It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia, China challenge US with proposal to ban space weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Russia, China challenge US with proposal to ban space weapons

rawstory.com

China and Russia challenged the United States at a disarmament debate Tuesday by formally presenting a plan to ban weapons in space — a proposal that Washington has called a diplomatic ploy by the two nations to gain a military advantage.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told the 65-nation Conference on Disarmament that "weapons deployment in space by one state" — a reference to the U.S. — could cause a "new spiral in the arms race both in space and on Earth."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 bans the build up or stockage of military weapons -- including nuclear arms or weapons of mass destruction -- in orbit and their installation on the moon, but not the shooting down of satellites.

"Weapons deployment in space by one state will inevitably result in a chain reaction. And this, in turn, is fraught with a new spiral in the arms race both in space and on the earth," Lavrov said.

I think this would be a good idea, simply for the fact that there are enough nuclear weapons in existence to destroy the world many times over. Do we really need to weaponize space too? I thought the aliens had something to say about that...

rawstory.com

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, you know Bush/Cheney are not going to go for that!

They worship war... It's such a good money maker on the taxpayer dime.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Why would we want to ban space weapons when we have spent billions of dollars on ships that fly in space using secret programs like the black budget. Im one of those believers we have technology that is beyond our wildest dreams. We started the stealth bomber in the 60s & 70s and didnt come out for another 20 to 30 years and we wouldnt of thought at that time it was possible. We would never sign a treaty like that weve spent to much money.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If you hadn't noticed, the entire world worships war.

All lollipop fantasy aside, the reality is that whoever gets the most military satellites up there first will control and dominate space.

We aren't going to be living in an altruistic world where countries can agree with each other until they are forced to by a one world government that exhibits majority power over each nation.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AWingAndASigh

After what China did, why should we listen? Perhaps they regret blowing up that satellite that pretty much send the Americans a message? Yeah we got the message! Now you got our message and you afraid by trying to make a ban.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
In this context i believe we can add Dr. Carol Rosin to the story.

nl.youtube.com...

And Dr. Michio Kaku - The Real Star Wars Project

nl.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
We would never sign a treaty like that weve spent to much money.

Hmm, then how was it that nuclear weapons were reduced? It was through agreements and treaties. Plenty of money went to waste there too. But if there's one kind of waste I can tolerate, it's in the dismantling of nuclear weapons. I don't see why space weapons would be any different. Especially when you couple that with non-intervention foreign policy, the withdrawing of all our world's forces back to home base, a sound financial system, and a secure border.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

We would never sign a treaty like that weve spent to much money.

Hmm, then how was it that nuclear weapons were reduced? It was through agreements and treaties. Plenty of money went to waste there too. But if there's one kind of waste I can tolerate, it's in the dismantling of nuclear weapons. I don't see why space weapons would be any different. Especially when you couple that with non-intervention foreign policy, the withdrawing of all our world's forces back to home base, a sound financial system, and a secure border.

The reason why is russia had the capabilities of nuke weapons. I believe our technology in space far far excedes russia. Its kinda like how everyone wants us to give control of the internet over to the UN when we created and funded creating the internet. Think about it China blew up a satellite. If the US was worried about space technology they would be quick to work something out and they are not why? Because we have far far exceding tech.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I think this would be a good idea, simply for the fact that there are enough nuclear weapons in existence to destroy the world many times over. Do we really need to weaponize space too? I thought the aliens had something to say about that...

rawstory.com

Russia and China, who are already lagging greatly behind US in military terms, know they are further going to be left in the dust mainly because of the "final frontier". He who controls the high ground controls his enemys. The US has the money, the technological 'know how' to put weapons in space. Which scares the bejesus out of china and russia.

Part of your comment regards nukes, putting anti ABM weapons in space, which could save us from 'nuclear annihilation' is a part of 'weapons in space', and could prove to be the most effective, affordable way, to go about preventing nations that mean us harm in those regards.

I cant even begin to tell you the type of force projection capability we would have by controlling space. American forces already are very reliant on space. Our reliance on space is only growing.

