It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS writers forum future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
IMHO, I think this is a great forum.

For many years I have wanted to write a lot more seriously than I used to.
Apart from what I've written here in the last week or so, the only other creative story writing I've ever done was at school nearly 30 years ago.

To be honest, I am amazed and surprised that others here have enjoyed the three short stories I've recently posted. And I'd like to thank you all for your ever so kind comments.

My question is, Where does ATS stand on the promotion of this forum?
I found it by accident and would otherwise never have written. How many others out there in ATS land have thought of writing but never felt they had the confidence for it?
How many would love to write but are put off of the idea of going to publishers or had their work rejected?

If this forum became more visible over ATS territory then maybe all these 'lost' others will get their chance to spew their visions onto digital paper.

Looking at the other stories here, there are those who have an amazing flare for writing and it's a shame that only a few people are actively viewing and/or commenting on their work.

Getting published was one of the main reasons why I've not written before. The hassle of going to publishers and then placing your trust in them to print and distribute your work, if they accepted it.

Here, everyone gets a chance to write what they want, when they want and , potentially, millions could see their work.

Maybe as time goes on and more stories are written, this forum might have t expand in some manner for which a library will be required so that horror goes to one section, sci-fi in another etc..

So, 'fess up mods...what say you?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Keep in mind that if you enter the new writing contest you get writers status. I used to contribute quite a bit to the writers forum but have been slacking lately. I may just have to kick my muses in the butt

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I thought you didn't need "writer" status for Short Stories but did for Collaborative Writing. If that is the fact and you need access, just let me know and we can hook you up.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by mrwupy

I thought you didn't need "writer" status for Short Stories but did for Collaborative Writing. If that is the fact and you need access, just let me know and we can hook you up.

You can post in the short stories forum without writers status, It's just been a policy for as long as I can remember that anyone who entered a writing contest was given writers status.

Double check with Worldwatcher. If that policy has been changed then I wasn't aware and may have just screwed the pooch.

sorry,

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I thought you could just send a u2u to worldwatcher if you have complied with the 'rules' as stated here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I am glad you found this muse to write. It is surprising you picked back up that talent so quickly, since you haven't written in 30 years.

I made a thread called Whatever Happened To The Good Old Writer's Forum, since a couple years back there used to be a lot of work going on. Personally I have to get around to reading the copywrite laws since I may publish my work later and wouldn't want to be bound to ATS in some way.

This writing community can be really inspiring, and if we could get commitment to it than I wonder where it would be taken.

Haven't seen worldwatcher in a while, but I completely understand if she has rl to deal with. Maybe we just post in different places.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I cant remember who it was but someone suggested a while back about putting together a compilation of ATS short story's and having it published.

With the amount of traffic that comes through ATS i'm sure such a book would sell pretty well if it was ever contemplated, not sure if it would have any copyright issues though.

I've entered most of the writing challenges that have been held in the past 2 years and i am continually amazed at some of the talented people here.

Whats even better is it seems that new faces are joining in each time a new challenge is started.

The last contest had a heap of entry's.

mojo

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I love this forum and find it a rewarding escape from the seriousness of the rest. If you start a new writers challenge, they will come...

PS I think I was one that suggested we publish a compilation of the top Short Stories and split the $$$ between the winners and of course ATS Writers Forum.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, let's say someone writes a story here on ats and posts it. Does the author still retain the rights to his/her story, or does it become the property of ATS? Because if I were to write anything I would want the right to be able to do as I wish with my own writing. I am actually a published author already(poetry) and wondered where we stand on this issue?
Thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteWash
Out of curiosity, let's say someone writes a story here on ats and posts it. Does the author still retain the rights to his/her story, or does it become the property of ATS? Because if I were to write anything I would want the right to be able to do as I wish with my own writing. I am actually a published author already(poetry) and wondered where we stand on this issue?
Thanks.

If I recall properly it's shared rights. You can do what you want with your work and ATS could use it as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'd really like to be a part of the writers forum. It may be a great place to kick some thoughts around with others of like minds.

We all know antar would read everything!!

So what to do? I'm game and have plenty of writing I'd like to share.

Thanks,

Becker

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Per the Terms and Conditions The Above Network, LLC and the Author BOTH own non exclusive rights to everything posted on ATS.

The author/poster/member can use his/her own work anywhere/anyhow as can we.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

Hope you did not expect me to read what you wrote about me!
Now back to the newest stories.

new topics

top topics

join