It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World's Dump: Ocean Garbage From Hawaii to Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

The World's Dump: Ocean Garbage From Hawaii to Japan

A "plastic soup" of waste floating in the Pacific Ocean is growing at an alarming rate and now covers an area twice the size of the continental United States, scientists have said.

The vast expanse of debris -- in effect the world's largest rubbish dump -- is held in place by swirling underwater currents. This drifting "soup" stretches from about 500 nautical miles off the Californian coast, across the northern Pacific, past Hawaii and almost as far as Japan.

(visit the link for the full news article)
alternet.org...

[edited in: RELATED THREADS]
Swirling plastic vortex menaces sea life
Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific
Are we literally turning into plastic?

Mod Note: Please read *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums -- and don't forget Related Threads

[edit on 14-2-2008 by realmatrix]

[edit on 14/2/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Plastic soup, a large expansive bloc of garbage which floats the ocean from just west of California to near japan. I did not no this exsisted to the degree it is describe in this article. The author identifiys an environmental castastrophy
which we must understand and begin addressing immediately.

I found this article to be a good backgrounder for myself, and hopefully it will benefit you too.

alternet.org...
www.independent.co.uk...
www.commondreams.org...
[edit on 14-2-2008 by realmatrix

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by realmatrix

Plastic soup, a large expansive bloc of garbage which floats the ocean from just west of Califoria tro near japan. I did not no thiis exsited to the degree it is describe in this article. The author identifys a environmental castastrophy
which we must understamd and begin addressing immediately.

I found this article to be a good backgrounder for myself, and hopefully it will benefit you too.

You might actually want to post a link in here

As far as I know you're making this up

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
i don't think this qualifies as breaking news... although that size does seem quite a bit larger than i have heard before... but i am skeptical with out a legit source

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Thanks...I was in the process of doing that when I saw your post...thanks! My cpy/pst function failed.....

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
i don't think this qualifies as breaking news... although that size does seem quite a bit larger than i have heard before... but i am skeptical with out a legit source

They can certainly move the tread if it doesn't fit here...however I have never heard of this before, which is why I posted it here for discussion.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
here is an informative video about the 'plastic vortex'

au.youtube.com...

top topics

join