So are we to stop doing everything russia and china cant do?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Why would we want to ban space weapons when we have spent billions of dollars on ships that fly in space using secret programs like the black budget. Im one of those believers we have technology that is beyond our wildest dreams. We started the stealth bomber in the 60s & 70s and didnt come out for another 20 to 30 years and we wouldnt of thought at that time it was possible. We would never sign a treaty like that weve spent to much money.

Which is a claim that is "out there". However, as certain someone who was one of the higher ups in Northrope Grummen was quoted as saying, "We have the capability to send ET back home". It makes ya kinda wonder...And for conspiracy's sake, Mr. Gary MicKinnon has some interesting claims.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Instead of creating a weapons ban, China and Russia should just send up Nuclear weapons platforms and hang them in Geosynchronous orbit over the United States, put them on a dead man's switch to make sure no-one dares knock it down, or attack it's home base.

That'll deliver a pretty clear message on why space born weapons are a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Instead of creating a weapons ban, China and Russia should just send up Nuclear weapons platforms and hang them in Geosynchronous orbit over the United States, put them on a dead man's switch to make sure no-one dares knock it down, or attack it's home base.

That'll deliver a pretty clear message on why space born weapons are a bad idea.

And what if we (US and allies) could deny russia, china, etc. that capability altogether, essentially denying them access to space if we wanted?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
What makes anyone think that space isn't already weaponized? It never ceases to amaze me that some countries think that, just because we haven't made a public statement about such a project, that it simply doesn't exist.

[sarcasm]
That's just like Obi-Wan in Star Wars Episode 2, finding Kamino, even though it was deleted from the Jedi Archives. Oh wait, did I just make a Star Wars reference?[/sarcasm]

That's right, boys and girls, I believe that Star Wars is real!! Why would Reagan have spent all of those trillions of dollars in an effort to do nothing? He didn't just do nothing; he accomplished the first successful weaponization of space. Well, at least he did, in my humble opinion. That's the only way that any of this makes any sense.

What China and Russia are doing now is just whining because they didn't think of it first. They're on the losing end, and they know it. Hell, I think they know that they've already lost, but are just complaining for the sake of doing so.

But again, this is just my biased take on this. You can think however you like, and I encourage you to do so, but in a polite and civil manner.

TheBorg - Resident Assimilator.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
What makes anyone think that space isn't already weaponized? It never ceases to amaze me that some countries think that, just because we haven't made a public statement about such a project, that it simply doesn't exist.

Oh, it well may exist. But the simple issue I am trying to point out is that it just creates another arms race, which will eventually end up in another stalemate, much like the nuclear weapons issue. So now instead of worrying about being annihilated by a nuclear blast, we have to worry as well about being fried by some space based laser gun or high capacity sound weapon?

Global warfare is starting to resemble more of a cook book than anything else: will it be roasted russian today, charred chinamen, or alfredo americans?

I think they are doing the right thing, and the administration ought to seriously consider this proposal. It will save all countries incredible amounts of money, and will also reduce the additional potential for accidents. I'm honestly amazed we've made it this far without accidentally igniting WW3 over a nuclear weapons accident. Adding space based weapons to the mix only increases those chances. This stupid planet is going to become one big trip wire where the slightest movement will be enough to make us all go boom. No thanks.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Oh, it well may exist. But the simple issue I am trying to point out is that it just creates another arms race, which will eventually end up in another stalemate, much like the nuclear weapons issue. So now instead of worrying about being annihilated by a nuclear blast, we have to worry as well about being fried by some space based laser gun or high capacity sound weapon?

No single nation today, can afford an arms race with the US. The US in total, spends 629.5 billion dollars total (without counting black budget spending). Now that 629 billion is not solely military related, some is veteran funds, coupled in with the afghan Iraq wars. However, Nearly 500 billion (I believe DoD projected military spending for 08 to be around 476 billion) is used to maintain, and sustain american forces. 73.2 billion dollars goes into R&D spending alone for the US military, which is more then Russia, and GB spend on their entire militarys.

top topics

join