It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problems with legalizing Gay Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Before i have a small army of gay activists flaming me back to the stone age, this is not meant to bash them, this post just questions whether or not it would be a good idea to legalize it.

First, whether you like it or not, a gay marriage is based solely and entirely on lust. You want them, and (hopefully) they want you. Very shallow. It may make you happy, but it still shallow.
Heterosexual marriage can also be based on lust. However, the POINT and main GOAL of marriage is to create a family. The married couple produce children, raise them, teach them, and prepare them to live and survive, and start families of their own. A family unit, whether romantic or not, is about creating, raising, and training offspring.
The entire purpose of family has been wrapped up into one, blunt, unromantic nutshell right there.
Now, the purpose of marriage is to create a family. If there is no family created, then the marriage is no use beyond satisfying the other's wants, and allowing them to share government and insurance benefits. They might as well just live together.
So, if gay people cannot procreate, and by adopting, they will just be training more to not procreate, then the marriage is useless. In other words, gay marriage doesn't serve a purpose in basic society. REPEAT: i am not bashing it, i am just presenting the cold, brutal logic.

Now, with that behind us, legalizing gay marriage would rapidly degrade into other, more unpleasant things. Polygamy, incest, and bestiality would not be long in following. With polygamy, the society would be totally turned on its collective head. You would have a woman who could be married to three different men and another woman, and each of those "spouse" would have other connections. The concept of family, which, like it or not, is the basic building block of society, would disintegrate. Children, who already suffer sever psychological problems from coming from broken or homosexual homes (which often become broken homes) would be totally messed up.

Society as we know it would dissolve into a hate-filled, lust based, rape powered anarchy.

If you want to sleep with a person of the same sex, why do you need a certificate?
Famed gay actor John Barrowman had this to say:
"We're just going to sign the civil register. We're not going to have any ceremony because I'm not a supporter of the word marriage for a gay partnership."
The divorce rate in countries that have legalized gay marriage has skyrocketed, because once the partner has stopped pleasing you, there is no reason for the couple to stay together.

With these basic facts, do you still think it's a good idea to legalize gay marriage?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I believe marriage should be an option for gay couples.

I understand that marriage has religious implications, and that these religions may oppose homosexuality. So I can see the issue at hand. But it's narrow mindedness is gagging. Homosexuality has existed since heterosexuality has, and with the exception of the overt stigma on the obvious.. both are as natural as the sky is blue. We're taught that little boys are supposed to like little girls and all that jazz, but is presumed heterosexuality logical?

You have stated that the premise of a marriage is to create a family. You have implicated that marriage is family, and family is procreation. Since when? Since when is a man and wife, or man and man, or woman and woman, not a family in and of itself? Since when do we need to procreate in order to consider ourselves a family? I'm in my early twenties so I haven't had a child yet, but I have lived with my girlfriend for several years and we have two pets. Are we not a family until she gives birth? I'm sorry but I think that's ludicrous.

A family is what you make it.

You ask why two men need a certificate. Well, why do men and women need one? Because they want to.

Homosexual relationships are based on the same premises as heterosexual relationships. To say that all homosexual relationships are purely based on lust, well it's a misrepresentation in my opinion.

Love is love, regardless of the genders involved.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
We're taught that little boys are supposed to like little girls and all that jazz, but is presumed heterosexuality logical?

You have stated that the premise of a marriage is to create a family. You have implicated that marriage is family, and family is procreation. Since when? Since when is a man and wife, or man and man, or woman and woman, not a family in and of itself? Since when do we need to procreate in order to consider ourselves a family?

First of all, we are designed (or evolved if you prefer) for heterosexual intercourse. Come on. If you can't tell that Part "A" fits into Slot "B" then you need to go over basic anatomy. No matter "Gay Gene" theories emerge, we are all born heterosexual. Now whether we become gay in our teens, or even in our sixties, that's a personal issue.
No matter what kind of romantic ideas society has created to explain and rationalize family, it isn't just a "Spykids" style of relationships. I simply took the terms to their most basic, logical meanings to try and explain the problem.
Our society spends too much time rationalizing and justifying our emotions, rather than using our brains.

new topics

join