It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled dumped out of wheelchair by cops( You've got to see this video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Disabled man dumped out of wheelchair by cops( You've got to see this video)

www.cnn.com

While in the custody of Florida authorities, a quadriplegic sitting in his wheelchair was dumped to the floor. WTSP reports.

TAMPA - Sheriff's officials are investigating why a deputy in a jail booking video appears to dump a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair.

Hillsborough sheriff's spokesman J.D. Callaway said the agency is looking into what happened to Brian D. Sterner, 32, during his Jan. 29 booking at the Orient Road Jail, after a television reporter confronted Callaway with the jail's own video.

Footage aired on WTSP-Ch. 10 Monday night showed a uniformed officer unseating Sterner from his chair, then searching him as he lay on the floor where he had fallen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sptimes.com

[edit on 12-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I think this story and video speaks for itself...there is no excuse for the police dumping a quadrepalegic out of his wheelchair. The police-state and their lack of concern for anyone...even the disabled.

This Police department should be sued!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is Bush's America. The disabled are viewed as a drain on society and not worthy to live. Believe me, I've talked to enough Republicans to get the full drivel that makes me want to hurl.

We add in the power mad authoritarians who have gone insane under the Bush permissiveness, and we end up with a total disregard for human life and dignity.

Hence, disabled dump...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Although not an excuse, what do we really expect?

If the officer in question was of normal intelligence she wouldn't dump someone out of a chair to determine if he was actually paralyzed.

If you haven't seen it yet, the movie "Idiocracy" explores what will happen as our civilization crumbles and the general population becomes uneducated, grunting morons.

Although the movie is hilarious, it's quite a scary scenario to consider that a good percentage of those sworn to protect and serve are only doing so because they couldn't find work anywhere else.

It's easier to give 'em a tazer than actually train someone.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AWingAndASigh

This is not "bush's" America.

This is OUR America.

This is OUR degenerative lifestyle.

This is OUR fault, not Bush's, and not because we elected him.

It goes so far deeper then "whos the president" it goes to the deepest recesses of this countries SOCIETY ..

We are a sick complacent people, and this is a norm, will continue to be a norm, and only escalate.

Blame the politicians all you want.

Its OUR fault.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Ugh, I can already see a 50-page argument in the making. I hope somebody stops this before it starts.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Comma8Comma1

I LOVE that movie. It is the Western World wrapped up quite nicely ..

The Food Stamp nation will continue degrading and society will continue sinking and police throwing handicap victims on the floor will be the least of our problems.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

The reason why I blame Bush is because he's totally disregarded all politicial views except his own. He's made Republicanism the only game in town. Consequently, the voices that would normally skewer those who espouse these kinds of views never get heard. And the problem escalates.

Before Bush got in office, I used to think the President had no real power at all. However, I've been educated and I realize that the President has a LOT OF FREAKING POWER!

Not only has Bush made rabid Republicanism fashionable, he's embraced the wacko way far out there right wing fashionable. They're not just conservative, they're crazy out of their mind conservative.

And all those welfare/disabled/public assistance bashers is where this attitude comes from.

Guess who's been talking that stuff up ever since he got in office? And beats up on anyone who disagrees?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The devolution and dehumanization of US society continues apace.

How does that old Mafia saying go? The fish stinks from the head.

You have an executive branch that writes its own laws, waterboards, and calls the Constitution "that damn piece of paper" and here is your result. The disabled thrown to the floor by those sworn to protect and serve us.

I'm only surprised he wasn't tasered first.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Police have always done things like this, people is positions of power in general always have a few that do not know how to handle it. We just have tapes of it now. Let me be clear , there are A LOT of great hard working officers, and in this country a much needed thing.

I also have to agree, we are to blame for being so complacent why we let our elected leaders do as they see fit, rather then making a stink of it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Unless of course you happen to be handicapped? Then I guess it would matter. There is something called the Americans with Disabilities act....I don't think this type of action by police is part of it.....and oh btw....perhaps we can kick some dogs while were at it!

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I believe there is some truth to the assumption that the "rot at the top" trickles down.

Of course, no one in their right mind could possibly attempt to justify what is seen on that video.

But, I'll wait.

[edit on 2/12/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So, (using your logic) the female African American officer in the video is a rabid Republican
hell bent on abusing the poor, weak, and handicapped because Bush is in office?

I'm more inclined to believe that she is a poorly educated person who finally called the 1-800 number about law enforcement training while watching Maury one weekday afternoon and now just punches a clock for a few years until a nice pension will be waiting for her rather large rear-end.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is only "our fault" if the people in charge in that area do not fire the deputy, and the individual does not sue the police department for incompetence, along with total disregard of personal rights. The blatant disrespect of those officers is appalling. The charge was a traffic violation to begin with, and I can only imagine that other more serious charges were, or will be added, to cloud the issue of PO's dumping the man on the floor.
Disgusting!

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

Er, why is that directed at me? Makes no sense. I never condoned this at all?
Perhaps you are confused.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thamm1984

Officer "Dumper" was fired.

The other oblivious morons in the room were suspended pending review.

Apparently no report was filed within the jail regarding the incident

Well, no report has YET to be filed, this story is getting heavy play on CNN so I'm sure
there will be a scramble to make things appear as if everything is A-OK.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by realmatrix

Unless of course you happen to be handicapped? Then I guess it would matter. There is something called the Americans with Disabilities act....I don't think this type of action by police is part of it.....and oh btw....perhaps we can kick some dogs while were at it!

Well, Barney hasn't been out in public lately.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I love it as well!
Too bad it didn't do all that well in the theaters.

Though I'm not surprised considering it's making fun of it's target demographic.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comma8Comma1

So, (using your logic) the female African American officer in the video is a rabid Republican
hell bent on abusing the poor, weak, and handicapped because Bush is in office?

I'm more inclined to believe that she is a poorly educated person who finally called the 1-800 number about law enforcement training while watching Maury one weekday afternoon and now just punches a clock for a few years until a nice pension will be waiting for her rather large rear-end.

I'm disabled. I've experienced the abuse - and the political views behind it - first hand. Which is why I said what I did.

Do I know beyond any doubt that it played a role in the case in question? No - I'm not a mind reader. But we certainly have an environment that encourages it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

good one WING.....I have'nt had a good laugh all day!!! Keep the dogs inside!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join