It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: College Republicans Bait Race Issue

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The student group of College Republicans at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.

CNN.com

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness." The application warns would-be suitors that "evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants."

The administration has elected to stay out of the fray allowing the group to take out the full page ad in the university's weekly paper.

Jason Mattera, 20, who is president of the College Republicans, said the group is parodying minority scholarships. Ironically, Mattera who is of Puerto Rican descent, is himself a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group.

Please comment among yourselves as I'm still laughing at this hypocrite too hard to do so.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussions:
What Exactly is an African American?
Democrats Support Affirmative Action

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

This is why EVERYONE hates young republicans, even their parents.

The funniest thing is, RWU is an extremely liberal university (their site say's so... ALOT) so i can see these oafs being expelled.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't think they're being expelled as being stupid is a right of passage in college, but I do sincerely hope every affirmative action minded corporate recruiter in the Fortune 500 remembers one name to their grave...

JASON MATTERA!

Apparently he likes being a scandalous jerk. A google search on his name brought up DOZENS of articles about the school's politics... like this from October:

Student newsletter loses funds over views on gays
Roger Williams University President Roy Nirschel says the College Republicans stepped over the lines of propriety and respect, prompting a debate over free speech.

www.yaf.org...

It's fun! Learn about JASON MATTERA for yourself. Google it. He's made quite a name for himself at the tender age of 20.

And when that resume comes across your fax one day....

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There's only one word for this...idiots.

(actually I could think of many more, but...)

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
He's live on CNN right now talking about the disadvantaged kids of caucasion decent in a snide little tone.

Asked how he takes a minority scholarship and parodies them alike? Hmmm, I'm listening to alot of words... but not hearing any explanation.

WOOT WOOT! CNN just asked Don't you think the way to make a statement is to give back your own $5,000 minority scholarship???

Jason Mattera's answer: Hispanic is not a race. Black is...

HYPOCRITE thy name is MATTERA!

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's wrong to give awards to people based on skin color. It doesn't matter what color that they are. This is simply a parody on affirmative action.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Personally I think it's great and funny to boot.

To point out the rediculousness of somethings in this country is what we Americans do best.

Not that I like this kid, hell, I don't know much about him, but it's still funny.

Watch the minority watchdogs come out of the woodwork on this.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
About Time! Wondeful. Nice to see the white race standing up for itself again. Is it too late though? I wonder.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Good way to fight affirmative action. They are picking on it cause its for white people, if it was for black people the lefties would turn the eye. If there are scholarships excluisivly for minorities why can't there be ones for whites?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That is great news. Now if only white people could get some of those large scholarships that are given away to other minorities. Black people will more than likely be appaled at this, but I say too bad.

If blacks, mexicans, amish, and whoever else can get scholarships why the hell cant there be a white only scholarship. Not that I am saying they should be based on color, but as long as this system works this way why not have a white scholarship.

Its to bad college has to give stuff away on race alone because achievements is what matters, but affirmative action has made it this way.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for all the wealthy black americans to help africa. But I dream on...

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Alright we have got BET, Miss Black America, Black Only Colleges, and African American College Fund. Didn't we abolish that seperate but equal thing back in the 60's? Apparantly Blacks want to have their cake and eat it too.

Listen Affirmative Action is a load of BS. Sure there are racists whites in the world but there are also racists blacks( a fact that seems to escape everyone). AA only serves to destroy the ideal of hard work and leads to a society in which people beleive they should have everything handed to them.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
BJ, you bring up a good point. I was at the mall the other day in a high class "whiter" portion of town that was filled with well, mainly whites. This group of black kids no more than 20 years old are walking around wearing Black Panther shirts. Now, to the black guy this is fine because well they can do whatever they want because after all they are black.
The point is if that was a group of white kids in a largely populated "black" mall wearing a white power shirt then they probably wouldve had there asses kicked and thrown in jail and wouldve made the 10 o' clock news because after all, we can't hurt the black mans feelings like that.

Equal rights my ass, its all about "I want more rights and still bitch about it." Maybe if they ever thought of it from a logical point of view and wanted true equal rights, then they wouldnt have such a rift between the two races.
I just dont understand the big deal, blacks, whites, mexicans are all the same people with different skin tones......So FRICKIN WHAT??? My daughter aint as tan as me, should I not like her because she is a little different.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Equality and racism were designed as reasons to justify wealth and power transfer. To a degree they have been justified and operated successfully. But if unchecked they can destroy a country, a people, a culture and a race. This cannot be allowed to happen.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think its pretty hilarious. This has been brewing for a while probably. I expected it sooner or later.

Whats next? Hopefully White Entertainment Television (WET)

Woohooo!
Then we can get on with the United Caucasian College Fund, or the Fund for Underprivelidged Caucasian Klansmen (#)...........HAHAHAHAHA...........oh. Ok. Ill stop.
This is pretty freakin funny though.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Exactly right "can't we all just get along" in the famous words of Rodney King. But, we can't as long as there is African American College funds, Miss Black America, or even the term African American because with it we will always be different.

I think that it is sad because the Black population wants everyone to think of them as underpriviledged. When is the last time you have heard a mexican scream discrimination? It may have happened but it don't happen near as much as it does with blacks.

Just before MLK day my daughter came home and told me about what she had learned in school that day. She said that a man came in to teach them about Martin Luther King and I said thats great, did you learn about what he did for people. She said no. I said well what did you learn then. She said that she learned that MLK taught people that you were supposed to love brown people no matter what they do. I sat her down and set her straight right that moment and taught her what MLK really did. The next day I called the board of ed and filed a complaint.

Oh one last thing my daughter is in Kindergarden.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
God I love it now we can hear the hypocrites crying about how its stupid and racist this is ......hell I agree, but is it any more racist than a black only scholarship?

I will ask this ONE MORE TIME.........LOL

How is it?

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Exactly right "can't we all just get along" in the famous words of Rodney King. But, we can't as long as there is African American College funds, Miss Black America, or even the term African American because with it we will always be different.

I think that it is sad because the Black population wants everyone to think of them as underpriviledged. When is the last time you have heard a mexican scream discrimination? It may have happened but it don't happen near as much as it does with blacks.

Just before MLK day my daughter came home and told me about what she had learned in school that day. She said that a man came in to teach them about Martin Luther King and I said thats great, did you learn about what he did for people. She said no. I said well what did you learn then. She said that she learned that MLK taught people that you were supposed to love brown people no matter what they do. I sat her down and set her straight right that moment and taught her what MLK really did. The next day I called the board of ed and filed a complaint.

Oh one last thing my daughter is in Kindergarden.

Whoa! Why such a heavy trip on a kid in kindergarten? I don't disagree with your comments in principle but your application is a bit heavy handed don't you think?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I guess everyone missed the part where this kid Mattera is only in college able to bash minority scholarships because he's there on a $5,000 scholarship of his own for hispanics?

If you missed it the first time this is officially the dumbest Republican in America:

Who wants to be runner up?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What there's a hispanic that is Conservative! Wow! This warrants its own thread! Mucho!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join