It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Badge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There have been so very many publicized instances of Police Officers apparently out of control I thought I would broach the subject and present to you all why Semper wears a badge.

The Badge

That little shiny piece of tin. (Well they used to be tin in the old days)

It represents, it indicates, it authorizes and it subtracts. It gives to the wearer some of the most awesome power in society and at the same time, it removes much of the power from the officer that an ordinary citizen enjoys.

It gives to the wearer the power to enforce the laws of the land; it takes from the wearer the ability to be weak or unsure, to act in ways others accept as ordinary or funny.

It gives to the wearer the symbolism of all that is right with society; it takes from them many of the Constitutional Rights others enjoy and yet demands that the wearer uphold and enforce those rights.

It represents authority.
It indicates justice.
It authorizes the wearer to intercede.
It subtracts from the wearer the ability to be weak, inconsiderate or unprofessional.

“I”

I run to fights no matter how outnumbered.
I stand and fight when others are at risk.
I draw my gun and fire when I could run and be safe, but in running, others would suffer.
I hold the hand of the young man lying under his car as he dies.
I carry the abused little boy to the ambulance and still must treat his monster of a father with kid gloves.
It means I change that tire for the old couple no matter how hard it rains.
It means I find the little lost girls parents and miss my daughter’s birthday; for the fifth time.
It means that Christmas and Thanksgiving are usually only moments long or celebrated on a different day.
More interrupted lunches than finished ones.

Why? Because I wear a badge.

And yet all that it is; it is nothing without the wearer, for the true enigma of The Badge is that it is defined by the wearer.

Yet so often the wearer feels defined by The Badge, and therein lies the problem.

The Badge does not make the Officer professional; the Professional Officer makes The Badge something to be proud of.

The Badge does not give the Officer restraint, the restrained Officer gives those that see The Badge trust.

The Badge does not make an Officer powerful; it gives the Officer the power to do what is right.

Like any manmade symbol a police badge can be corrupted. Also like those other symbols, it is most often defined by the actions of the wearer and does not define of its own accord.

That is something most difficult to teach the young officer or the officer that has a propensity to bully, or abuse those weaker than him. There are always going to be those that slip through the cracks of even the most rigorous of testing and qualification procedures.

The average citizen has the awesome responsibility to report those officers whose actions are not in keeping with the long and proud traditions of the professional police officer. It is in this way that we may limit the negative actions of those few that would soil this little piece of tin.

I am not making excuses, blaming anyone or making suggestions. We must all walk this life as we see fit and I am no different. I am simply relating to you what this little piece of tin means to me. I chose this life and would do so again for perhaps I have touched a life or two on my way.

I am not the man I am because I wear a badge; I wear a badge because I am the man I am.

Semper

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

And again I say:

Infinitus est numerus stultorum.

Where in your post do you mention "To protect and Serve?"

I once knew a chicken farmer who thought he was pretty cool to have climbed the ranks in the military. I'm not talking bad about chicken farmers, per se, I'm just saying that you seem like the type that if you wound a squirrel with the shot gun while hunting, and he hides in the hollowed out area of a tree where a branch used to be, you'd would but stroke that scumbag because you have the power to.

Do Ron Paul supporters have to become cops, too? To save the reputation of Badge wearers in general?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Interesting assessment of me.

I doubt anyone that knows me either on here or in RL would agree, but then all are allowed their perceptions...

As for Protect and Serve..

You are aware that is but a slogan adopted by some small amount of Police Agencies and is 1. indicative of nothing and 2. Holds no legal or moral binding?

If not, I would recommend some research and would be glad to provide you with the materials, online of course.

As for the squirrel, I don't hunt.

Semper

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Where is the tearing up emoticon when you need one?

Did you get bullied a lot when you were in school?

You think quite highly of yourself, do you not? I say you should protect and serve, and as a tax paying citizen, you get your paycheck from people like me. Right, mister Badge wearer?

Don't get me wrong. If you're truely a nice guy, I respect you and what you're doing. But posting some self gratifying BS about the Badge you wear reflects someone who is in need of counseling.

How much of the taxpayers time do you spend on ATS, anyway?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
One..

I am not paid with Tax money

Two..

Personal attacks are against the T and C

Might want to look at those..

Semper

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
One, if you wear a badge, you are paid by tax monies.

Two, I'm not making personal attacks, merely observations of what I take away from your post.

Read my posts.

"To Protect and Serve" may have been ignorant on my part. But that's what I was brought up to believe the Police were there for. And a better cop would not make arguements against that phrase, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Or have I mistaken the entire thread?

If you wear a badge, and you're not paid by taxes, then you must be a security guard.

My mistake.

In that case, I guess you'd be entitled to a little self gratification.

By the way, what's to say I'm not a police officer in the "RL."

[edit on 14-2-2008 by cryingindian]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Your condescending tone is not lost on me cyingindian. Your posts on this thread have offered nothing of substance to the conversation and it will cease and desist here. If your main goal here is to antagonize then please take it to another site.

Consider this a warning.

K1

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

You beat me to the punch. I agree with you 100%.

It takes real courage to speak from the heart. Semper has shared his deepest feelings about his job and his duty. Kudos to him.

[edit on 14-2-2008 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cryingindian

How in the world do you come to that conclusion? It's fairly obvious that you don't know Semper in the slightest.

Until you know more of him, I'd put a hold on your contempt and condescension were I you. You've already attracted the attention of two mods, probably more. Word to the wise.

Every word he wrote was about "protecting and serving". Only your bias would tell you otherwise.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wonderful and moving post as usual Semper.

I can assure you I have the utmost respect for you here and for officers of the law everywhere.

