It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is V-22 the Common Support Aircraft solution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 10:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 10:52 PM
link   
assuming that program ever actually gets off the ground...(bad pun lol)

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I believe it would enter service, cause if not, the US DoD would commit the highest mistake since the UK DoD choose to go for an 'all missiles' air force back in the 60s, decission which stills hurts in the UK defense industry. Lots of programs ditched, TSR2, Supersonic Harrier, see these links:

www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk...
www.harrier.org.uk...

[Edited on 2002-12-17 by MakodFilu]

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 12:19 AM
link   
supersonic harrier? i have not heard of that one

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Now you did...

Another (earlier) victim: The Hawker P.1121. Same capabilities as F-4 Phantom back in the early 60s (in fact, in the late 50s)

www.raf.mod.uk...

Back on topic:

The V-22 is a flying box capable of almost any dull duty. It's *the* definitive ASW flying platform (or is someone thinking of a MAD pod and torpedoes for the X-35?).

As an AEW platform, i think those huge rotors would do more than a nasty interference, but...

[Edited on 2002-12-17 by MakodFilu]

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The Avro CF-105 Arrow >.< =*(
Mix a Mig-25, a F-15 and a Mirage, and you have the CF-105.

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow
www.mach3graphics.com... (info, a comparison with MiG-25, secret documents, nice site)
exn.ca...
www.spitcrazy.com...

I'm thinking about splitting this tread in two... Mine is the fault.

Any oppinion/ clue/ certainty about the V-22 or we must wait to, as KKing123 said, V-22 to have green-light to production?

[Edited on 2002-12-18 by MakodFilu]

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 11:59 PM
link   
A lot of good aircraft that never were: you'll find an old discussion on the Arrow in the archives, by the way.
As for the Osprey, it's getting a terrible press still and my impression is that it and the new Harrier are heading for the scrap-heap and the Marines won't get them.

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A recent story here:
www.ctnow.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
A recent story here:
www.ctnow.com...

Please, edit your post and use tags, because the the link is broken in two...

To Moderators: it seems there is something wrong with the forum automatically putting tags to links.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Although this thread is 20 years old, allow me to emphasize that the Common Support Aircraft program that was supposed to produce a multi-role carrier-based aircraft comprising ASW, electronic warfare, surveillance, and COD variants sharing the same airframe was apparently shelved in 1999 due to the Navy's ever-changing aviation priorities. Nevertheless, the US Navy is now replacing the C-2 Greyhound fleet with a COD variant of the V-22 Osprey, the CMV-22B, and may eventually be more than happy to revive the unbuilt SV-22 variant for anti-submarine warfare if it decides to shop for a new-generation ASW aircraft able to execute the ASW duties left vacant by the retirement of the SH-2G Super Seasprite and S-3 Viking that the P-3 Orion wouldn't be capable of carrying out.

Links:
sldinfo.com...
seapowermagazine.org...

new topics

top topics

join