It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: College Republicans Bait Race Issue

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well, isn't this the eay of republicans. Do something deplorable and when it backfires say "Can't we all just get along?"

How is a white scholarship any more deplorable than a black, brown, red, yellow or freaking green scholarship?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
How is a white scholarship any more deplorable than a black, brown, red, yellow or freaking green scholarship?

In a sense it's not. I DO see where you are coming from and wish things were perfect but they are not.

The fact is when the Southern Baptists come up with $50,000 for scholarships a year they are IN EFFECT white scholarships. Fine. But what this kid did was not anything but stir poop and bait the race issue.

Another fact, if we didn't have Affirmative Action, we'd have to invent something just like it. Georgia Tech was a client of mine. It's number #1 recruitment problem: NO FREAKING BLACKS. Maybe you'd be okay with a world with 1 or 2 % of those in higher education being represented by minorities, telling yourself, "well they had an equal chance" but they don't statistically.

It's a fact that you are less likely to go to college being born a minotity than otherwise. While it may be TRUE that technically you have an equal chance of getting there, it doesn't work out that way. Would it really be okay with you seeing hardly any minorities in college as long as you could tell yourself it was fairer? Or you could point to one or two that "made it" by their boot straps?

Like I've said a million times, if you're not a minority it doesn't effect you. The NAACP wasn't going to make a scholarship for just anyone, so it's not taking money from you. The AA programs in college go out of their way to reach out to communities to find some stars in the minority community, so in effect they get better applicants than if they just let whatever happens happen. Again, qualified applicants. They just make sure they get SOME of color rather than none.

Why do you care anyway? Not you personlly but WHY is THIS seemingly every Conservative's favorite issue? Most seem to have gotten into college or gotten jobs just fine with Affirmative Action around. So what's the freaking problem? "It's not fair...it's not fair...waaaa."

Better than it was, or would be without it. Besides crying "it's not fair" for years got those on the wrong side of the issue lynched. It's not forever. It's just trying to help. You don't suffer anything near like what whole groups would suffer without it. Besides, my school (magnet), college, work and love life (rawr) have been substantially improved through the diversification of integration. So why complain?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

So why complain?

To begin with I am not a conservitive I am a Librertarian, it not groups or churches I have a problem with it the government.

To be honest I dont really care. I just dont see how two wrongs make a right and never will. To me what you are saying is a thousand times worse in essence saying that blacks, women, etc are to stupid to make it on there on.

For me as long as the government is not involved it does not matter but what you are backing is government sponsered racisim.

If a church , group, or org. gives out scholarship to there own people I dont have any problem with it black brown or white.

Its the GOVERNMENT saying you have to hire blacks or women or whites that I dont like.

How is a white being turned away because there skin color any less a crime than a black?

To me the ONLY way to stop racisim is to STOP it. EVERYWHERE. Not just change the victoms and call it justice

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Maybe you'd be okay with a world with 1 or 2 % of those in higher education being represented by minorities, telling yourself, "well they had an equal chance" but they don't statistically.

No I WOULD be OK with a world where EVERYONE that could went to collage. Not just the rich and those chosen by the Government

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Oh I get it if a left of centre supporter did this it would be okay because society deserves your pity?

Sorry ain't buyin' it.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
To me what you are saying is a thousand times worse in essence saying that blacks, women, etc are to stupid to make it on there on.

You may not be Conservative but on this issue you use their propaganda and issue twisting hook line and sinker.

No AA proponent says what you just said... that some group is too stupid to make it on thier own. What they do say is history compounded with institutionalized racism makes it harder to get a fair shake. You seem to be taking for granted that promoting diversity somehow hurts you. I merely submit it doesn't.

At some point this becomes like arguing the reporductive rights issue. Too bad, so sad. You lose.

AA is supported 100% by both acedemia, the government and corporate america. Elected Republicans adhere to it in creating appointed positions. Only malcontents that can't do a damn thing about it complain. While I appreciate malcontents, oh well. You're just braying at the moon.

News Flash: Pat Buchanon LOST big time on this issue. So did David Duke.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT.

Most seem to have gotten into college or gotten jobs just fine with Affirmative Action around. So what's the freaking problem? "It's not fair...it's not fair...waaaa."

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
"You may not be Conservative but on this issue you use their propaganda and issue twisting hook line and sinker."

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day....LOL

"No AA proponent says what you just said... that some group is too stupid to make it on thier own."

Of course they dont
"
What they do say is history compounded with institutionalized racism makes it harder to get a fair shake."

Sounds a lot better than you cant make it without our help but amounts to the same thing. Your heart is in the right place but it still dont make it right.

"You seem to be taking for granted that promoting diversity somehow hurts you. I merely submit it doesn't."

It doesnt hurt me but how about someone that is turned away from collage SOLELY because of the fact that they are white. Is it any less racisit because they were white?

"At some point this becomes like arguing the reporductive rights issue. Too bad, so sad. You lose."

I didnt lose anything, I am for womens rights to control there own body. And get equal pay, equal chance at collage, fair treatment in the courts,etc, Blacks too, and Midgets and Eskimos and Muslims and Jews, etc. The key word is equal.

"AA is supported 100% by both acedemia, the government and corporate america. Elected Republicans adhere to it in creating appointed positions. Only malcontents that can't do a damn thing about it complain. While I appreciate malcontents, oh well. You're just braying at the moon."

They used to say the same about slavery too but did that make it right? I guess all those losers should have just shut up and left the blacks and women in chains after there was nothing they could do about it except bay at the moon right........LOL

News Flash: Pat Buchanon LOST big time on this issue. So did David Duke.

I am glad they lost both were idiots. I am not a KKKer or a Neo Nazi I am a Libertarian we believe in liberty and justice for all, look it up.

I think this effort could be better spent making sure that EVERYONE had a chance to a collage education instead barring some because of there race. Why should allowing one person an even break mean that we have to cheat another? And just because of the color of there skin......What do they call that again? ....Oh yeah racisim......LOL

And AGAIN I ask the question how is it less racisit just because the person being turned away because they are the wrong color is white?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I could care less if they have scholarships.

As to the college entrance, there really should be a number system.

No name, sex, race, etc. Just a number.

If you want affermative action, something that might be more effective in a "fair shake" would be for people of any race going to a sub-standard public school (as if that does not discribe most of them, but you know what I mean).

By the numbers, there are quite a good deal of poor white areas where the schools suck. They not only get piss poor schools, but aren't given any boost by the fact that the government failed them.

Ah well. I say blind selection, it is only fair that way.

Take away affermative action, legacy (for sure), and other preferencial programs.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well, if you black you in, you white, you aren't. This isn't reverse discrimination, this IS discrimination. Also, America has a ban on Ex Post Facto Laws, meaning you can't get in trouble for something that wasn't a crime when you did it.

EX: Speed limit is 45. You drive at 45 on that road one time a day for a year. Two weeks after the end of the year the limit is dropped to 35. A cop comes up to your house and gives you 365 speeding tickets for going 45 in a area that is now 35. Can't happen, why? Ban on Ex Post Facto laws. You can't hold someone legally for owning slaves, when it wasn't a crime when they did. Hell, the people today never owned slaves! There great grandparnts maybe, but not them! Hell, my great great grandfather fought for the UNION! He fought against the south. Yet if I want a scholarship, I need good grades, or need to do something special. I can't go well, I'm this race, give me free money.

But know what? I have indian blood in me, so will use that. Also, Indians came from Asia, so I can use asian. Also, Russia is in Asia, making me asian for having Russian in me.

But the best way to do things is by numbers, no race, sex, nothing like that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join