The sacrifices you and others make are not lost on me in the least my friend. God bless you.

-----

Oh and by the way, when the day comes we finally get to meet up for that dinner in Myrtle Beach....I'm buying!

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Nice post semper. You speak from your heart and I appreciate that. The world could use a bit more of that.

I have a question for you and if you chose not to answer it, I would certainly understand.

What do you make of the officers that we do hear about that abuse the power that the badge gives them? The ones that use it for selfish reasons.

I know many police officers; most embody everything that a cop should be. There are some however, that embody everything that a cop should not be. They believe that respect is given and not earned and I am curious how you feel personally about these type of officers.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I just wish that Law enforcement officers were paid more so that it would attract more people with a sense of honor like you Semperfortis.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
GAOTU789,

What do you make of the officers that we do hear about that abuse the power that the badge gives them? The ones that use it for selfish reasons.

They believe that respect is given and not earned and I am curious how you feel personally about these type of officers.

One of the big reasons I joined the force in the first place is that I HATE, I DETEST and I DESPISE a BULLY....

Many of you on here know me and know that I grew up very very poor. Dirt poor is an understatement as to my upbringing. I was constantly intimidated and "bullied" by all the kids that "had things." I decided to fight that, so it was off to the Marines and then the Police Force.

Officers like that are bullies plain and simple. They should be treated as such. I have found through the years that when a bully, wife beater, child molester or some other such animal is face to face with a man, they reveal themselves for what they truly are. Weak little people that prey on those smaller and weaker than themselves.

It is my life's work to fight these people. I shall never stop that battle as long as I can draw a breath.

The one good thing that comes out of this is the publicity. Thankfully this "person" (He is not deserving of the term 'cop') has been exposed before he causes real harm. Believe me, if he was not caught when he was, he would have progressed in his violent and bullying behavior until he really hurt or killed someone.

Now this may seem a little over the top to some due to the relative mild nature of this abuse, I see it differently. I see him for what he is and what he would eventually become. Not to mention that he has soiled this age old profession that he apparently has no regard for.

Fired
Criminal Charges

And GAOTU789, I have no problem speaking out and helping in some small way to expose evil in whatever form it may take. Call upon me at any time..

I also would like to thank everyone else that has come on and supported me, you are all the most wonderful group of friends a man could ask for...

Semper

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
SemperFortis, Sir:

I hope you saw my apology to you, posted as it's own thread. I'm still figuring things out, and had mistaken your post as being a self promotion thread.

If you'll have me, I'll meet you on the "high road" when I get there. I was also drinking a good amount of beer at the time of my posts, and have since made some lifestyle changes, so that my posts will not be so "reactionary."

So for what it's worth, sorry.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
We all make mistakes my friend..

Your apology is absolutely accepted and I will gladly meet you on the high road...

Semper

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hey, Semperfortis:

I appreciate that! I really do. I should probably U2U you on this subject, but I feel that if anyone can take anything worthwhile away from my previous ridiculous rants towards you, our correspondence should be seen in the open.

I mis-understood your post. And for that, I have apologized, and am truely sorry.

I recently read a "report" done by a peer, and I'd like to see what your response is to it:

www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads/papers/PoliceStaff/Unsorted/OATH%20&%20ETHICS.pdf

It's a very interesting paper, as it shows that as an officer, we all take an oath. But what's surprising is the ignorance with which that oath is taken.

I'd love to hear your response on this matter, with a complete understanding of where you are coming from, and if you feel that the outcome of the study I've presented could be translated to the legislative and executive branches of government.

Thank you for accepting my apology. And just so I make it perfectly clear, I know you stand appart from the "subjects" of the linked study.

[edit on 22-2-2008 by cryingindian]

[edit on 22-2-2008 by cryingindian]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It often is observed that in any policing, as in any profession, there are a few bad apples who "slip through the cracks" as you say.

In my area (Washington state) it is backwards of that--fine individual officers do exist, but the system overall is rotten.

At any given time there is an officer collecting 'paid administrative leave' for pulling over & molesting female motorists. I never would have imagined that an agency would pay a police salary to a jailbird, but that is now not uncommon. We had a King County sheriff's deputy who was convicted of murder, and now collects a police disability pension, intended for officers who are no longer able to serve due to a health issue. His disability? Depression, over his murder conviction.

All of this is in accord with the union contracts, so the majority of officers must like it that way.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I can only imagine that this would be the result of the "bad apples" making it into positions of higher authority.

If they are not rooted out early, they could then attain positions where they would set and enforce policy....

Sounds like that is what you have there my friend..

They had a similar situation in New Orleans recently and even the intervention of the Federal Authorities took a long time to root out all of the "bad apples." I think they are still working on much of it...

I would suggest calling your State Attorney General, as they are elected, they tend to listen to the citizen more closely...
Tell them of your concerns and your observations and demand that something be done..

Semper

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Thanks for your reply. As it happens, the head of our Washington State Patrol, John Batiiste, comes from New Orleans (NOPD if I remember correctly).

We don't exactly have NOPD style corruption, but a kinder/gentler corruption by rules & regs. A few years ago Seattle PD made the Wall Street Journal after 3 fingerprint officers filed workers' compensation claims after falling off their chairs.

Everyone in the fingerprint section then had to attend a class in chair-sitting safety. As a precaution a memo was issued prior to the class, saying, "Until the safety officer can come down and give the formal training, please inform all your employees to take hold of the arms, and get control of the chair before sitting down."

No joke, it really happened. (It was in the WSJ 3-24-99). It would be funny except that guys like me end up having to work OT to pay our taxes for this kind of thing.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply and for your service to our country.

top topics

join