It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where exacly does it say men shouldn't have long hair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I've heard from many people that Biblically men are not supposed to have long hair. The only story that I've been referred to is the story of Samson. But to me it says nothing about hair besides don't let it get cut.

I've heard the argument that a woman's crown is her hair, and a man is his woman.

But what's the significance of hair, really???

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
1st.Corinthians 11,14;Does not nuture itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishornor to him. Right now my hair is long.I'm keeping it long right now;because it help to keep my ears warm. But soon as it get warm. I'm getting it cut,like I always do.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by kennethmd]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Who cares? If someone has a problem with long hair, its just that, their problem.

My hair grows just to my shoulders and won't grow any longer. I like it like that and as a result I haven't had it cut in at least 15 years. I have to shampoo it every other day because if I shampoo it every day it dries out something terrible. Anyway,

There are problems with long hair, but thats the norm of society. If your going to be a banker or lawyer it probably helps to look the part. If you actually work for a living then most employers probably won't care. I've worked many jobs and have yet to find it's an issue.

Just my thoughts on it,

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by acegotflows
I've heard from many people that Biblically men are not supposed to have long hair. The only story that I've been referred to is the story of Samson. But to me it says nothing about hair besides don't let it get cut.

I've heard the argument that a woman's crown is her hair, and a man is his woman.

But what's the significance of hair, really???

For long hair, it is a special vow called the Nazirite vow. It is for man and woman of ancient Israel. It is not only the hair that is not allowed to be cut on this period, but a lot of disciplines as well:

Numbers 6:1-21

1 The Lord said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'If a man or woman wants to make a special vow, a vow of separation to the Lord as a Nazirite, 3 he must abstain from wine and other fermented drink and must not drink vinegar made from wine or from other fermented drink. He must not drink grape juice or eat grapes or raisins. 4 As long as he is a Nazirite, he must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds or skins. 5 "'During the entire period of his vow of separation no razor may be used on his head. He must be holy until the period of his separation to the Lord is over; he must let the hair of his head grow long. 6 Throughout the period of his separation to the Lord he must not go near a dead body. 7 Even if his own father or mother or brother or sister dies, he must not make himself ceremonially unclean on account of them, because the symbol of his separation to God is on his head.

So, the long hair is simply a symbol of separation to God as a Nazarite and a dedication to God after the vow is over. He must cut it off to offer to God:

18 "'Then at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting, the Nazirite must shave off the hair that he dedicated. He is to take the hair and put it in the fire that is under the sacrifice of the fellowship offering. 19 "'After the Nazirite has shaved off the hair of his dedication, the priest is to place in his hands a boiled shoulder of the ram, and a cake and a wafer from the basket, both made without yeast.

So, the long hair mentioned here is just a form of discipline of a vow, to fulfill its requirement for men and women. No gender specific. After this period, they need to shave it off as an offering.

This has totally nothing to do with a man wearing long hair whether its shameful or not or whether drinking wine is unclean or going near a dead body. It is just for a vow for ancient Israel who wishes to undertake the vow for personal reasons.

This is just a vow and it doesn't change anything. It is still shameful for a man to wear long hair as it is shameful for a man to wear make up or a bra.

I don't wear long hair simply because I'm not a girl. lol. What belongs to a man belongs to a man, what belongs to a woman belongs to a woman.

1 Corinthians 11:14

Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him

We have a social construct that makes this unacceptable and a disgrace for Christians and Jews.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I think this advocation to short hair is made in order to seem more like the romans. Roman soldiers wore short hair to aid in war. I think our tradition has developed from this as our society is derived from Roman society.

I just think it is better for men to have short hair. Especially if they are balding as many Romans appear in antiquity. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Isn't there something in Leviticus also?

Or is that just where you shouldn't cut the hair at the side of your head?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Now I know this isn't really Jesus but whoever this guy is...his hair looks pretty long.

Why would the person they use to depict jesus have long hair?

