CGI.

• Labyrinth
    Hmmm... rather adult puppet dialogue, Dave Bowie, wicked set design, mazes, and some really catchy music. This movie had everything going for it except the hackneyed actress. Still very much a classic.

• Willow
    Willow, sadly, died an unknown death, bombed at the theatres, and I'll never know why. It's the standard I hold all "sword and sorcery" movies against. The special effects were cool, the plot was great, the acting was great, the comedy was hilarious without being over the top, the violence was sensational without being gory, the adventure was epic without being a bladderbuster, the character growth of every major character was both touching and believable, the villainess was both terrifying and unstoppable, and the ending was exactly the one it needed to be, while leaving the audience happier and better for it.

• Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom
  • Indiana Jones: Last Crusade
    With some preference-based exceptions, women wanted to be with him, men wanted to be him. He was strong, clever, witty, ruggedly handsome, stylish, resourceful, dashing, a doctor, educated, well-traveled, knew everything about anything, could take a punch like Rocky Balboa, and TWICE defeated the Nazis, with a side-trip to defeat an entire cult and save a third-world country! And he never took any of it for himself, it always went to a museum. He was, and still is, the very icon of what makes a man a man.

• posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:26 AM
    link   
    reply to post by thelibra

I didn't mention Willow as BD got there first... I love that movie. I saw it at a special preview a week before it came.

One of the (errr how can I be PC about this) shorter actresses was in my class at school which was way cool and then we had Vil Kilmer and JW Kilmer turn up with a thank you present for her which was mind blowing for all of us!

MonKey

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:27 AM
    link   
    You all forgot about the best movie of all!

Short Circuit!
    I don't remember how many they made, but I loved them!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM
    link   
    Holy crap you guys took me so far back I almost felt the need to peg my pants. You guys pretty much covered all I can think of, I didnt see big that was a good movie. It is fantastic movies, so breakin, and breakin 2 electric boogaloo would be out of the question for that list. Edit to add-- Rambo first blood, that movie was awesome.

You know I have watched a couple movies that I used to love from that time. As I watched them I thought to myself, my god this is stupid. I watched commando a couple days ago, I loved that movie when I was younger, now, man it is stupid.

Once again Boon you have created a great thread, all hail boon.............. NOW!

[edit on 15-2-2008 by gunner36]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:05 PM
    link   
    Do you guys ever watch family guy? I friggin love that show, they are always bringing up 80's movies in that show.

They did one on the breakfast club, it had tony the tiger, the lucky charms leprechaun, the trix rabbit, etc. Tony says my old man gave me a pack of cigarettes for christmas, here son, their GRRRRRRRREAT! Ah man that show frigging kills me.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 03:09 PM
    link   

Originally posted by secret titan
    You all forgot about the best movie of all!

Short Circuit!
    I don't remember how many they made, but I loved them!

Yes!! I loved Short Circut! I also loved Back to the Future (avatar
    )

However if no one can remember many - have a look at www.fast-rewind.com - a lot of movie reviews for the 80's. Some good ones there.

Ahhh 'The Wizard'. Was a Fred Savage movie about a video game wiz kid

Another Michael J Fox Favourite - "Teen Wolf"

Stand by Me as well...there's heaps

Thx

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:06 PM
    link   
    My favs are:
    Say Anything
    Mac and Me(I think 80's?)
    Lucas
    Tapeheads(??)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Young Einstein
    Child's Play
    Communion(gave me nightmares... plus CW was great!)
    Dead Zone
    Society(my dad's fav)
    Brainstorm(another of my dad's)
    D.A.R.Y.L
    Innerspace
    Dreamscape
    Neverending Story
    Return To Oz
    Starman

There were a lot more, specially kids movies since I was born in 81' but these are just some of the ones that we used to watch all the time in my house.(cept Society and Brainstorm for me... my Dad never let me watch those until I bought them for him for his birthday on DVD like 2 years ago... lol.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join