It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where in the bible does it say that women cant be ministers?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

It's not referring to ministration, but to leadership.
The Pastorate.

Maybe the subject of this thread should read:
"Is Ministration and Menstruation Possible?"

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

It's not referring to ministration, but to leadership.
The Pastorate.

Being a minister, is a form of leadership as we're to lead via example.

Remembered another scripture too:

Acts 18:26
He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. After Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him home and explained the way of God to him more accurately.

[edit on 23-2-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
thank you for all of the replies and the information put forth. I still believe that women would make great leaders in the church. I believe that too many people pick and choose what they want to take from the Bible and use it in many ways. So, I choose to believe that a woman can lead you to salvation as well as a man.

thanks,

Kafer

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Some noted women of the Bible....

DEBORAH.

Judges 4;4-5.

4.And Deborah,a prophetess,the wife of Lapidoth,she judged Israel at that time.5.And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim:and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment.

JUNIA./PRISCILLA./TRYPHENA./JULIA./PHOEBE,etc

Romans 16:1-16.

1.I commend unto you Phebe our sister,which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:2.That ye receive her in the Lord,as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
3.Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
4.Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks,but also all the churches of the Gentiles.
5.Likewise greet the church that is in their house.Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus,who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.
6.Greet Mary,who bestowed much labour on us.
7.Salute Andronicus and Junia,my kinsmen,and my fellow-prisoners,who are of note among the apostles,who also were in Christ before me.
8.Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.
9.Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
10.Salute Apelles approved in Christ.Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.
11.Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.
12.Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.
13.Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
14.Salute Asyncritus,Phlegon,Hermas,Patrobas,Hermes,and the brethren which are with them.
15.Salute Philologus,and Julia,Nereus,and his sister,and Olympas,and all the saints which are with them.
16.Salute one another with an holy kiss.The churches of Christ salute you.

(I find this passage of great interest because Paul himself confirms that there were female apostles,and he does not condemn them,he salutes them along with the male apostles!)

PRISCILLA.(continued)

ACTS 18:24-26.

24.And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures,came to Ephesus.25.This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit,he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26.And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard,they took him unto them,and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

1 CORINTHIANS 16:19.

19.The churches of Asia salute you.Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord,with the church that is in their house.

ANNA.

Luke 2:36-38.

36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel,of the tribe of Aser:she was of a great age,and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years,which departed not from the temple,but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.

HULDAH & the Mother of MAHER-SHALAL-HASH-BAZ were both prophets.

JOEL 2:28.

28.And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,your old men shall dream dreams,your young men shall see visions.

GALATIANS 4:26-29.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.28 There is neither Jew nor Greek there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.29 And if ye be Christ's,then are ye Abraham's seed,and heirs according to the promise.

NUMBERS 12:29.

29 And Moses said unto him,Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD's people were prophets,and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

Phillip had 4 daughters who prophesied.Acts 21:9.

Both the Hebrew "Nebrah",and Greek "Proph" used for prophetess means female preacher.(See Young's Concordance, Pg. 780.)

(note also:The first message of the Resurrection of Christ was spoken by women to a group of men.)

1 Corinthians 15:34-35.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

(If Paul intended this verse as a general rule to bar all women from speaking in church,then they cannot teach Sunday School, testify,pray,prophesy,sing,or even get saved,and this would contradict the rest of the Bible!!)

(another contradiction)

1 Timothy 2:13-14.

13 For Adam was first formed,then Eve.14 And Adam was not deceived,but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Romans 5:12.

Wherefore,as by one man sin entered into the world.

You may also want to look up these women from the early Christian era....
Thecla,Melania the Elder, Melania the Younger and Syncletica.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by jakyll]

[edit on 25-2-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

posted on 13-2-2008 @ 03:18 PM single this post

Women are allowed to sing, give testimony, and prophesy.
Not TAKE over the Church.

That's basically what I said there.
How could Junia be an apostle?
I thought there were only 12 official ones?

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

How could Junia be an apostle?

An apostle is just another name for a missionary of the early Christian Church.

Many people believe that the 12 just preached about Jesus,but the 4 Gospels contain verses such as this,

Mark 3:14-15.

14 And he ordained twelve,that they should be with him,and that he might send them forth to preach,15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:

(slightly off topic,but it shows that Jesus was not the only one who could do miracles.Faith and belief gave the apostles the power.many Christian religions fail to teach their followers this.it also shows that people don't read their Bibles properly as many on here can pick out Paul's quote yet know nothing of the verses that contradict it.)

Jesus Himself said,

Matthew 23:34.

34 Wherefore,behold,I send unto you prophets and wise men,and scribes:and some of them ye shall kill and crucify;and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

He tells us that others will come after Him,that they will continue to spread His teachings.And,as the quotes in my earlier post show,women can also be prophets.(preachers.)

[edit on 26-2-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This isn't a Christ versus Paul boxing match. Paul does not contradict Christ neither did Christ teach something Paul didn't. Paul wrote letters to deal with a specific problem in an early church and he resolved that problem well. He uses his contexts very carefully, he says "I" when he means I and "Christ" when he means Christ. Paul made a number of remarkable statements enabling women in the church (even quoted on this thread). Included in this as well is the freedom for women to *not* marry. Historically and culturally this was unheard of. Women having the right to contribute to society without being "barefoot and pregnant"? How absurd! Paul understood the importance of women in society, just as Christ did.

[edit on 26-2-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Apologies,my quotes from Numbers and Galatians should be;

Numbers 11:29,not 12:29.

and

Galatians 3:26-29,not 4:26-29.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

It is thinking like yours that has created a false God in the world today. You can't pick and choose or "my opinion is this..." your way to God. The Bible is blatantly clear about women and anyone who doesn't follow this will remain lost until they change.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join