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain

Now I know this isn't really Jesus but whoever this guy is...his hair looks pretty long.

Why would the person they use to depict jesus have long hair?

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Roland Deschain]

Simply because they want to continue their pagan tradition they are so used to where they worship an androgynous (both male and female) deity. That is why this false Christ has a long hair of a woman, effectively depicting this image as having the attributes of both male and female.

This is evident in Quan Yin:

In Chinese art before the Tang dynasty, Kuan Yin was also usually perceived as masculine, though literary and anecdotal evidence from as early as the fifth century points to a sexual transformation of this bodhisattva.

www.purifymind.com...

And, Shiva who takes the form of Ardhanari:

Shiva also takes the form of Ardhanari, his androgynous form. The right side of the sculpture is Shiva and the left side is Parvati. The attributes of each are split directly down the middle. Another example of Shiva's apparent synthesis of male and female attributes is seen in his earrings. He wears one earring in the style of a man and the other as a female as shown in the two different earrings Shiva wears.

[edit on 2/13/2008 by amitheone]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by acegotflows

MAN IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE LONG HAIR, SO IT IS A DIVINE COMMANDMENT AT THE FIRST FIVE BOOKS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT.
HE STARTED TO CUT IT WHEN ONLY VIOLENT AND ODD THINKINGS TOOK HIS MIND: NAZI, INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION, SLAVENESS IN ALL SENSES, ETC.
BOTH NATURE AND GOD HIMSELF CREATED MAN TO HAVE LONGER HAIR, THAT WHY IT GETS LONG!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Paul also says that women should never go without having their heads covered. No one in my church follow that. If the verse ever is brought up, people sit real still and let it pass.
It has to do with cultural traditions and was used (the long hair thing) as an example to a bigger argument and Paul did not make it an actual issue.
The Roman Senate would send home politicians if they showed up without a fresh shave. It may have been related to barbarians, with long hair who were considered uncouth.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Let's read what is really being said here.

1 Corinthians 11:14-16

14) Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?
15)But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.
16)BUT IF ANYONE SEEMS TO BE CONTENTIOUS, WE HAVE NO SUCH CUSTOM, NOR DO THE CHURCHES OF GOD.

Now I've mentioned this all over the ATS/BTS religion boards to not read a simple verse in the bible when there's a whole story behind that verse. Paul was explaining that nature teaches that a man with long hair is dishonorable and then goes on to say that the churches of God have no such custom. So the New Testament actually tells us to not worry about nature's law but rather worry about God's laws. There are 10 laws of God to follow but by following 2 of them, you follow all 10. Love God and Love your neighbor. Loving God is shown by following the first 4 commandments and Loving your neighbor is shown by following the final 6 commandments. Nowhere in there does it say NOT to have long hair.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

Females started using hair long, NOT because they're female. Manking put them aside since the beginning of the ages. Man, otherwise, have been required by the slaveness of the Capitalism system, that came as a substitute for the ancient slaveness market. So, a real man was supposed to use long hair, so it is a sign of strenght and self concern. That's because Samuel, Samson, James, Moses, Gideon, The Sikh Warriors, The Ancient Samurais, etc. use long hair. LONG HAIR MEANS A NATURAL GIFT FOR MEN.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennethmd
1st.Corinthians 11,14;Does not nuture itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishornor to him. Right now my hair is long.I'm keeping it long right now;because it help to keep my ears warm. But soon as it get warm. I'm getting it cut,like I always do.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by kennethmd]

that verse is not a law, just a cultural thing.

just as it is today.

god doesnt care one wit about how long your hair is, if it was a big deal, it would have been the 11th commandment:

"thou shalt sport a bitchin' mohawk"

righteous!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If we had hair on the head we wouldn't be male now would we??

Sometimes I think we're the only species that seems to have image problem!!

You could always get female hormone or hell just glue a wig up there damn hippies

top topics

join